Reload this Page >

Aus bank account from the UK

Aus bank account from the UK

Old Nov 24th 2004, 8:28 am
jjj
Forum Regular

jjj is on a distinguished road
Default Aus bank account from the UK

Got the info and application form yesterday to open an Australian Bank account with HSBC (we are still in the UK) but after reading the info I think maybe the manager has giving me wrong stuff.

Is a "foreign currency account" different to a foreign account?
Old Nov 24th 2004, 9:53 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Aus bank account from the UK

Originally Posted by jjj
Got the info and application form yesterday to open an Australian Bank account with HSBC (we are still in the UK) but after reading the info I think maybe the manager has giving me wrong stuff.

Hmmm, sounds funny

This is what I normally say:
Ring the HSBC Bank, International Branch Tel: 020 7991 7278
(Local High Street Branches may not know about it)

Old Nov 24th 2004, 10:09 am
jjj
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Hmmm, sounds funny

This is what I normally say:
Ring the HSBC Bank, International Branch Tel: 020 7991 7278
(Local High Street Branches may not know about it)

Thank you have just rung them but need to have my account no. on me so they can do a account reference check on me before they send the forms - will ring again when I get home. Spoke to a very pleasant AUSTRALIAN lady.
Old Nov 24th 2004, 9:34 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjj

It is different.

If they have given you the forms to open an AUD account in the UK, then forget it, it's not what you need.

Try calling the HSBC international division, most branches seem clueless about this. If you get nowhere by doing that, go to the Commonwealth Bank's London branch instead.

Jeremy
Old Nov 25th 2004, 7:38 am
jjj
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
It is different.

If they have given you the forms to open an AUD account in the UK, then forget it, it's not what you need.

Try calling the HSBC international division, most branches seem clueless about this. If you get nowhere by doing that, go to the Commonwealth Bank's London branch instead.

Jeremy

Thanx Jeremy
You are right about them been clueless - it took 3 clerks/cashier and the branch manager to get me the wrong form!

Will ring the international division
Old Nov 25th 2004, 12:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by JAJ
It is different.

Jeremy
I've just set up accounts with the Commonwealth Bank. Took a couple of minutes to complete the forms. Received a letter and info back this morning stating my London account is set up and instructions how to transfer money to this account. Once in Aus they've given me the branch contact No. and I need to go down with passport and ID etc to open the account and transfer then access the money deposited in the London account. Really easy.
I have past experiences with HSBC that influenced my decision to choose the Commonwealth.

Try looking at

www.migrantbanking.co.uk

Hope this is useful
Old Nov 25th 2004, 1:52 pm
jjj
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Stewie
I've just set up accounts with the Commonwealth Bank. Took a couple of minutes to complete the forms. Received a letter and info back this morning stating my London account is set up and instructions how to transfer money to this account. Once in Aus they've given me the branch contact No. and I need to go down with passport and ID etc to open the account and transfer then access the money deposited in the London account. Really easy.
I have past experiences with HSBC that influenced my decision to choose the Commonwealth.

Try looking at

www.migrantbanking.co.uk

Hope this is useful

Many thanks for your reply

will have a look at the link and if there is branches in Adelaide we will do the same as you with regards to opening account
Thanx
Old Nov 25th 2004, 1:57 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjj
Many thanks for your reply

will have a look at the link and if there is branches in Adelaide we will do the same as you with regards to opening account
Thanx
Commonwealth Bank have one of the largest branch networks in Australia.

Jeremy
Old Nov 25th 2004, 4:37 pm

nikkers will become famous soon enoughnikkers will become famous soon enough

We set up our HSBC bank account by phoning the International branch in London then taking the forms to our local branch.

Its all opened and we have received our ATM cards, cheque books,paying in books,pin numbers and details to access the account online.

We now can add money when the rate is good as its all activated.We had to open with $2000 and have already had interest added.

When we go to OZ we just have to change our address!

We have had no problems so far!

Nikki x
Old Nov 25th 2004, 7:03 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

You should try opening a UK account from within the UK

I've been trying to open a web only savings account to put my house funds in. I already have 2 accounts and a credit card with the same bank (have had for 6 years+) but after 2 letters from them requesting more info and a cheque, I phoned them. The lady says "I thought this was a web only account?", to which IU replied (of course) "That's what I thought too " Also - a cheque???? It's a web only account. I wanted it setting up and then I wuold transfer the funds in via the net.... The advice I got from the call centre was 'Call your branch'.

Jeez, what's the point?
Old Nov 25th 2004, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jjj

I have used commonwealth bank as others have mentioned and to be honest I cant fault them thus far. The bank charge in OZ are a bit of a pain, but when I get there I will look around for the best deals and move / setup new accounts if neccesary

Dave