Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Attn all tra applicants

Attn all tra applicants

Old Mar 31st 2004, 9:41 am
Just Joined

notts to perth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Attn all tra applicants

If and when u get the green light, do please take All of your references and certificates/forms etc with you on the plane. I'm a sparky (or was for 18 yrs in the UK) and I now need to re send to the very same office a duplicate of all my forms etc that I needed for my original sucsessfull visa application, for my licence to work. These all have to be signed by a local Justice of the Peace. No additional info is required by them so quite why I have to re submit the info (apart from the $350) is any ones guess. Been over here 6 weeks and willing but unable to work.
Very frustrating.
Still, apart from that lil gripe I'm in paradise here so its a lovely place to be frustrated!!
I here the beach calling..so good luck all and remember those forms!
Old Mar 31st 2004, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Troood will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Attn all tra applicants

Originally posted by notts to perth
If and when u get the green light, do please take All of your references and certificates/forms etc with you on the plane. I'm a sparky (or was for 18 yrs in the UK) and I now need to re send to the very same office a duplicate of all my forms etc that I needed for my original sucsessfull visa application, for my licence to work. These all have to be signed by a local Justice of the Peace. No additional info is required by them so quite why I have to re submit the info (apart from the $350) is any ones guess. Been over here 6 weeks and willing but unable to work.
Very frustrating.
Still, apart from that lil gripe I'm in paradise here so its a lovely place to be frustrated!!
I here the beach calling..so good luck all and remember those forms!

Thats really useful. We're leaving Notts for Victoria on the 31st October (very excited). I've got a huge folder with all our TRA and DIMIA docs in so will guard them with my life. My partner is a Carpenter/Joiner - do you know if he'll have to get a licence to work as well? If so, any tips on what we need to do would really be appreciated. I'll be cracking that whip and getting him out to work as soon as possible :-)
Old Mar 31st 2004, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that advise we too are hoping to go to Perth.Husbands trade as a butcher so we must dig out all the references and paperwork and make sure we look after them.
We too are from Notts.
Good luck finding work.Enjoy the beach!!!!!!
Old Mar 31st 2004, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

thebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by Troood
Thats really useful. We're leaving Notts for Victoria on the 31st October (very excited). I've got a huge folder with all our TRA and DIMIA docs in so will guard them with my life. My partner is a Carpenter/Joiner - do you know if he'll have to get a licence to work as well? If so, any tips on what we need to do would really be appreciated. I'll be cracking that whip and getting him out to work as soon as possible :-)

My hausband is also a carpenter/joiner and we will hopefuly soon be off to perth (fingers well and truly crossed)
did you find out if your hubby needed a licence to work in oz ??

any light on this would be great
Old Apr 1st 2004, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by thebarkers
My hausband is also a carpenter/joiner and we will hopefuly soon be off to perth (fingers well and truly crossed)
did you find out if your hubby needed a licence to work in oz ??

any light on this would be great

Hiya - no, still awaiting a response. Hopefully we'll get one soon!
Old Apr 1st 2004, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

thebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the rough

Hiya - no, still awaiting a response. Hopefully we'll get one soon!
i spoke to my agent and asked them and they said that chippies dont need a licence but its a different story for a builder!!

so should be fine
Old Apr 1st 2004, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

i spoke to my agent and asked them and they said that chippies dont need a licence but its a different story for a builder!!

so should be fine

Brilliant - thanks for letting me know. Means I can crack that whip and get him out there working as soon as we land! Whilst I learn to become a lady of leisure :-)
Old Apr 1st 2004, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

Brilliant - thanks for letting me know. Means I can crack that whip and get him out there working as soon as we land! Whilst I learn to become a lady of leisure :-)
you and me both but i must say your a bit slow off the mark ive already got him looking for work and hes been offered 3 jobs on arrival !!!!!

get him out there

tell him its the best way to get a sun tan if he likes it hot or tell him that hes a lucky bugger getting to work inside all day in the air con!!!!
Old Apr 1st 2004, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

you and me both but i must say your a bit slow off the mark ive already got him looking for work and hes been offered 3 jobs on arrival !!!!!

get him out there

tell him its the best way to get a sun tan if he likes it hot or tell him that hes a lucky bugger getting to work inside all day in the air con!!!!
Now there's an idea - what did you have to do, search the net etc? Any tips you could give would be appreciated. Did he have telephone interviews etc? What are the rates of pay like for these skills. Paul is self employed now and I think he'd like to continue being so when in Oz. What is your partner doing? Perm or self employed?
Old Apr 1st 2004, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

Now there's an idea - what did you have to do, search the net etc? Any tips you could give would be appreciated. Did he have telephone interviews etc? What are the rates of pay like for these skills. Paul is self employed now and I think he'd like to continue being so when in Oz. What is your partner doing? Perm or self employed?
Ok the baby is asleep,the house work done so i can gas for a bit

