Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

AUD to £ - back to 2.65 - anyone know why?

AUD to £ - back to 2.65 - anyone know why?

Old Mar 11th 2003, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

kevmitch is on a distinguished road
Default AUD to £ - back to 2.65 - anyone know why?

The £ has strengthened by 6 cents over the last 12 hours - can anyone throw any light on why? I thought we were about to go to war and the £ would be weak for a time.

I'm coming to the conclusion that currency rates are random - and its something of a lottery as to when and at what rate to exchange at.
Old Mar 11th 2003, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

porkchop is an unknown quantity at this point

looked on the text on tv and found that the au$ rate as increased as they believe PB will return to the uk if it gets a bit higher.

I believe the case for war is not having much of a change on the rate as Aus will also go to war if we do.
:lecture:
Old Mar 11th 2003, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by porkchop
looked on the text on tv and found that the au$ rate as increased as they believe PB will return to the uk if it gets a bit higher.

I believe the case for war is not having much of a change on the rate as Aus will also go to war if we do.
:lecture:
It will have to go the other way to 'tempt' PB back - more £s for his hard earned Aussie Dollars. More likely the UK authorities got wind of his imminent return and decided to intervene in the money markets to stop him returning!
Old Mar 11th 2003, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

I hope Pb dont read this as he is not clever enough to work out for himself which way it needs to move.
The other theory for the rate change is to encourage some decent upstanding UK citizens in to Aus.

:PARTY:

'Id rather be handsome than rich'
Old Mar 11th 2003, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

Shikse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: AUD to £ - back to 2.65 - anyone know why?

The Forex market has already discounted all the bad news - i.e. expecting a war. Reckon it's a short covering retracement back to 2.67 (ish). If we break that level, then perhaps we'll get back up to 2.80's again.........wishful thinking mind. Rumours in the US regarding mortgage backers (Ginny Maes) not having enough dosh put aside (4% instead of the expected 10%), could be another Enron scenario?!

My two cents worth. And yes, what do I know.
Old Mar 11th 2003, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

With the Ausralian economy becoming a victim of its own strength, there is speculation that interest rates may be increased to reduce consumer spending.
This would generaly keep the AU$ strong,
SO BEWARE.
:scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:
Old Mar 11th 2003, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant future

Do images work in here?

Maybe not!
Mike.

Last edited by Wendy&Mike; Apr 24th 2003 at 3:38 pm.
Old Mar 11th 2003, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Wendy&Mike
Do images work in here?

Maybe not!
Mike.
Yep - nice one!!! Try looking at a 'daily bar chart' other than the '5 min' one shown.
Old Mar 11th 2003, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

Gone up to 2.6710 now!! Get up there my son!!
Old Mar 11th 2003, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

well it's pretty clear even for all the ostriches that recession is upon us big time....

all economies will suffer

some sooner than others -some more so
but all will go tits up none the less

funnily enough when did you last hear gordon brown say 'prudence' or 'no more boom and bust'??

to all those stupid enough to believe tony blair and new labour enough to vote for them -

gee thanks for nothing.....!!!!!

cheers

richard
Old Mar 11th 2003, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by r.bartlett
well it's pretty clear even for all the ostriches that recession is upon us big time....

all economies will suffer

some sooner than others -some more so
but all will go tits up none the less

funnily enough when did you last hear gordon brown say 'prudence' or 'no more boom and bust'??

to all those stupid enough to believe tony blair and new labour enough to vote for them -

gee thanks for nothing.....!!!!!

cheers

richard
agree, agree, agree. i've been saying exactly that for months and months now, just waiting for it go belly up
Old Mar 11th 2003, 9:26 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Shikse
agree, agree, agree. i've been saying exactly that for months and months now, just waiting for it go belly up
as someone who works in mergers and acquisitions, i can assure you it went tits up over 12 months ago, everywhere. we've had redundancies in london and more coming, which has been mirrored here in sydney. they produce adviser league tables for the number of corporate deals investment banks advise on - last year the figures for sydney were pitiful, some of the big name investment banks had only 1 or in some cases 0 deals in 2003. not that i'm bothered by that but its usually a good barometer of the economy - in a recession everyone looks short term and stops corporate acquisitions, when times are good they start thinking beyond the end of the next quarters results. interestingly though, the news from london is that over the last month some corporates have started to consider acquisitions again, so maybe, just maybe, things may be about to pick up.
Old Mar 12th 2003, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Herman
as someone who works in mergers and acquisitions, i can assure you it went tits up over 12 months ago, everywhere. we've had redundancies in london and more coming, which has been mirrored here in sydney. they produce adviser league tables for the number of corporate deals investment banks advise on - last year the figures for sydney were pitiful, some of the big name investment banks had only 1 or in some cases 0 deals in 2003. not that i'm bothered by that but its usually a good barometer of the economy - in a recession everyone looks short term and stops corporate acquisitions, when times are good they start thinking beyond the end of the next quarters results. interestingly though, the news from london is that over the last month some corporates have started to consider acquisitions again, so maybe, just maybe, things may be about to pick up.
I wouldn't disagree - I've seen the same thing from a recruitment perspective. BUT.. I don't think things have changed dramatically in the last 24 hours (we've not suddenly seen a rush of new jobs announced in the UK, for instance) - so why the dramatic change in the exchange rate - or is it the £s 'turn' this week (I'm just a cynic who believes the money markets are deliberately manipulated by the Forex traders to allow them to make decent margins and mugs out of the general population)
Old Mar 12th 2003, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

gbarker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default £ Vs $Au

The exchange rate has gone up to almost $2.70 - that's nearly 10 cents up on the day. Something strange is going on...but let's hope it carries on for a while longer yet!
Old Mar 12th 2003, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: £ Vs $Au

Originally posted by gbarker
The exchange rate has gone up to almost $2.70 - that's nearly 10 cents up on the day. Something strange is going on...but let's hope it carries on for a while longer yet!

Ditto

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.