Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

attn; anyone researching thier family tree

attn; anyone researching thier family tree

Old Sep 13th 2004, 6:08 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute
Default attn; anyone researching thier family tree

hi folks,
quite a few of us on here are doing the family tree researching...anyone interested do a forum search and you will find quite a bit of info on the various stages we are all at.
anyway, got meself onto the uk 1901 online census, but due to mispelling a name I have to pay up the minimum charge, but have no info to research - so, if anyone wants anyone looking up, let me know name and surname, age they would have been at 1901 and the area they were living in. I paid me fee, so might as well make some use of it!!!!
feel free to pm me in the next 24/36 hours (cos the fee period is only active for 48 hours!) and I will email you back the results!!

sue

note to mods = I put this in here because i know quite a few other posters who could make use of this dont go in the lounge!!! cheers.....

Last edited by tiredwithtwins; Sep 13th 2004 at 6:15 pm.
Old Sep 13th 2004, 6:45 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all
Default Re: attn; anyone researching thier family tree

it's scary in the lounge.... nice and safe in here.
Old Sep 14th 2004, 12:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by scutterUK
Shouldn't you be busy packing?! Are you ready for the off??

Loopy
Old Sep 14th 2004, 3:58 am
Anxiously awaiting March

vicky o will become famous soon enoughvicky o will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by scutterUK
Do you manage any sleep, Scutter, or are you a raving insomniac like me???
Old Sep 14th 2004, 10:52 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

i SHOULD! be packing... but the more i think about it the more i don't want to. it's wierd feeling! i should get on with it though. i don't have much to sort as i basically did it all when i moved in with my folks 6 weeks ago! (jesus!) I'm sooooooooooooo not ready for this! okyah.

sleep...sleep.....erm, no not sure about that one. Everytime i turn my brain on it goes in to overdrive about what i've got to do and by when! Sleep has come down to just closing my eyes and thinking a lot...

4 sleeps to go! ARGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! :scared:

(i better be thinking of a goodbye thread soon.. hehe!)
Old Sep 15th 2004, 1:43 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
hi folks,
quite a few of us on here are doing the family tree researching...anyone interested do a forum search and you will find quite a bit of info on the various stages we are all at.
anyway, got meself onto the uk 1901 online census, but due to mispelling a name I have to pay up the minimum charge, but have no info to research - so, if anyone wants anyone looking up, let me know name and surname, age they would have been at 1901 and the area they were living in. I paid me fee, so might as well make some use of it!!!!
feel free to pm me in the next 24/36 hours (cos the fee period is only active for 48 hours!) and I will email you back the results!!
How's it going with the tree? I'm hitting a few snags on some of some of the lines.. not filling out census from the start etc, others have gone back to around 1649 with the parish records.

Costing me a fortune in ordering BMD certs with one of my lines ( had to go through this route. for the non census filling law breakers . You can't avoid being born can you).. I've ordered and received a few marriage, births.. waiting for a death at the moment - I think she was murdered .. family tales ( they've recently added online ordering at last for us overseas) , and census Cd's .. Anyway in continuing with the theme.. if you have any rellies in the Glamorgan area in 1841, 51, 61 ( or 71 ..but I'd prefer an exact location for 1871 (unlike the rest).. ie the village, or even street address, as it's not searchable by name , I need to plough through the streets on the census to find people on that one.. totally non searchable )

Or if you want any marriage you're looking for between 1569 to 1837 for the purpose of the womens maiden name and parish they come from , I don't mind looking them up for you , as I have the marriage index for those years, plus the above 41, 51, 61 and 71 censuses on CD's ( Glamorgan only).. takes nothing for me to look at them.. only a minutes work( except the 71 which I need an idea of an address area like I mentioned)

Also if you're really quick and want to look at a certain, well known, pay per view site for the 71 ( some areas are complete others are not) , 91 ( complete) and some 1901 censuses - this is for all England and Wales (plus america.. if you have any rellies who went there) . I can give you a hack password and username to get in and view the censuses, and other things such as some Parish records etc.. ie the complete site for free ( it is a free trial period to a certain company's customers ... but a lot of people have got hold of the password ) ... but this ends at the end of this month ( 30th) . I remember you kindly offered to look for something for me in the record office if I needed it - I'm returning the favour
.................................................. ............................

