Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is the ATO sexist?

Is the ATO sexist?

Old Aug 10th 2006, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

Mhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really nice
Default Is the ATO sexist?

Ten days ago I applied online for TFN numbers for myself and my husband. My husband got a letter detailing his number 2 days later. I'm still waiting. There's loads of things I'm trying to sort out, but can't coz I don't have this number. Do males get priority? Anybody else have a similar experience?

Mhairi
Old Aug 10th 2006, 7:41 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the ATO sexist?

Originally Posted by Mhairi
Ten days ago I applied online for TFN numbers for myself and my husband. My husband got a letter detailing his number 2 days later. I'm still waiting. There's loads of things I'm trying to sort out, but can't coz I don't have this number. Do males get priority? Anybody else have a similar experience?

Mhairi
Dont take it personally. We are also still waiting for my wifes number but it is nothing to do with being female. It can take up to 15 working days- so probably in a month
Old Aug 10th 2006, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

Mhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really nice

Originally Posted by thebears
Dont take it personally. We are also still waiting for my wifes number but it is nothing to do with being female. It can take up to 15 working days- so probably in a month
Exactly! Why did you get yours before your wife if you applied at the same time?
Old Aug 10th 2006, 8:07 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Mhairi
Not receiving your TFN is not the end of the world. You can still work, with any extra tax paid refundable at tax-time. It is called Australian bureaucracy. For all you know it could be lost in the mail. Check if yours has been completed by ringing the ATO.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 8:10 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly! Why did you get yours before your wife if you applied at the same time?
i applied before her
Old Aug 10th 2006, 9:13 pm
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute

Mhairi
LOL We applied at the same time and my husband got his 3 weeks before mine
Old Aug 10th 2006, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The A Team
LOL We applied at the same time and my husband got his 3 weeks before mine
Well that makes 3 of us! Compelling evidence that they are sexist. I wouldn't mind, but I'm the one going out to work and hubby will be staying at home and drinking coffee (or beer) all day.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 9:29 pm

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

My daughter's TFN took 30 days to arrive (it's supposed to be up to 28 days according to the website).

In the meantime she'd been refused Family Tax Benefit and Childcare Benefit by Centrelink, basically because she'd "failed to provide" a TFN.

She's had to reapply and was told she'll have to wait another 20 days while they process her claim.

Bureaucracy gone mad!!

Elaine
Old Aug 10th 2006, 9:32 pm
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Well that makes 3 of us! Compelling evidence that they are sexist. I wouldn't mind, but I'm the one going out to work and hubby will be staying at home and drinking coffee (or beer) all day.
I applied a while back and got mine in a week or so. I applied for my partners and for my daughter a few weeks ago and am still waiting! ...
Old Aug 10th 2006, 10:27 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes the ATO is sexist. As a government agency it employs are large number of female staff and they do not want other wimmin getting their jobs

I applied for me and my wife on the same day and we received them at the same time. They gave her a nicer number than mine (bloody favouritism)

Old Aug 11th 2006, 7:42 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Yes the ATO is sexist. As a government agency it employs are large number of female staff and they do not want other wimmin getting their jobs

Unfortunately, Australia is going quickly down the road of sexism in employment. That is if you are a woman you have more chance of getting preference over a man for a position, especially in the public service and private sector administration careers.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

amanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of light

Mhairi
Oh my God!!!!

Sorry, but my male colleague was granted his 457 three weeks ago, I am still waiting when we applied same day, same time on the same computer!
Old Aug 11th 2006, 7:54 am
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by amanda34
when we applied same day, same time on the same computer!
2 keyboards & 2 monitors ?! ...
Old Aug 11th 2006, 7:56 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

We applied at the same time, I got mine within a week, hubby's took four
Old Aug 11th 2006, 9:09 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Unfortunately, Australia is going quickly down the road of sexism in employment. That is if you are a woman you have more chance of getting preference over a man for a position, especially in the public service and private sector administration careers.
That's okay - it lets us men get on with the real jobs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.