Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aus $ - Good or Bad???

Aus $ - Good or Bad???

Old Aug 2nd 2005, 9:53 am
FayenPaul

faye_gillan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Aus $ - Good or Bad???

Hi there, just wondered is it worth transfering money at the moment as we are emigrating to NSW on the 10th of Aug. Have seen the $ as high as 2.38 is this likely over the next couple of wks.
Cheers
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 10:47 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aus $ - Good or Bad???

Originally Posted by faye_gillan
Hi there, just wondered is it worth transfering money at the moment as we are emigrating to NSW on the 10th of Aug. Have seen the $ as high as 2.38 is this likely over the next couple of wks.
Cheers
Hi Faye

I can't believe that it's time for your big move!!!! How are you feeling about it??? How's the family feeling???? Good luck with i all..... enjoy

Lynn
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 11:03 am
FayenPaul

Hi Lynn,

I know I canny believe it either it is just mad right now, rushing round seeing everyone! almost a week to go! ahh! Family and Friends being really great v supportive so thats good, still doesn't feel real but know it will when we finally step on that plane! Wahhh! Oh my god!.

Just trying to get things tied up with money, removals and work etc. Hope you are all fine. Heard Brian and Debbie's good news to the family. Have they been over to see you guys? x
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 1:13 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by faye_gillan
Cheers
Crystal Ball Gazing is perhaps your only option I'm afraid to find the answer to this one

The Bank of England is expected to cut interest rates on Thursday. This will not have a good effect on the rate. But then again there are many other factors...

If only we knew - but then I'd be a FX trader
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 1:24 pm
FayenPaul

Cheers mate, just one big gamble really!!!!!!!!!
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
Crystal Ball Gazing is perhaps your only option I'm afraid to find the answer to this one

The Bank of England is expected to cut interest rates on Thursday. This will not have a good effect on the rate. But then again there are many other factors...

If only we knew - but then I'd be a FX trader
I think the market has already factored in the rate cut this week so don't think it'll fall on that announcemnt.

It would be nice for it to get back to at least 2.40 in the next couple of weeks though.
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 2:05 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marco121068
I think the market has already factored in the rate cut this week so don't think it'll fall on that announcemnt.
I was just thinking that after reading a news story that the UK high street is still suffering. Rough calculations suggest that if the BoE surprise everyone and don't cut rates that should be worth a 2c rise on the rate. Cross your fingers!

Last edited by worzel; Aug 2nd 2005 at 2:15 pm.
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 2:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
I was just thinking that after reading a news story that the UK high street is still suffering. Rough calculations suggest that if the BoE surprise everyone and don't raise rates that should be worth a 2c rise on the rate. Cross your fingers!
Worzel I think you mean CUT rates don't you??
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 2:16 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marco121068
Worzel I think you mean CUT rates don't you??
Just testing!
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Just testing!
For a second there I thought you'd already started on the
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 6:27 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

I was just thinking that after reading a news story that the UK high street is still suffering. Rough calculations suggest that if the BoE surprise everyone and don't cut rates that should be worth a 2c rise on the rate. Cross your fingers!
I'm confused - are you saying that things may improve in the next few days ie. the rate could go to 2.4/ 2.5 to the pound?

Lynn
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 7:09 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun
I'm confused - are you saying that things may improve in the next few days ie. the rate could go to 2.4/ 2.5 to the pound?

Lynn
I think what's been said is that rates may rise 2 cents ($2.34)...not 20 cents - I wish!!

But who knows - at the moment rates are currently being effected apparently by the recent copper find in an Australian mine, the UK interest rate, UK's financial position overall (a trillion in debt apparantly now), the strengthing australian market due to the revaluation of the chinese currency, random magnetic forces, aliens and the number of sightings of Elvis

Who knows whats going to be in the news tommorrow!

In all seriousness there is no way of telling what will happen at the moment - its frustrating but sadly true Personally I think its not going to go down much after the news of the bombings etc has already impacted but then again...

Now - where's my crystal ball gone....I put it somewhere...
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 7:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the rough

Dunno anything about the markets etc (thought inflation was something to do with balloons)...but.....

I spoke to someone at Moneycorp who reckoned that all the analysts seems to think that the Ozzie dollar is to drop soon (although he may have been talking about months not weeks as we plan to go in March 2006), apparently seemed to think that with increased house prices, inflation etc the dollar is to weaken (he likened it to the state the UK was in a few years ago)....obviously it could go the other way, but he reckoned holding out for $2.35 or $2.40 would be reasonable (again this may be over a few months time).

Hope this helps...
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by MrFlibbleUK
Dunno anything about the markets etc (thought inflation was something to do with balloons)...but.....

I spoke to someone at Moneycorp who reckoned that all the analysts seems to think that the Ozzie dollar is to drop soon (although he may have been talking about months not weeks as we plan to go in March 2006), apparently seemed to think that with increased house prices, inflation etc the dollar is to weaken (he likened it to the state the UK was in a few years ago)....obviously it could go the other way, but he reckoned holding out for $2.35 or $2.40 would be reasonable (again this may be over a few months time).

Hope this helps...
Thanks for sharing that - lets hope so!

Lynn
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by Centurion
I think what's been said is that rates may rise 2 cents ($2.34)...not 20 cents - I wish!!

But who knows - at the moment rates are currently being effected apparently by the recent copper find in an Australian mine, the UK interest rate, UK's financial position overall (a trillion in debt apparantly now), the strengthing australian market due to the revaluation of the chinese currency, random magnetic forces, aliens and the number of sightings of Elvis

Who knows whats going to be in the news tommorrow!

In all seriousness there is no way of telling what will happen at the moment - its frustrating but sadly true Personally I think its not going to go down much after the news of the bombings etc has already impacted but then again...

Now - where's my crystal ball gone....I put it somewhere...
Thanks for clearing that up - i'm not particularly financially minded!

Lynn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.