( edit.. I swear someone is watching me ..lol. I just checked the free way into the site.. and it's been taken off!)

I've just sent you Pm to give you the password , which is handy for the other sites, and trials.. pity about Ancestory com.. ( that was the site you get into ) which I accessed for the 71 , 91 and 1901 censuses ( which people pay for) .. I had been using it for ages and not paying a penny.. the last time I looked at it was just yesterday. so it must have been taken off that site only today. I've just sent you the site with the trials and username /password in a Pm .. may come in handy for other lines of things.

Last edited by Ceri; Sep 15th 2004 at 3:39 am.
Old Sep 15th 2004, 10:59 am
DPD
Forum Regular

DPD is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Ceri, you wouldn't be able to throw some of those links my way by PM would you please? I'm stuck on my tree around 1770 and really am at a loss as to where to look
Old Sep 16th 2004, 4:39 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by DPD
Hey Ceri, you wouldn't be able to throw some of those links my way by PM would you please? I'm stuck on my tree around 1770 and really am at a loss as to where to look
The ancestry com that I was using ( for 1871, 1891 and 1901 censuses) - the trial for a particular website I had is no more longer available . I believed/thought it was ending on the 30th sept . The link was taken off just yesterday from the website ( below) which I was using to go through to get into the ancestry site and view it all the censuses and such for free. So the password would be no use to you unless you want it for the Times archives, Marquis Who's Who,Biography and Genealogy Master Index etc ( username pubacd17 - password durable http://trials.gale.com/pubacd/index.html)

for the 1700's and 1600's etc you need to go through the marriage indexes, baptisms and death etc. Depending on the area your searching.. the family history web sites for your county should have the indexes for sale on CD ( some areas are well serviced, others are not.. I'm searching in Glamorgan for a few of the lines and quite lucky with that area, as the Glamorgan area has good records on cd's, Carmarthen which I need to get too for some of my lot seems to have less info such as marriage indexes on discs) . so on the off chance you need any info from the Glamorgan area only, I can quite easily look it up for you on my discs .

For the whole of Britain , try this site http://www.familyhistoryonline.net/general/howto.shtml for monumental inscriptions i.e. deaths, death indexes, marriage indexes etc plus some censuses .. this site is a pay for view ( 5pound minimum you need to open an account with .. the price to look at things ranges from around just a few pence 9p etc onwards depending on what you are looking at ) , but you can search for free to see if you want to pay for the look of anything.. You'll need to join up ( free) for a password etc. It is a legitimate site, it is the federation of the family history societies.. the different societies from all round the UK have contributed some of their stuff to make one site.. the profits made go back to the individual societies. Again depending on your area of research , some counties have heaps of stuff on there, while others don't. I've been using them for a while now .. found a few people dating back to the 1600's in marriage , and burial grounds , where they are buried , but others no.. it depends on the area you are searching.

I've gone back to the 1600's on some lines of hubby's family,.. they are proving much easier to trace than my lot ,as they come from a tiny village and stayed there fro centuries . I've traced them Through the index route deaths and marriages from church records. My lot are moving from one county to the next county in Wales.. costing me a fortune in buying discs.. inconsiderate bunch..lol . It doesn't help when some of them don't legally marry either ( and one of my greats who has gone though 3 wives that I know of so far.. I think he's killing his poor wives off.. and I still haven't got back to his first wife who is my great, great, great whatever granny) and don't fill out the gov censuses .. now I know where I get my anti establishment behaviour from, it's in the genes lol ..

A tip if you don't want any tom dick or Harry to find you today very easily - don't get on the electoral roll (not that you have much of a choice about that here in Aus) . It's quite frightening how easy it is to trace a living persons address by the electoral roles, which are easily searchable by online pay sites and on CD's.. That reminds me I must remember to tell my mum I found her address in one second by just entering her name and the city .. easy as that.. frightening eh that anyone can do this without even going to the council buildings to search. all you need is their name and search the cities/county one by one for them with their name.
I've been having some fun finding people with that - got the info because I have such an unusual name in one of my female lines ( only a couple of people have this surname) .. so most people with that name who are alive today are my long lost rellies . They won't know what has hit them having me for a rellie. Perhaps I shouldn't scare them.. and leave them blissfully unaware of my existence. Or perhaps they could be the very scary ones, hardened crims or loons if they have had more of the genes than me.. now I'm the one who's scared! LOL

also try this site rootschat forum, http://www.rootschat.co.uk/forum/ind...7e0ec6268646d& there are plenty of people who are willing to help, or give you info regarding probs and point you in the right direction . They have been invaluable to me for one difficult person I was having trouble finding, which someone looked it up for me , a lot of the mods are from the various history societies. I can't praise some of the people on this site enough

phew ( long post lol I can't half ramble on sometimes )

