Asthma

Old May 4th 2005, 9:44 pm
kez
Forum Regular

kez is on a distinguished road
Default Asthma

Bit obvious from the title but i do have asthma - will this affect my application and how do i get inhalers in australia?
Old May 4th 2005, 9:48 pm
Cleveland, Bayside

Rich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Asthma

You know I have asthma too and never even tought that it may go against me!

Wouldn't think so as your health will improve when over Aus
Anyone know of anything different

Ang
Old May 4th 2005, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

MY son has asthma and I was worried that we may have a problem but didn't.
I am sure that the main concern is conditions that will be a drain on their health service. Asthma can be controlled with medication. Don't know about the inhalers though. My son also has tablets so will be interested to know how you get them cost etc. (not that it matters if he needs them!).
Old May 4th 2005, 9:52 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich and Angie
You know I have asthma too and never even tought that it may go against me!

Wouldn't think so as your health will improve when over Aus
Anyone know of anything different

Ang
Asthma should not go against you.

Ang

Why would your health improve in Australia?

Allergies may well get worse and Australians get all the usual illnesses we get (and a few we don't).

G
Old May 4th 2005, 10:03 pm
Cleveland, Bayside

Rich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Asthma should not go against you.

Ang

Why would your health improve in Australia?

Allergies may well get worse and Australians get all the usual illnesses we get (and a few we don't).

G
Just thought that as the sun is shining most of the timeit wouldn't affect breathing, eczema etc., related health issues
Someone has said that I won't need to take my medication when over in Australiafor asthma
Old May 4th 2005, 10:07 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich and Angie
Just thought that as the sun is shining most of the timeit wouldn't affect breathing, eczema etc., related health issues
Someone has said that I won't need to take my medication when over in Australiafor asthma
Unfortunately you won't know until you get there.

My son's asthma got worse.

Many people complain of more colds etc. You will encounter germs you have no resistance to. You may be OK. Others get worse.

Good luck

G
Old May 4th 2005, 10:29 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Very interesting thread on the subject a few months ago -

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=268780
Old May 4th 2005, 10:52 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Hevs made an observation about ducted heating / cooling systems which I found interesting:

"Ducted heating is cheap to install but expensive to run as the gas runs consistantly whilst the hot air is blowing. Central heating is more to install but around 20% cheaper to run. Also for any one with chest complaints, allergies, ashma etc ducted is a nightmare due to dust. Yes before anyone jumps up and down, i know taht you can get the ducts cleaned, but lets face it whos ever perpared for hat first cold snap."

Hevs: Re: Central Heating - is it needed?

I have a ducted system and have no problems BUT I have never had asthma. For many years I have stayed away from buildings with ducted systems (offices, malls etc) and crowds in general and have had dramatically fewer colds.

The incidence of asthma is doubling about every 15 years in Aus. The incidence is similar in city, town and country. As kid I can not remember any kids with asthma except those from the city.

Perhaps more wheezing is classified as asthma these days. Or perhaps ducted systems are more prevalent?
Old May 4th 2005, 10:55 pm
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

I have asthma. Not a problem with the medical at all.
Amazingly, over here (at least in QLD for sure), you do not need a prescription to purchase an inhaler.

Andrew
Old May 4th 2005, 11:15 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Megalania
Hevs made an observation about ducted heating / cooling systems which I found interesting:

"Ducted heating is cheap to install but expensive to run as the gas runs consistantly whilst the hot air is blowing. Central heating is more to install but around 20% cheaper to run. Also for any one with chest complaints, allergies, ashma etc ducted is a nightmare due to dust. Yes before anyone jumps up and down, i know taht you can get the ducts cleaned, but lets face it whos ever perpared for hat first cold snap."

I have a ducted system and have no problems BUT I have never had asthma. For many years I have stayed away from buildings with ducted systems (offices, malls etc) and crowds in general and have had dramatically fewer colds.

The incidence of asthma is doubling about every 15 years in Aus. The incidence is similar in city, town and country. As kid I can not remember any kids with asthma except those from the city.

Perhaps more wheezing is classified as asthma these days. Or perhaps ducted systems are more prevalent?

I wonder if the Honeywell electrostatic air cleaner or equivalent are useful?

Available in Aus:

Eastaway
Old May 4th 2005, 11:42 pm
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

I also have asthma. No problem with my medical. Inhalers can be bought over the counter here. I struggle to get the one I used in the UK (Brycanil spray inhaler you can get the turbinhaler but I hate the powder sticking to your throat)

I now use the cheap equivalent to Ventolin and it was about $9. Much cheaper than in the UK.

My asthma is non existent now but I put a lot of that down to giving up smoking on arrival in Oz. Still carry the inhaler just in case.

Jo
Old May 4th 2005, 11:49 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Megalania

I am honoured that you read some of my drivel megs

Its worth mentioning that my son (7) developed ashama here and never had it in the UK. The Dr said melbourne was the worlds asthma city cos of its greeness and climate :scared:

As megs pointed out ducted heating is not good for me, though everyone has different triggers

You also have to pay for inhalers for adults and kids but i believe you can get ventolin over the counter??
Old May 4th 2005, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

jan&co will become famous soon enough

I am an asthmatic and I feel much better since I came here 3 months ago.
Since asthma is basically an allergy-related problem, it depends on what you are allergic to. Before I came, I did an allergy test -one of the troubling allergens for me is tropical mould. So the move here is beneficial to me because of the drier climate. However, as the doc explained to me, this does not mean I will not develop further allergies to local conditions such as pollen in spring etc, especially those I have never been exposed to. So only time will tell. This is a personal experience. Have a nice day!
Old May 4th 2005, 11:54 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jan&co
Since asthma is basically an allergy-related problem, it depends on what you are allergic to. Before I came, I did an allergy test -one of the troubling allergens for me is tropical mould. So the move here is beneficial to me because of the drier climate. However, as the doc explained to me, this does not mean I will not develop further allergies to local conditions such as pollen in spring etc, especially those I have never been exposed to. So only time will tell. This is a personal experience. Have a nice day!
Like you have pointed out, wait till spring :scared: I had to take 2 zirtek, nasel sprays, eye drops and inhalers every day, it was grim. The doc said it should get better the longer i'm here though
Old May 4th 2005, 11:59 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by jan&co
I wonder what might happen if you had evaporative cooling?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.