Aus Car Tax?

Old Jul 11th 2011, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

debs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nice
Default Aus Car Tax?

Hi

Can anybody please advise me my partners Aunty is looking to sell her car in Perth. We are possibly looking to buy it when we land in Perth.

But would like to ask do you pay Car Tax in Perth? Also, somebody mentioned we would need to pay Stamp Duty on the vehicle is this correct?

Do they do MOTs in Australia like they do here in the UK? Also, can anybody please advise me of some good car insurance companies please?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Debbie
Old Jul 11th 2011, 9:44 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aus Car Tax?

Hi, there is no car tax as such but you have yearly registration and compulsory 3rd party insurance, this insurance covers INJURY but NOT property damage. Here in Queensland it is about $600 to $850 depending on the vehicle, I dont know about WA, damage insurance isnt compulsory so it is advisable to get your own in case you hit an uninsured vehicle or they hit you. You pay stamp duty on the value of the car when you purchase it, it's a couple of % I think.
For insurance I would avoid the big players and look at Budget Direct and Bingle, I have dealt with both with no issues at all.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 12:04 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Insurance-wise... if you're fresh off the boat and have no proof of Australian no claims bonsu you might do well to look at NRMA. They have the advantage of assessing your no climas discount based on 'years driving without claim' rather than 'years insured in australia without claim'.

This enabled me to get my '60% rating 1' rather than '0% rating 6' when I first insured a car - which saved me a small fortune. Of course after a year with NRMA I was able to transfer to a cheaper insurer compelte with my proff of 'rating 1' from a bona fide Australian insurer.

My cars are now insured with QBE - who happened to be cheaper for me than any of the budget direct/bingle/real online insurers. For the record when I had my bike insure with QBE they paid out no problem at all in a reasonable time frame on a total loss - so I have no worries about their claims processes.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 12:39 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

We have a 2009 Toyota Prado Diesel. Our rego for the year is $564. We recently renewed our car insurance. Shopped around again and our premium with Allianz is $705 for the year.

This website http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/licensing/20417.asp will answer all your questions about transfer of ownership.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 2:46 am
Forum Regular

Brisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Insurance-wise... if you're fresh off the boat and have no proof of Australian no claims bonsu you might do well to look at NRMA. They have the advantage of assessing your no climas discount based on 'years driving without claim' rather than 'years insured in australia without claim'.

This enabled me to get my '60% rating 1' rather than '0% rating 6' when I first insured a car - which saved me a small fortune. Of course after a year with NRMA I was able to transfer to a cheaper insurer compelte with my proff of 'rating 1' from a bona fide Australian insurer.

My cars are now insured with QBE - who happened to be cheaper for me than any of the budget direct/bingle/real online insurers. For the record when I had my bike insure with QBE they paid out no problem at all in a reasonable time frame on a total loss - so I have no worries about their claims processes.
I got the same with RACQ, rating one for life with no proof.

Re STAMP DUTY - yes, you pay this as a percentage of the price paid for the car... unless the car is a "gift" which is feasable if it's from your aunt. Obviously if you're paying money for it, it would be very wrong to not declare this and then pay the stamp duty on it. I'm sure the government needs the money more than you do.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 6:06 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

The problem I found was that companies like RACQ would offer me all these 'benefits' for free with a policy but they were about double the cost of the no frills companies.
I've never heard of not paying the stamp duty if the car was a gift, I would have thought it was too open to abuse.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 6:18 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
The problem I found was that companies like RACQ would offer me all these 'benefits' for free with a policy but they were about double the cost of the no frills companies.
I've never heard of not paying the stamp duty if the car was a gift, I would have thought it was too open to abuse.
We had a bad experience with a 'no frills' insurance company who just went out of business. I know large companies can also fold but I felt better with one of the big ones. The company concerned didn't even write to us, it was only when we were wondering where our renewal notice was and decided to phone that we found out. I wonder what would have happened if we wanted to make a claim?
Old Jul 12th 2011, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

Brisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by chris955
There is a box for it on the QLD rego transfer form, think it's the same for WA, but I think it affects the market value. It's a bit of a scam, like in the UK paying VAT every time commercial vehicles change hands.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

From WA change of ownership form

The term “dutiable value” is defined by Division 5 of the Duties Act 2008. The following interpretation is provided as a guide only.

blah blah blah...

NOTE: Vehicles which are transferred for no monetary gain need to have an amount provided for which the vehicle might reasonably be sold, free of
encumbrances in the open market. i.e. its dutiable value.

FFS
Old Jul 12th 2011, 10:47 am
Banned

Yes so even if it was given to you by your parents or you inherited it or whatever you still have to pay stamp duty on it. They dont often miss out.