Last edited by Ceri; Sep 16th 2004 at 4:45 am.
Old Sep 16th 2004, 11:53 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ceri
The ancestry com that I was using ( for 1871, 1891 and 1901 censuses) - the trial for a particular website I had is no more longer available . I believed/thought it was ending on the 30th sept . The link was taken off just yesterday from the website ( below) which I was using to go through to get into the ancestry site and view it all the censuses and such for free. So the password would be no use to you unless you want it for the Times archives, Marquis Who's Who,Biography and Genealogy Master Index etc ( username pubacd17 - password durable http://trials.gale.com/pubacd/index.html)

for the 1700's and 1600's etc you need to go through the marriage indexes, baptisms and death etc. Depending on the area your searching.. the family history web sites for your county should have the indexes for sale on CD ( some areas are well serviced, others are not.. I'm searching in Glamorgan for a few of the lines and quite lucky with that area, as the Glamorgan area has good records on cd's, Carmarthen which I need to get too for some of my lot seems to have less info such as marriage indexes on discs) . so on the off chance you need any info from the Glamorgan area only, I can quite easily look it up for you on my discs .

For the whole of Britain , try this site http://www.familyhistoryonline.net/general/howto.shtml for monumental inscriptions i.e. deaths, death indexes, marriage indexes etc plus some censuses .. this site is a pay for view ( 5pound minimum you need to open an account with .. the price to look at things ranges from around just a few pence 9p etc onwards depending on what you are looking at ) , but you can search for free to see if you want to pay for the look of anything.. You'll need to join up ( free) for a password etc. It is a legitimate site, it is the federation of the family history societies.. the different societies from all round the UK have contributed some of their stuff to make one site.. the profits made go back to the individual societies. Again depending on your area of research , some counties have heaps of stuff on there, while others don't. I've been using them for a while now .. found a few people dating back to the 1600's in marriage , and burial grounds , where they are buried , but others no.. it depends on the area you are searching.

I've gone back to the 1600's on some lines of hubby's family,.. they are proving much easier to trace than my lot ,as they come from a tiny village and stayed there fro centuries . I've traced them Through the index route deaths and marriages from church records. My lot are moving from one county to the next county in Wales.. costing me a fortune in buying discs.. inconsiderate bunch..lol . It doesn't help when some of them don't legally marry either ( and one of my greats who has gone though 3 wives that I know of so far.. I think he's killing his poor wives off.. and I still haven't got back to his first wife who is my great, great, great whatever granny) and don't fill out the gov censuses .. now I know where I get my anti establishment behaviour from, it's in the genes lol ..

A tip if you don't want any tom dick or Harry to find you today very easily - don't get on the electoral roll (not that you have much of a choice about that here in Aus) . It's quite frightening how easy it is to trace a living persons address by the electoral roles, which are easily searchable by online pay sites and on CD's.. That reminds me I must remember to tell my mum I found her address in one second by just entering her name and the city .. easy as that.. frightening eh that anyone can do this without even going to the council buildings to search. all you need is their name and search the cities/county one by one for them with their name.
I've been having some fun finding people with that - got the info because I have such an unusual name in one of my female lines ( only a couple of people have this surname) .. so most people with that name who are alive today are my long lost rellies . They won't know what has hit them having me for a rellie. Perhaps I shouldn't scare them.. and leave them blissfully unaware of my existence. Or perhaps they could be the very scary ones, hardened crims or loons if they have had more of the genes than me.. now I'm the one who's scared! LOL

also try this site rootschat forum, http://www.rootschat.co.uk/forum/ind...7e0ec6268646d& there are plenty of people who are willing to help, or give you info regarding probs and point you in the right direction . They have been invaluable to me for one difficult person I was having trouble finding, which someone looked it up for me , a lot of the mods are from the various history societies. I can't praise some of the people on this site enough

phew ( long post lol I can't half ramble on sometimes )

