Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Auckland bound Info needed on suburbs where to rent....

Auckland bound Info needed on suburbs where to rent....

Old Sep 13th 2003, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

jonah111 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Auckland bound Info needed on suburbs where to rent....

Finally heading out to Auckland 25th September...can anybody out there help me on where to rent & which suburbs are best to rent, also have schools to think about for the kids, commuting distance from the city for early morning shift work....Also like most on the forum will hopefully get around to buy when rented for about 6 months....in need of help sharpish......................

Mick..
Old Sep 13th 2003, 10:01 pm
Mrtravel

Default Re: Auckland bound Info needed on suburbs where to rent....

jjonah111 wrote:

> Finally heading out to Auckland 25th September...can anybody out there
    > help me on where to rent & which suburbs are best to rent, also have
    > schools to think about for the kids, commuting distance from the city
    > for early morning shift work....Also like most on the forum will
    > hopefully get around to buy when rented for about 6 months....in need of
    > help sharpish......................
    >

Why are you moving to Auckland. Do you or your spouse know anyone there?

Old Sep 13th 2003, 10:47 pm
Shannon

Originally posted by jonah111
Finally heading out to Auckland 25th September...can anybody out there help me on where to rent & which suburbs are best to rent, also have schools to think about for the kids, commuting distance from the city for early morning shift work....Also like most on the forum will hopefully get around to buy when rented for about 6 months....in need of help sharpish......................

Mick..
You posted to the US-marriage-based forum, not Australia. Try them.

S

Old Sep 18th 2003, 3:47 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

LOL Shannon I think maybe your geograpy isnt up on foreign countries. Auckland is in New Zealand so going to the Australian site would be of no help at all. Being a kiwi myself I get so tired of people asking me about Kangaroos etc & asking me to say Gidday mate to them, another couple of Australian things!!

Cheers shepslady
Old Sep 18th 2003, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

smithone is an unknown quantity at this point

Do a search on the word "Auckland" and you'll find lots of threads about where to live.

So many variables - your budget, the home you want, beach life or suburbia, commute time etc etc etc.

Very hard to make recommendations with so little info.

If you give more detail I'll give my view on areas to live.
Old Sep 19th 2003, 9:54 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by smithone
Do a search on the word "Auckland" and you'll find lots of threads about where to live.

So many variables - your budget, the home you want, beach life or suburbia, commute time etc etc etc.

Very hard to make recommendations with so little info.

If you give more detail I'll give my view on areas to live.
Thanks for the reply

Don't know where to start really have only just joined so new member and all that, as you already know we are flying out on the 25th September and staying in Motel for around a week so we are looking for rental for about 6 months but we have kids so we have the issues with schools etc.... would like to eventually live out either West not too far from the beach, or out on the East side maybe Titarangu probably mis-spelling, but most importantly in my books is my kids education decent schools. Getting into CBD for work is not a problem by reading most threads i have come across since only been doing this chat for a week now.

Mick
Old Sep 21st 2003, 5:03 am
Forum Regular

The Simpsons is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply

Don't know where to start really have only just joined so new member and all that, as you already know we are flying out on the 25th September and staying in Motel for around a week so we are looking for rental for about 6 months but we have kids so we have the issues with schools etc.... would like to eventually live out either West not too far from the beach, or out on the East side maybe Titarangu probably mis-spelling, but most importantly in my books is my kids education decent schools. Getting into CBD for work is not a problem by reading most threads i have come across since only been doing this chat for a week now.

Mick
Hi Mick,

I suggest you think about staying at the motel for at least two weeks probably 3, as it'll take a while to get a rental sorted. I've been here in Auckland for a couple of weeks and I've only just signed up for my rental. You'll need to chat to some local real estate agents, who will give you a good idea of schools etc. I got a recommendation for a school and got their zoning list so I could rent within the school zone. But the house I really wanted was 1 street out of the zone!

If you're getting a car as soon as you get here, you'll be able to do lots of 'drive by's' of houses on the real estate agents rental lists, which can be got outside the agents offices every friday,and make sure you get the zoning lists for the schools. I got them faxed to my hotel directly from the schools. Traffic can be bad here and I've been stuck in some jams during rush hour. Titirangi is south west of the CBD. I've just rented east of the city about 15 minutes by bus.

Anyway, I've not been here long so I'm not an expert at all this, but good luck and let us know how you get on.
Old Sep 21st 2003, 6:12 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future
Talking

Hi Jonah...

Maybe this is your lucky day mate. Guess where i live??? Titirangi!!
Although we are moving to Adelaide in the next couple of months, just tell me what you want to know and i will see if i can help you.

First off, i will say that Titirangi is a lovely place to live, especially for kids. lots of bush walks and beaches close by, although not that great for swimming. The village is a great place to meet people especially the local cafe called "Hardware Cafe" the waitresses are a great bunch of girls and always friendly.

Asi siad above...think up some questions and i'll see if i can answer them.
Old Sep 21st 2003, 6:19 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Mick..
Ooops..silly me..i just noted that yo have asked some questions.