What Matt did was to get in touch with some of the home builders out there as you would have noticed houses go up so quick.
they always want subbies so what you then do is once you have your visa get on the net and apply for a tax file ref no (apparantly its quicker on the net than through the post)
and an abn number.
i think they take about 7 days to come through.
get a cv at the ready and all the refs you can round up and another one it the certificate from the tra, if you can scan them onto disc you can just e-mail them straight over,
then your home and dry
We just got back from there last monday and people were asking what Matt did and then they were saying oh when you get here could you lay a wooden floor ,and then others follow suit so i doubt paul will have any probs
rate of pay all different he had offers of $45000 a year and upwards
hope i havent gone on tooooo much
Old Apr 1st 2004, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

What Matt did was to get in touch with some of the home builders out there as you would have noticed houses go up so quick.
they always want subbies so what you then do is once you have your visa get on the net and apply for a tax file ref no (apparantly its quicker on the net than through the post)
and an abn number.
get a cv at the ready and all the refs you can round up and another one it the certificate from the tra, if you can scan them onto disc you can just e-mail them straight over,
then your home and dry
We just got back from there last monday and people were asking what Matt did and then they were saying oh when you get here could you lay a wooden floor ,and then others follow suit so i doubt paul will have any probs
have sent you a PM :-)
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 5:04 am
Just Joined

notts to perth is an unknown quantity at this point

and an abn number.
then your home and dry
Just a lil footnote to this message..having been through it.
1. You can't get a tax file number until you have proof of local address.
2. Then to become a sub contractor you need to then apply for an Australian Business number.
3. TRA issue a letter of approval for migration purposes only. This is not a valid certificate for a working license...this has to be obtained over here and I'm currently in my 7th week of waiting.
4. If you are to become a subbie over here and you need to obtain credit over here for lets say mortgage purposes then you will need to be over here for atleast 2 years before they consider you. Its about 3-6 months if your on the books with a company.
5. Red tape and shortage of building materials in the Perth area is currently making the construction time of a new home anywhere between 12 and 18 months.
6. Unfortunately i too came with rose tinted specs and job offers...it will all fall into place in a while I'm sure but be prepared to wait alot longer than your currently expecting. I know of several tradesmen who have returned to the uk in disgust with the lack of professionalism and communications over here. Bit extreme that me thinks, but just take note..things take ALOT longer to sort out over these parts..if someone promises you a call or a form in a day..expect it in 14 and I'm not exaggerating.
Still bloody lovely over here!!
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 6:07 am
Forum Regular

2. Then to become a sub contractor you need to then apply for an Australian Business number.
3. TRA issue a letter of approval for migration purposes only. This is not a valid certificate for a working license...this has to be obtained over here and I'm currently in my 7th week of waiting.
4. If you are to become a subbie over here and you need to obtain credit over here for lets say mortgage purposes then you will need to be over here for atleast 2 years before they consider you. Its about 3-6 months if your on the books with a company.
5. Red tape and shortage of building materials in the Perth area is currently making the construction time of a new home anywhere between 12 and 18 months.
6. Unfortunately i too came with rose tinted specs and job offers...it will all fall into place in a while I'm sure but be prepared to wait alot longer than your currently expecting. I know of several tradesmen who have returned to the uk in disgust with the lack of professionalism and communications over here. Bit extreme that me thinks, but just take note..things take ALOT longer to sort out over these parts..if someone promises you a call or a form in a day..expect it in 14 and I'm not exaggerating.

thanks for all the info,
My mum has had her own comapny out in perth cleaning all of the new bulids and holds contracts with a few of the big bulding contractors so they saw My husbands refs and offered him a job also his friend actualy lives near in joondalup and has offered him a job i suppose we are lucky as we have a few contacts in that way also sisters boyfriend os an ozzy plasterer so a few contacts there.
we have already applied for a mortgage and it has been granted subject to visa approval.
it means a lot of faxing and e-mailing and a bit of a pain but it doesent hurt to put as many feelers out as you can.
and the brick shortage out there i did hear about when on hols as it was slowing up a friends house and had put it back a couple of weeks.
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 7:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Another informative note - thanks for all that. I think realistically then Paul should get on a company's payroll as we want to buy a house sooner than 2 years. Once we've settled I guess he can then think about going self employed. We have a friend near Melbourne who's address we could use - would this be sufficient for us to obtain the tax reference number? Or do they ask for evidence (ie; utility bill or something).

Did you email TRA asking for this letter of approval? Or did you put a letter in the post?

I'll print this message off and take it with me in my now "huge" folder of things to take to Oz. Hopefully it'll help to make life a bit easier - although not any quicker if your comments are true!!

Thanks again for all of this
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

Poppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nice

I think if you are self employed you need a licence for a carpenter/joiner as we have a friend did that in Sydney and he needed a licence when he started it, that was some years ago, so I suppose they could have changed it!

I think the same applies if you sub contract. I don't think you need one if you work for a company tho'.

Cheers

Poppy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.