Hi Ceri,
thanks for all that, and the pm! pity about the free access, but ne'er mind!!!
Im managing to get back to the start of the 1800's with most of the family (excpet the irish tinkers...... ). Two days ago, someone got in touch from the genesreunited webiste who was related to my great great great grandfather!! I was soooooo excited!!
I am having problems with one line...surname spick....they seem to disappear off the planet around 1900, so I will get onto the sites you suggested above and see if anyone can help!
Ive found the 1837online.com webiste useful, but the mormons site doesnt seem to have anyone on im tracing!! I found the War Graves commission site very throrough, and they go into detail...it was very touching to find a whole page for the memorial for a relative killed during ww1 - a whole page for every soldier.....very humbling to read them too.
and it does get a wee bit expensive doesnt it?? I have just paid out £49 for birth certs! still, all worth it as the stuff im uncovering is fascinating! couple of murders, a suicide and several killed in action....how our poor ancestors survived i will never know!!
will let you know how i get on!
sue
Old Sep 17th 2004, 3:03 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Hi Ceri,
Im managing to get back to the start of the 1800's with most of the family (excpet the irish tinkers...... ). Two days ago, someone got in touch from the genesreunited webiste who was related to my great great great grandfather!! I was soooooo excited!!
I am having problems with one line...surname spick....they seem to disappear off the planet around 1900, so I will get onto the sites you suggested above and see if anyone can help!
Ive found the 1837online.com webiste useful, but the mormons site doesnt seem to have anyone on im tracing!! I found the War Graves commission site very throrough, and they go into detail...it was very touching to find a whole page for the memorial for a relative killed during ww1 - a whole page for every soldier.....very humbling to read them too.
and it does get a wee bit expensive doesnt it?? I have just paid out £49 for birth certs! still, all worth it as the stuff im uncovering is fascinating! couple of murders, a suicide and several killed in action....how our poor ancestors survived i will never know!!
will let you know how i get on!
sue
spent a fortune at the 1837 over the months looking for the entries ( the free BMD has missing years) . Just yesterday I received three certs , it's prettyeasy for us to order them now, as they've extended online ordering to overseas http://www.familyrecords.gov.uk/ . The death cert I had yesterday was for my hubbys G gran, she was always a bit of a mystery.. died at just age 25. I was beginning to think her hubby murdered her as he married soon after her death to a daughter of some captain of Royal Navy. Anyway " Morbus Cordis" as it's written on the death cert ( Heart disease) and cardiac failure ( I still think he murdered her! sometimes doctors put Morbus cordis if they thought it was a natural death, but couldn't really locate the exact cause of death) . Next I'm trying to locate her grave.. so more money! I've told my mum-in-law to search the obituaries in the papers held at records.. whether she will I don't know , she's a bit divvy sometimes. They have released a second edition NBI ( national burial index on CD with around 17 mill names for England and Wales .. 40 odd quid! ( it's costing me a fortune) I think I'm going to have order that, plus more county censuses.. once you start - you never stop.. never enough info is there.

I actually have located a few of the graves from the Burial index they have at that family history pay for site , sent my sister in law the details of what church and the number etc.. and she has recently found one of the graves.. posted the photo of the grave and what was written on the stone as well .. they died in the 1800's as an old 72, and 82 year old which is old for those days) "Let ye love one another as I have loved you" was written on their grave. they owned half of Newton ( in the Gower)..there are houses built there now.. I want to know who got that land ! ( been didled out of their money lol)..If I was in the Uk, I'd search the wills , that's my next step when I finally come back down the tree.

the other two I had in the post yesterday were marriage certs, to double check the trees, and to see if I had the right parents and so on.. seems one of my rellies is a Butcher ( I'm a veggie..lol)

I've spent a fortune on ordering births etc at the beginning, I wanted it right.. my hubby onthe hand gets carried away with his tree, and I'm always pulling him on it. He actually made a few mistakes ( thanks to the LDS) . he took part of his tree from some American who had submitted his tree ( and was linked to my hubby's tree on one on one of the sisters of his tree) on the LDS ( it was wrong , when I checked it) he had the wrong "mother" on one line.

