Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

assesment of motor mechanic skills ect

assesment of motor mechanic skills ect

Old Dec 31st 2003, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

bsmith1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question assesment of motor mechanic skills ect

Hi all! and Happy new year to all of you There and here -some are Freeeezing and some have probably seen the sun to rise hey!

anyway looks like a good website and very pleased to be here.and hope I can also help people out with my own expierences too.

I am a motor mechanic (cars) by trade -(I did gain my initial qualification in South Africa (my folks live there now)- and my wife and I are in Scotland-looong story.)

I have also completed various product courses and did a comparability(assesment) of my trade for me to work in the UK with UK Naric. Also a member of The Insitute of Motor Industries-here in the UK.I don't think I will have any bother getting my qualifications assest for the move to Australia,but.....

Can someone tell me if I would have to undergo a practical test in order to be accredited/assesed?

Has anyone here ever been through the assesment process as a motor mechanic?
What are th real ins and outs

Many Thanx all!
(oh I'm stuck inside on new years as I drew the short straw for recovery!!!!)
Old Jan 1st 2004, 11:47 am
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: assesment of motor mechanic skills ect

Originally posted by bsmith1
Hi all! and Happy new year to all of you There and here -some are Freeeezing and some have probably seen the sun to rise hey!

anyway looks like a good website and very pleased to be here.and hope I can also help people out with my own expierences too.

I am a motor mechanic (cars) by trade -(I did gain my initial qualification in South Africa (my folks live there now)- and my wife and I are in Scotland-looong story.)

I have also completed various product courses and did a comparability(assesment) of my trade for me to work in the UK with UK Naric. Also a member of The Insitute of Motor Industries-here in the UK.I don't think I will have any bother getting my qualifications assest for the move to Australia,but.....

Can someone tell me if I would have to undergo a practical test in order to be accredited/assesed?

Has anyone here ever been through the assesment process as a motor mechanic?
What are th real ins and outs

Many Thanx all!
(oh I'm stuck inside on new years as I drew the short straw for recovery!!!!)
hi there bsmith1 with relation to skills assessment i can only comment on my own experience thus far,i am applying for classification as a vehicle painter ASCO 4214-11 this trade carries with it 60 points as do most i believe,and a few of the key points are as follows.deeming date this is the date you are given with regards apprenticeship and training(the date you are deemed as qualified i believe)my date was 4 years after i started my apprenticeship.Employment statements need to be obtained from all of your previous employers stating the dates you worked and the tasks you carried out.i also believe that you have had to be practising your chosen occupation (in your case motor mechanic) for at least a year prior to your application for miminum work experience requirments.If you have served an apprenticeship and been to college i believe this to be benificial but not essential for you can qualify for length of time doing your chosen trade,if you would like to send me a pm please do so or for more info contact glenn at go matilda he is very helpful:scared:
Old Jan 1st 2004, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

My husband is a motor mechanic by trade (buy mainly HGV & building large engines) and the response you received sound about right, had to go to all previous employers and get references, discription of job etc. He needed certified copies of these plus all certificated/courses completed.

Mandy
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 11:09 pm
Forum Regular

Philanthropist5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: assesment of motor mechanic skills ect

Hi bsmith1, motor mechanic speaking. Theres no real trick to the tra assesment just copy everything thing you've got and send it to them. I sent reams of stuff, indentures, apprenticeship agreements, college certs, letters from previous employers, product training certs, references, copies of IMI membership, even school certs .

dont think about what to include just put it in. If its no use they'll ignore it.
Regarding letters from previous employers i think going back 10-12 years is sufficient,depending on your employment history.

top tip re certified copies is to get two certified copies of everything, as your application to Adelaide has to include everything you send to the TRA assesment also.
Hope that makes sense. (wish someone had told us)

Regarding a practical test, i'm not sure about your personal situation given that you had to sit one for the uk. having said that Oz does have good regognition agreements with the uk so if you are good enough for the uk i guess you should be accepted for Oz ok. But on your original point i do not believe that a practical test is the norm.
I believe that each state in oz have their own form of 'local' TRA and you have to register with that state on arrival to be allowed to work as a tradesman.

My own situation is that we are midapplication and have just sent off our medicals+police checks, so hopefully very soon now, (we applied with my wife, the nurse, as the main applicant).

Hope it helps
sean