Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Auckland bound 25th Sept.....need help on rentals.....

Auckland bound 25th Sept.....need help on rentals.....

Old Sep 14th 2003, 8:01 am
Just Joined

jonah111 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Auckland bound 25th Sept.....need help on rentals.....

Can anybody give good advice as to where to rent.....

Auckland bound Info needed on suburbs where to rent....
Finally heading out to Auckland 25th September...can anybody out there help me on where to rent & which suburbs are best to rent, also have schools to think about for the kids, commuting distance from the city for early morning shift work....Also like most on the forum will hopefully get around to buy when rented for about 6 months....in need of help sharpish..........

Mick..
Old Sep 14th 2003, 8:51 am
Just Joined

Bladesman is an unknown quantity at this point

Mick,

Have you a preference for which area you would like to be in?

I could offer advice out west if you are interested, we are renting there at the moment. It also depends how far out you would like to go, if early morning commute, you could go up as far as Orewa and have a comfortable 30-45 minute drive and have good beaches on your doorstep. North shore is also close by and a good area. I have some mates who are out in east Auckland (Howick)and they love it, it is all a bit new for me.
In terms of schools I have attached a link which gives the latest government reports on the schools.
http://www.ero.govt.nz/reports/search.htm

If renting I would advise going for a private rental as the real eatate people take a weeks rent from you up front as a finders fee. Trade and exchange is good for rentals as is the Herald, but you must be quick as rentals tend to go fairly quickly. Each area also has local papers which are good for rentals, particularly private.
If you let me know any area that you are considering and what property you would want I could let you know the approx. prices from the papers.
We are in west Auckland, we have a comfortable 3 bed place with nice kitchen etc., internal garage and a decent garden (with the lawns mowed) and we pay $320 a week.
Let me know if you need any more help, I would be glad to as I remember the hassle as we only moved here in June.

Paul
Old Sep 14th 2003, 4:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by Bladesman
Mick,

Have you a preference for which area you would like to be in?

I could offer advice out west if you are interested, we are renting there at the moment. It also depends how far out you would like to go, if early morning commute, you could go up as far as Orewa and have a comfortable 30-45 minute drive and have good beaches on your doorstep. North shore is also close by and a good area. I have some mates who are out in east Auckland (Howick)and they love it, it is all a bit new for me.
In terms of schools I have attached a link which gives the latest government reports on the schools.
http://www.ero.govt.nz/reports/search.htm

If renting I would advise going for a private rental as the real eatate people take a weeks rent from you up front as a finders fee. Trade and exchange is good for rentals as is the Herald, but you must be quick as rentals tend to go fairly quickly. Each area also has local papers which are good for rentals, particularly private.
If you let me know any area that you are considering and what property you would want I could let you know the approx. prices from the papers.
We are in west Auckland, we have a comfortable 3 bed place with nice kitchen etc., internal garage and a decent garden (with the lawns mowed) and we pay $320 a week.
Let me know if you need any more help, I would be glad to as I remember the hassle as we only moved here in June.

Paul
Hi Paul
Thanks for the reply..the only problem i have is being an early start have to be in Auckland central for 06:45 start four morinings a week, and 12 hour shift pattern, so don't won't to be too far out or else your looking at a 5:30 rise and out the door for at least 06;00am start for the city......and i know what your thinking "Poor sod" but honestly i do want to come out to NZ for a life change iv'e done too much already in the mad city of London for the last 4 years, so i was kinda hoping for a wind down to tell the truth.

But still must pay the bills & all that caper....so is the choice of being on the West Coast or East Coast worth the 45 mins in the morning or is it even longer if your out say towards Mt Eden & those kind of places. where are you on the West Coast ???? did it take your long to find a rental & how many days did you stay in a Motel ?? we are flying into Auckland on a early Sunday morning & still have hotels or motel to sort out short term any ideas....

My brain is swelling with the strain Paul !!!! so lots to think about with little time to do it in...but im sure we shall get there in the end, Removals taking all our worthly goods on Friday using PSS then its bon voyage on the Thursday........

