Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

ATM/EFTPOS in Aus

ATM/EFTPOS in Aus

Old Jun 19th 2009, 11:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: ATM/EFTPOS in Aus

Originally Posted by Shellyj
I must have been visiting the wrong shops on my visit in April. Not one place I went to had the chip & pin machines installed, I had to sign everywhere. I was wary of this having not done it here for an age.
I did find the whole savings or cheque thing odd, good though so you dont need to go to the bank to withdraw from savings account.
If you were using a UK-issued chip&pin card, then no, you wouldn't have been prompted to do chip&pin - from my experience, you have to sign if you're using a card from overseas (and when I was back in the UK last year, I had to sign when using my ANZ chip&pin card instead of using the PIN).

And as for being charged for cheques (on another post), I've not been charged at all for that. I have an ANZ account where you pay $5 per month and that covers all transactions. The only cheque I've had to pay for was a bank cheque when I bought my car.
Old Jun 20th 2009, 3:35 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: ATM/EFTPOS in Aus

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I have a HSBC account and they haven't charged me for using cheques. (Not that I use them very often.)
HSBC - Online Savings Account - do say "Cheque payments incur a fee of $1.00 per cheque", but I never paid it when I used my cheque book, once!

Maybe they let us use a few free ?