My tree is like a shrub lol, half missing , impossible to trace them without going to the record office in Dublin and thought the church records in Belfast.. nothing is online for them. ( talking about tinkers I came across a page Bristol area in the census which had "travelling vans" and the word "gypsies" .. I saved the image of the census.. I found it funny that they were parked outside the pub! lol) .. I was actually looking for one of my escape artists who I think went to England .. and came across a load of gypsies.. so I saved it just in case

My welsh side nothing really surprisng so far , except for one particular side who gawd knows they are rouges ( I like them! ) , , and proving difficult to trace further back . getting there though .. they can run but they can't hide!,. ( so I'm wrapped up in hubby's tree with his "bastardy children" and sailors after sailors . then I hit a nice gentleman in my side who keeps marrying tons of women.. whoo hoo.He's either must have been a very handsome fellow, or ugly as sin but with loads of money ( he was just a master mason employing a load of men.. so I wouldn't say he's that rich)

That rootschat link is excellent - I had one family that went to England for a while, and were proving difficult for me to trace, and as I don't have much info on discs for England, I asked if anyone wouldn't mind looking at the censuses for me for 41 and 51 etc.. someone looked at their discs immediately for me. They also helped me track down a death for one rellie too. Plus there are heaps of ideas on there.. it's interseting reading through some of it.

Pity about ancestry com.. I've been using it for a month free through that gales site.. it was just taken off there the day before yesterday.

This site "cynd's list" has some excellent links .. links to tons and tons of stuff http://www.cyndislist.com/index.htm ..from military, censuses, newspapers, BI, etc etc, you name it ( it's handy to keep this in your favourites)

I'd really hate to add up the cost of what I've spent.. think between the two of us we have ordered 12 certs.. and need more, I have forked out for all the Glamorgan censuses on disks and the marriage indexes, spent a fortune on 1837 and the family history pay for view site .. I am now about to fork out for Carmarthen and the National Burial index of England and Wales .. it never stops. I'm in the wrong business lol - these people are really cashing in on family history these days, especially these pay for view sites..Ahh well my ancestors in the future can thank me for it.

I can't wait to get back home so I can go running around all these old graveyards.. I want to locate them all .. see the end product ( I'm the type of person to tidy up the grave as well and put a bunch of flowers on it.. I actually had tears in my eyes when I saw the photo of the grave my sisiter-in law sent.. you trace a person for so long, it's almost as if you know them.. get so wrapped up in it - and this is coming from a person who is not usually soppy)
My mum is planning a trip back to Ireland .. I'm jealous! I'd love to go and with her.. but I'm stuck out here.. frustrating they are getting all the fun there.. I want graves, old churches ( I'd love to buy an old church... been looking around at the them for years .. they've shot up in price over the past decade though it seems)

What we've been trying to do is compile a big family tree book. so it can stay in the family.. my hubby made a book out of wood and hinged the thing (looks like an old hundredsof years ledger) .. and we're printing out everything from censuses to photo's, deaths, old book pages which mention some of our ancestors. Putting it on to old looking paper to put into the book.. proving to be a nightmare to get it in order.. trying to do this before Christmas for a present for our families.It's never going to be finished.. but they can add more to it as the paper is just tied in.

Anyway good luck with the tracing. .. you might find your "tinkers" eventually.. try a question on that rootschat board, you may get them through other means like poor laws etc, courts if they comitted a crime ( they actually had a drunkedness law once in the early 1900's or very late 1800's I think it was .. where if caught drunk you were photographed and put on a poster .. I was just reading that the other day in a history magazine).. who knows, there must be other means you can try.. They are there somewhere.. they are just hiding from you that's all ( sounds like one of my lines)

cheers

P.s have you tried Spicket , and Spickett ( The surname Spick may have mutated from those surnames, or vice versa..there are a few surnames Spicket's and Spickett's in Glamorgan) .

You ought to see Welsh names when the christian name ( going back to the early /mid 1600's now where we are at) get turns into the surmname .. for instane Evan John. grandaddy at top of list , . his son becomes say something like Thomas Evan.. then his son becomes Samuel Evans ... further we go back.. say my name is williams ( it's not).. it goes back to william ( they added s's later on) .. then his father that william will be the christian name .. then you have william william LOL .. I' m just about gettin to the stage where it's "ap" now ap David etc.. I'm dreading that !