First off. I need to know which part of Auckland you will be working in to tell you how long it will take to commute from Titirangi. Its around 30mins from central city, but it also depends on what time of day you travel. Rush hor normally starts around 7am. One piece of good advice, depending where yo are working, it can be qicker to drive into city not using the motorway.

As for schooling. I am not too up on it as mine kids are grown up. But i am told the schools in Titirangi are good ones. One is called Kaurilands School, the other is Rudolf Steiner school. I think there are others bt not sure of the names, but thats a start.
Old Sep 22nd 2003, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by The Simpsons
Hi Mick,

I suggest you think about staying at the motel for at least two weeks probably 3, as it'll take a while to get a rental sorted. I've been here in Auckland for a couple of weeks and I've only just signed up for my rental. You'll need to chat to some local real estate agents, who will give you a good idea of schools etc. I got a recommendation for a school and got their zoning list so I could rent within the school zone. But the house I really wanted was 1 street out of the zone!

If you're getting a car as soon as you get here, you'll be able to do lots of 'drive by's' of houses on the real estate agents rental lists, which can be got outside the agents offices every friday,and make sure you get the zoning lists for the schools. I got them faxed to my hotel directly from the schools. Traffic can be bad here and I've been stuck in some jams during rush hour. Titirangi is south west of the CBD. I've just rented east of the city about 15 minutes by bus.

Anyway, I've not been here long so I'm not an expert at all this, but good luck and let us know how you get on.
Hi many thanks for your reply

Not long to go now staying at a Hotel near Heathrow on Wednesday 24th, then fly out on the midday 25th Stoppover on the way LA then final leg on the Friday night to Auckland. What type of car did you buy and how much is insurance, i will take you up on the zoning list and estate agents for schooling sound advice..

I will have to pass on my email so we can keep in touch seeing as you have a good head start of us and are up on most things out in Auckland, what part east are you renting in ???

Mick.
Old Sep 22nd 2003, 8:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by podgypossum
Hi Jonah...

Maybe this is your lucky day mate. Guess where i live??? Titirangi!!
Although we are moving to Adelaide in the next couple of months, just tell me what you want to know and i will see if i can help you.

First off, i will say that Titirangi is a lovely place to live, especially for kids. lots of bush walks and beaches close by, although not that great for swimming. The village is a great place to meet people especially the local cafe called "Hardware Cafe" the waitresses are a great bunch of girls and always friendly.

Asi siad above...think up some questions and i'll see if i can answer them.

Hi thanks for reply

Will check Titirangi out when we settle in and also the schools for the kids, why the move to Adelaide ??? how long have you been in NZ ???? what would you pay for an average 4 bedroom in Titirangi ??? what other areas are you well up on...????

Cheers Jonah
Old Sep 22nd 2003, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

smithone is an unknown quantity at this point

Mick

Re your question on car insurance -I've got a 5 door 2002 RAV and pay $46 a month which is pretty cheap.

Titirangi is a nice place but I wouldn't commit to living there until you know where you are going to working.

In rush hour it will take about 45 mins to get to the CBD but if you land a job on the North Shore then Titirangi would not be ideal.

Until you land work I would rent close to the CBD. Once you have a job then it makes choosing a suburb that much easier. No poinbt living in Orewa if you need to commute to South Auckland.

One step at a time, get in the country, get a motel for 3 weeks, get a job and then buy the house.

Good luck
Old Sep 22nd 2003, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi thanks for reply

Will check Titirangi out when we settle in and also the schools for the kids, why the move to Adelaide ??? how long have you been in NZ ???? what would you pay for an average 4 bedroom in Titirangi ??? what other areas are you well up on...????

Cheers Jonah
Hello again Jonah,

I have been in NZ for nearly two years. We are going to Adelaide because my husband is a psych nurse an has been offered a job there which pays quite a bit more than Auckland.

For a 4 bed house in Titirangi, you can pay anything from approximately $300,000 upwards. There has been a huge boom on the housing market in the last year or so.

As for other suburbs. South Auckland is best avoided ntil you know the area better. There are some nice parts, but there are also some very nasty bits too!! North Shore is good, but housing is very expensive over there and you dont get a lot for your money.

Hope this helps a bit
Old Sep 22nd 2003, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by podgypossum
Hello again Jonah,

I have been in NZ for nearly two years. We are going to Adelaide because my husband is a psych nurse an has been offered a job there which pays quite a bit more than Auckland.

For a 4 bed house in Titirangi, you can pay anything from approximately $300,000 upwards. There has been a huge boom on the housing market in the last year or so.

As for other suburbs. South Auckland is best avoided ntil you know the area better. There are some nice parts, but there are also some very nasty bits too!! North Shore is good, but housing is very expensive over there and you dont get a lot for your money.

Hope this helps a bit
Hi again

Will probably rent as you all say for a few weeks and get on our feet, I have landed a job in CBD (working in IT) so yeah will no doubt look within driving distance for eary shift start. 4 days 4 off 4 nights 4 off 12 hour shifts. It surely beats the last 4 years in UK trying to negotiate the M25, M1 etc.. So yeah im flying out with an open mind to a New Life hopefully with lots of people's views and past experiences, life's to short and you just have to get on with it.......!!!! So i shall take time to adjust to new people and a different culture for however long it lasts......

Cheers Jonah....