Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Auctions fall despite grant boost

Auctions fall despite grant boost

Old Oct 20th 2008, 9:28 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Auctions fall despite grant boost

Originally Posted by spottydog
From what I've seen it depends on the auction results that are reported. I have seen properties sold a couple of weeks prior to the auction included in the auction results listings and also properties that did not sell at auction not included in the listing results. Personally I don't trust the auction clearance figures at all as I know the areas I watch (Sydney) sometimes have 5 auctions on a Saturday but come Sunday only the 1 that was sold is actually on the listing for the clearance rate calculations.
The real estate industry provides the results. My experiences of the industry are that it is full of frauds. The recent head of a Victorian body was booted out because he had not been paying his contractors. The press are lazy and just take any bit of opinion flying their way whether it be the real estate lobby or a mortgage company. Fairfax owns Domain so The Age and Sydney Morning Herald do their bit to pump it up a bit more. News Limited has interests in Realestate.com.au and

Right now demand is still limited as those who applied after the capital maket freeze probably have not got their finance in order. The big question is whether they can get enough capital as the banks now have a vastly different lending criteria. They now even value properties and lend on that criteria. How novel.

My fear is that the government gurantees will bring back lax lending that got us in the poo in the first place.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 11:22 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IvanM
The real estate industry provides the results. My experiences of the industry are that it is full of frauds. The recent head of a Victorian body was booted out because he had not been paying his contractors. The press are lazy and just take any bit of opinion flying their way whether it be the real estate lobby or a mortgage company. Fairfax owns Domain so The Age and Sydney Morning Herald do their bit to pump it up a bit more. News Limited has interests in Realestate.com.au and

Right now demand is still limited as those who applied after the capital maket freeze probably have not got their finance in order. The big question is whether they can get enough capital as the banks now have a vastly different lending criteria. They now even value properties and lend on that criteria. How novel.

My fear is that the government gurantees will bring back lax lending that got us in the poo in the first place.
Recent dealings with local Melbourne agent:

Half block of vacant land advertised as $450k+ (first agent dealing with me said he would take $450k). - She went on holiday for 3 weeks so....

Second agent in office (I called another time for further details) informs me that the vendor has already several offers with one at $510k. Tell him I would prefer to await auction, but would like evidence to support this $510k claim - was told they were not legally allowed to show this???.

Auction - no bids except vendor - $450k, $470k, $490k passed in - i even had a phone call the night before telling me the property might get passed in and that I should remember the highest bidder had sole rights for further negotiation????

5 weeks later I called and whoa behold the other buyers have disappeared and no offers stand??? I put an offer in....

$250k might hear back tommorrow it was conditional on 24 hour acceptance.
Ps its only 325sqm of land
Old Oct 20th 2008, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent

Half block of vacant land advertised as $450k+ (first agent dealing with me said he would take $450k). - She went on holiday for 3 weeks so....

Second agent in office (I called another time for further details) informs me that the vendor has already several offers with one at $510k. Tell him I would prefer to await auction, but would like evidence to support this $510k claim - was told they were not legally allowed to show this???.

Auction - no bids except vendor - $450k, $470k, $490k passed in - i even had a phone call the night before telling me the property might get passed in and that I should remember the highest bidder had sole rights for further negotiation????

5 weeks later I called and whoa behold the other buyers have disappeared and no offers stand??? I put an offer in....

Jesus - this is frightening.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 2:11 pm
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DrWho
MELBOURNE'S property market yesterday suffered its worst day in at least four years, despite yesterday being the first auction day when prospective buyers had access to the increased first-home buyers grant.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/au...1018-53nk.html

That worked Kevin...

Read some other newspapers (West Australian) and it's explained that the demographic of people who buy at auctions are typically not first-time-home-buyers. There never was an expectation that auctions would suddenly take off after the grant was increased. If it does have an effect at that level it will take a while to filter up.

Some poor sensationalist reporting if there ever was any.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 8:53 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent

I got the "put your best bid in as someone else is interested" line on a place 2 months ago. It is still sat there on realestate.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

It also said in the papers that a lot of vendors have removed their properties from market and are reinstated them with an increased selling price because of the grant.

I know a house down the road was 645 and now its 685k