Last edited by Ceri; Sep 17th 2004 at 4:03 am.
Old Sep 17th 2004, 3:37 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

My welsh side nothing really surprisng so far , except for one particular side who gawd knows they are rouges ( I like them! ) , , and proving difficult to trace further back . getting there though .. they can run but they can't hide!,. ( so I'm wrapped up in hubby's tree with his "bastardy children" and sailors after sailors . then I hit a nice gentleman in my side who keeps marrying tons of women.. whoo hoo.He's either must have been a very handsome fellow, or ugly as sin but with loads of money ( he was just a master mason employing a load of men.. so I wouldn't say he's that rich)
Think my lot have most of the dodgy Welsh ones - my dad has been doing our tree for the last few years = we are mid-Wales, what used to be Radnorshire - and he diescovered a bogamist (quite recent too, early 20th century) and a 'lady' who had about 8 kids, all with a different surname as a middle name - we reckon she was rather friendly with the local men, and used all their surnames as forenames!
Old Sep 17th 2004, 4:15 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Think my lot have most of the dodgy Welsh ones - my dad has been doing our tree for the last few years = we are mid-Wales, what used to be Radnorshire - and he diescovered a bogamist (quite recent too, early 20th century) and a 'lady' who had about 8 kids, all with a different surname as a middle name - we reckon she was rather friendly with the local men, and used all their surnames as forenames!
only thing you can be certain of is the "mother" (unless adopted) .. we have to assume the fathers are really the fathers.. for instance one of my lines my great great whatever was born out of wedlock ( bastardy) the father was named on the birth cert, and he had the fathers name.. but I found that they were not married until quite later ( 10 yrs after my ancestor was born) .. I have to assume it his son.. and he was named after the father, the father was in fact livng a few doors down at the time.. but who knows it could have been another mans son and she was lying.. you always know who your mother is, but fathers.. lol.. most trees are probably wrong somewhere when it comes to the real father of a child.

It's quite surprising how many people in those days were born out of wedlock, and neither got married either ( it's not a new society thing.. it was just covered up in those days)

P.s
I'm actually back in my tree ,one of the lines to a bloke called Llewellyn Llewellyn ( first and last name.. get's confusing now with these double barrelled names).

Get off my throne Charlie Big Ears! ( They reckon the English killed all his family, cousins etc out so Prince Llewellyn's ancestors could not uprise claim Wales in the future) .. there's always one who escapes..lol

lots of Llewellyn Llewellyn's about when you go back through the generations ... and one of my hubbies lines is turning into Owain ( actually old Owain Glyndwr went down to S wales and fought one battle in Gower "Oystermouth castle" once.. where my hubbies family goes back for centuries.. perhaps he did the dirty deed with one of my hubbies wenches ) LOL.. I think I'll have to kill him , My LLewellyn was born first!

Last edited by Ceri; Sep 17th 2004 at 5:08 am.
Old Sep 17th 2004, 5:36 am
Badge

and one of my hubbies lines is turning into Owain ( actually old Owain Glyndwr went down to S wales and fought one battle in Gower "Oystermouth castle" , My LLewellyn was born first!
my cousin fought with Kebble in the Falklands, my grandfather fought with Frost at Arnhem, and my great grandfather fought with Kitchener's mob in the Great War...my family can't get on with anyone..

BM

PS Ceri me old mucker you are in danger of evicting bundy from her position of the forum's posh totty. Are you a good sort as well? Seen the beach shot not the face, alas.

Old Nov 1st 2004, 11:22 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Hi Ceri,
Check your PM's.. I've sent you a new link. I don't know how long it will last, but it's still working as I type this.

Good luck
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 1:55 am
Y Ddraig Goch

DPD, do you want the link as well? I only posted it to Sue.

I Hate Pming people .. but I don't mind passing this new free way in link on to you as well, as you wanted it earlier on ( in this old thread) for free access to Ancestry com

Don't know how long it will last, but use the link/password that I have just sent you while you can. The previous one I posted expired when I typed my original message. Ahh free .. I love that word. It's my ancestors fault "I tells you" ( found one in Jail lol) spend money? .. no no no ... not if I can help it

cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Nov 2nd 2004 at 2:27 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.