Aus banks - what's the problem ?

Old Jan 29th 2004, 1:28 pm
Merlot

Default Re: Commission

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
It's better than Roast Beef !!
Its Chateaubriand.

I'm still trying to find somewhere out here that cooks it though

That's what I like to see, a touch of class on the Forum.

Posh Roast Beef but extremely nice!

Must be about 30 quid a pound these days?

Old Jan 29th 2004, 1:43 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Merlot
That's what I like to see, a touch of class on the Forum.

Posh Roast Beef but extremely nice!

Must be about 30 quid a pound these days?
I saw it at £28 a lb at one UK web site, but i've been quoted $19 kilo locally.

I am getting close to buying some and cooking it myself

Old Jan 29th 2004, 1:53 pm
Merlot

I saw it at £28 a lb at one UK web site, but i've been quoted $19 kilo locally.

I am getting close to buying some and cooking it myself
I'm on the plane!

Old Jan 29th 2004, 2:03 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Roast Pork - $12 / kg - good / better than best beef.
Old Jan 29th 2004, 2:04 pm
ABCDiamond

I'm on the plane!
Yes, you dont need a HSBC bank loan to buy the steak. That reminds me this thread is about Banks !!

Old Jan 29th 2004, 2:05 pm
Merlot

Originally posted by Megalania
With crackling? Sorry off to Megalania's!

Old Jan 29th 2004, 2:06 pm
Merlot

Yes, you dont need a HSBC bank loan to buy the steak. That reminds me this thread is about Banks !!
Sorry back to Banks, HSBC is still the way to go.

Old Jan 29th 2004, 2:10 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Megalania
My local butcher does that for $ 2.99 kg. ( with crackling )

Do you think we should start a price of meat thread ?

Old Jan 29th 2004, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

If the only reason to use HSBC is the convenience of opening up an account while in the UK, I would reconsider.

http://www.hsbc.com.au/utility/locations/branch.html

There are way too few branches around for my liking.
Old Jan 29th 2004, 2:28 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by dracupg
If the only reason to use HSBC is the convenience of opening up an account while in the UK, I would reconsider.

http://www.hsbc.com.au/utility/locations/branch.html

There are way too few branches around for my liking.
Here is what you get:

A high 4.50% p.a. interest rate (on over $2,000 deposit)
Fee-free internet banking options
Unlimited HSBC ATM transactions
Five free ATM transactions per month, at any bank ATM
Free BPAY bill payments, EFTPOS and GiroPost access
Free Telephone Banking access
Cheque book option
Instant access to withdrawals
Interest calculated daily and paid monthly
No minimum balance after opening
Link to your online broking, managed funds or margin lending accounts

Funds can be accessed at over 7000 ATMs, 150,000 EFTPOS and at 2,500 giroPOST offices throughout Australia and worldwide more than 400,000 ATMs and 1 million Maestro and Cirrus outlets.

see HSBC for more information.

Old Jan 29th 2004, 2:52 pm
I CU HACKN

keyurlavingia is an unknown quantity at this point

Here is what you get:

A high 4.50% p.a. interest rate (on over $2,000 deposit)
Fee-free internet banking options
Unlimited HSBC ATM transactions
Five free ATM transactions per month, at any bank ATM
Free BPAY bill payments, EFTPOS and GiroPost access
Free Telephone Banking access
Cheque book option
Instant access to withdrawals
Interest calculated daily and paid monthly
No minimum balance after opening
Link to your online broking, managed funds or margin lending accounts

Funds can be accessed at over 7000 ATMs, 150,000 EFTPOS and at 2,500 giroPOST offices throughout Australia and worldwide more than 400,000 ATMs and 1 million Maestro and Cirrus outlets.

see HSBC for more information.

Looks to me like HSBC is the way to go. I have been in the US for almost 4.5 years now and have been banking with a Credit Union since the beginning. They are based somewhere near Boston and have a few branches there, but I am in Virginia, almost 500 miles away from the nearest branch. They offer me upto $5 per month in bank fees charged by other banks when I use their ATMs. They have direct deposit and free internet banking. I am sure it would work for me as long as I get this much, which I guess HSBC would offer me there in Oz.

I read somewhere there are charges for writing cheques with Oz banks. Is that correct ? Do they have something like Cash-back that we have here in the US ? Like when u buy groceries, you can also get some cash from the cashier and charge it all to your debit card.

Keyur.
Old Jan 29th 2004, 3:01 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by keyurlavingia
Looks to me like HSBC is the way to go. I have been in the US for almost 4.5 years now and have been banking with a Credit Union since the beginning. They are based somewhere near Boston and have a few branches there, but I am in Virginia, almost 500 miles away from the nearest branch. They offer me upto $5 per month in bank fees charged by other banks when I use their ATMs. They have direct deposit and free internet banking. I am sure it would work for me as long as I get this much, which I guess HSBC would offer me there in Oz.

I read somewhere there are charges for writing cheques with Oz banks. Is that correct ? Do they have something like Cash-back that we have here in the US ? Like when u buy groceries, you can also get some cash from the cashier and charge it all to your debit card.

Keyur.
Yes, Cash back is available in most supermarkets, although i've never used it myself, but the cashier always asks !!

HSBC Cheque payments incur a fee of $1.00 per cheque. I pay everyone by internet banking for Free.

First 5 non HSBC ATM transactions per month are free and thereafter $2.00 per transaction. So cash back is good because of that!

Old Jan 29th 2004, 3:47 pm
Merlot

Yes, Cash back is available in most supermarkets, although i've never used it myself, but the cashier always asks !!

HSBC Cheque payments incur a fee of $1.00 per cheque. I pay everyone by internet banking for Free.

First 5 non HSBC ATM transactions per month are free and thereafter $2.00 per transaction. So cash back is good because of that!
In NSW I have never been chraged for a cheque, not sure if that is a local tax thing? We used to have BAD tax for each cheque written, 30 cents - now no longer!

Old Jan 29th 2004, 4:50 pm
ABCDiamond

In NSW I have never been chraged for a cheque, not sure if that is a local tax thing? We used to have BAD tax for each cheque written, 30 cents - now no longer!
It's actually a Bank thing. Maybe the banks that charge a monthly fee, give a cheque book with no charges for use. But HSBC, not charging any monthly fees do charge for each personal cheque you use.

CBA also charge $1 per cheque. And they even charge $5 pm account keeping fee aswell.

Let us know if any bank, in Australia, dont charge for having a personal cheque book facility.

Old Jan 29th 2004, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

Originally posted by sjn2003 By the way, you are our no. 1 nomination to open the Expats Bank Sounds like it could be something you could knock together in your lunch hour !!
The facts in Herman v Commbank were somewhat unusual but the outcome was not acceptable and Commbank should be lifting its game.

As to starting new banks, the market was opened to forign banks some time ago. Many rushed in and most lost their shirts including the mighty Barclays.

Whereever you are, banking services cost. Traditionally, banks everywhere have been really good at hiding their charges by an "excessive" spread between lending and borrowing rates, merchant charges and 'low' transaction fees. The policy of the ACCC is to make banking costs/charges transparent.

Heavy competition in the mortgage lending business has shaved margins there; merchants can now offer discounts for cash. Get ready for increases in bank fees at least ones that are visible. The community has always been paying them, it's just that they aren't hidden.

I'd rather see the fees and exploit strategies that minimise them than be screwed by stealth and rave on about "free" banking.

On a related tack, a lecturer in business at a London university told me there is no counterpart of BPay in the UK. Is that correct? Did he misunderstand my question?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.