Mick
Old Sep 14th 2003, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

smithone is an unknown quantity at this point

Mick

I live in one of the East Coast Bays on the Nortn shore and the commute from the their to the CBD takes about 40 minutes in rush hour. I play tennis on Friday morning and leave the house at 6.15 and can be in the CBD 20 minutes later.

Lots of options in Auckland and depends what's important to you. My advice would be to rent something for six months when you arrive so you can a feel for the place and decide which area you want to live in.

Where you live is also dependant on what your budget is. Places like Takapuna, Devonport, Remuera are nice but expensive. It's like any city you can get somewhere small in a nice suburb or somewhere bigger for the same price in a lessa tractive suburb.

The book 'Where to Live in Auckland" is a good source of info but the prices are out of date.

One short term option when you arrive is www.aucklandwaterfront.co.nz - this is expensive but very nice.
Old Sep 14th 2003, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by smithone
Mick

I live in one of the East Coast Bays on the Nortn shore and the commute from the their to the CBD takes about 40 minutes in rush hour. I play tennis on Friday morning and leave the house at 6.15 and can be in the CBD 20 minutes later.

Lots of options in Auckland and depends what's important to you. My advice would be to rent something for six months when you arrive so you can a feel for the place and decide which area you want to live in.

Where you live is also dependant on what your budget is. Places like Takapuna, Devonport, Remuera are nice but expensive. It's like any city you can get somewhere small in a nice suburb or somewhere bigger for the same price in a lessa tractive suburb.

The book 'Where to Live in Auckland" is a good source of info but the prices are out of date.

One short term option when you arrive is www.aucklandwaterfront.co.nz - this is expensive but very nice.
Many thanks for the reply

I have heard of several places that are supposed to be nice areas, such as Titirangi, Green Bay, also on the West Coast Piha.
Know doubt it will be a case of finding our feet first with commuting distance and what suits our needs as with schools etc.

Mick
Old Sep 14th 2003, 9:47 pm
Just Joined

Bladesman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jonah111
Hi Paul
Thanks for the reply..the only problem i have is being an early start have to be in Auckland central for 06:45 start four morinings a week, and 12 hour shift pattern, so don't won't to be too far out or else your looking at a 5:30 rise and out the door for at least 06;00am start for the city......and i know what your thinking "Poor sod" but honestly i do want to come out to NZ for a life change iv'e done too much already in the mad city of London for the last 4 years, so i was kinda hoping for a wind down to tell the truth.

But still must pay the bills & all that caper....so is the choice of being on the West Coast or East Coast worth the 45 mins in the morning or is it even longer if your out say towards Mt Eden & those kind of places. where are you on the West Coast ???? did it take your long to find a rental & how many days did you stay in a Motel ?? we are flying into Auckland on a early Sunday morning & still have hotels or motel to sort out short term any ideas....

My brain is swelling with the strain Paul !!!! so lots to think about with little time to do it in...but im sure we shall get there in the end, Removals taking all our worthly goods on Friday using PSS then its bon voyage on the Thursday........

Mick
Hi Mick,

If i was you I would not get too stressed about finding somewhere to rent. You have many options starting work at the time that you will be. You will have no difficulty in finding somewhere. Mt Eden is not really out west, and it is quite expensive. A 3 bed place would be about $500 a week in mt eden, though it is very nice.
When we arrived we were lucky that my bro-in-law is here in Green Bay (out west) so we had a month at his place. We could have found something sooner, but we were rent free so why rush? When we looked it took us about a week to get a rental and we had a weeks wait to get into it. We are currently in Glendene, it is OK but too much like suburbia for me so we are looking at moving out a little. When I say out west, we are not on the coast, in the middle of surburbia really
I will look into the motel thing for you and get some prices for you for deals. Do you need 2 beds?3 beds? Also if you send me a private message with your mail address I might be able to arrange to pick you up from the airport if required. I will be able to show you a little of the city also if required, I know from experience that a little help (ftrom my bro-in-law for me) helps so much and stops mistakes being made.
I know that it easy to say Mick, but do not get too stressed it will all turn out OK and a week afetr you arrive it will all be a memory. Let me know if you do want to take up the offer of help, if not good luck and everything will be fine. It is best to do it quickly as too much time to think about it gets you more stressed.