Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Assualt and Victamization

Assualt and Victamization

Old Jan 6th 2008, 9:46 am
Just Joined

gsmemon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Assualt and Victamization

Hi, I am here on a Student Visa in Melbourne. I have been working with a Marketing company since last 6 months, first i used to work on casual projects and then from August 2007 i have been offered to work for Permanent Part Time Position on Foxtel Kiosk Project. I have started working on Foxtel Project from end of august that is including the training session. I started my job from 02-sept-2007 and after working for 2 months I asked for a unpaid leave for 5 weeks to visit my home country for some personal reasons. My State Team Leader was unhappy with it but he granted me the leave and gave me working hours in the month of December. As I returned I resume my job from 08-Dec-2007, all was going well but on 18-Dec-2007 my Kiosk Manager which is an Indian was giving a presentation to a customer and he wasn’t able to explain it properly to the customer so I went to help him and tried to join him in his conversation and as the customer left my manager start abusing me in Hindi and on this I called my states team leader and told him about the behavior of my Kiosk Manager, so my Kiosk Manager start pushing me and snatching the Mobile phone from my hand as I tried to stop him from doing it he got a slight scratch on his arm with my nail. When I told the whole situation to my States Team Leader I didn’t get any positive response from him all he said to me was that he will talk to the Kiosk Manager and after that I haven’t heard any thing from him. I have been disturbed since then and I am not getting any working hours in the month of January because my state team leader says that I have taken 5 weeks off. My weakness in this case is that, I am working over my work limitations.. I am very depressed. My states team leader and HR department knows that I am here as an International Student. They had given me the working hours with their own will, so I need a suggestion from you. What should I do in this case. Should I take them to the court and sue them for assault or I should start looking for a new job.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 9:50 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Assualt and Victamization

Look for a new job. Do you want to work for someone who treats you this way? Besides, you said it yourself'; you're working over your allowed hours. If you go to court it will come out that you are breaching your visa conditions and you face the risk of your visa being cancelled. Cross your fingers that your manager doesn't have you charged with assault for the scratch.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 9:56 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gsmemon
Hi, I am here on a Student Visa in Melbourne. I have been working with a Marketing company since last 6 months, first i used to work on casual projects and then from August 2007 i have been offered to work for Permanent Part Time Position on Foxtel Kiosk Project. I have started working on Foxtel Project from end of august that is including the training session. I started my job from 02-sept-2007 and after working for 2 months I asked for a unpaid leave for 5 weeks to visit my home country for some personal reasons. My State Team Leader was unhappy with it but he granted me the leave and gave me working hours in the month of December. As I returned I resume my job from 08-Dec-2007, all was going well but on 18-Dec-2007 my Kiosk Manager which is an Indian was giving a presentation to a customer and he wasn’t able to explain it properly to the customer so I went to help him and tried to join him in his conversation and as the customer left my manager start abusing me in Hindi and on this I called my states team leader and told him about the behavior of my Kiosk Manager, so my Kiosk Manager start pushing me and snatching the Mobile phone from my hand as I tried to stop him from doing it he got a slight scratch on his arm with my nail. When I told the whole situation to my States Team Leader I didn’t get any positive response from him all he said to me was that he will talk to the Kiosk Manager and after that I haven’t heard any thing from him. I have been disturbed since then and I am not getting any working hours in the month of January because my state team leader says that I have taken 5 weeks off. My weakness in this case is that, I am working over my work limitations.. I am very depressed. My states team leader and HR department knows that I am here as an International Student. They had given me the working hours with their own will, so I need a suggestion from you. What should I do in this case. Should I take them to the court and sue them for assault or I should start looking for a new job.
My thoughts are that you would be better off out of there. As for the "alledged" assault, I take it there were no other witnesses, and I would assume a lack of physical evidence, so it maybe your word against his. I assume that the institution you attend may have some form of legal advisors or lecturers. They maybe able to give you proper advice or contact your local police station.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 10:18 pm
Just Joined

phats n small is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to hear about your predicament. Your account of the scratch should be recorded physically i.e in writing a log or something similar. A scratch on an arm is of little consequence but if pursued by a complainant can cause you trouble. However a scratch on his arm is hardly an assault. An open attack (assault) is a punch to the face, pushing you over. If you wanted to hurt someone would you really give them a minor scratch on the arm or would you club him one to the mush. Don't blow it out of perspective but do cover your arse. Recording your account in appropriate place for later reference is the best way. Personally I would look for another job and not worry about this situation.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 12:42 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Just get a new job. Who the hell would want to work in that environment and legal action for that sort of thing is just plain silly. Frankly from the sounds of it I'd rather work in Maccas.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 2:44 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

a. get a new job
b. be careful with your visa
c. going to court, will mark you down as trouble for future employers
d. you may get more than 5 weeks unpaid leave, from Australian Govt. if they find you have breached your permit.

1. follow the rules
2. speak in a language that if you do get abused, then witnesses can witness it, and understand it , may help.

Good Luck
Old Jan 21st 2008, 3:38 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't see anywhere that you were assaulted. I did see that you were yelled at, and that you may have battered someone else.

What is your dilemma here?

Just leave and get another job - which is actually legal according to your visa conditions. If you cannot afford to live on the correct working hours, you should not be here on a student visa and may have to consider going home.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 6:52 am

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gsmemon
I say, take it on the chin and look for a new job! It's obvious from what you say that your time there is over. Suing is going to bring you very little - if anything. In fact, I suspect you may well lose out in the long run!
C'mon...seriously you are working over your limitations in a casual (ish) job.......move on!
Old Jan 21st 2008, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by augigi
I didn't see anywhere that you were assaulted. I did see that you were yelled at, and that you may have battered someone else.

What is your dilemma here?

Just leave and get another job - which is actually legal according to your visa conditions. If you cannot afford to live on the correct working hours, you should not be here on a student visa and may have to consider going home.
Couldn't agree more - there are people that have sweated blood and tears to be here - legally! If you can't abide by the rules k'off home!

Last edited by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer; Jan 21st 2008 at 6:57 am.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

jatman is just really nicejatman is just really nicejatman is just really nicejatman is just really nicejatman is just really nicejatman is just really nicejatman is just really nicejatman is just really nice

I agree with the overall advice above. Start looking for work immediately and learn from what has happened. It is unlikely you will have much success in a legal dispute.

Finally do not let the experience affect you - its not worth getting into a deep depression...you have the rest of your life to get on with. start finding things to do and feeling positive about yourself again. DEPRESSION is a disease dont let this be the start of it. Everything in life happens for a reason!!! start planning ahead!

Hope this helps - Good luck
Old Jan 21st 2008, 8:04 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

How , seriously now, could you file for assault, for a scratch?

I remember at work, we used to staple each others hands to the desk !!

For FUN !!
Old Jan 21st 2008, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au

For FUN !!
How tame! I could tell ya stories of things we used to do 'for fun' that would make you vomit and/ or pass out!! LMAO
Old Jan 21st 2008, 11:06 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au

For FUN !!
Didn't know you worked in my old office?