Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Asians Migrating to Australia 2009

Asians Migrating to Australia 2009

Old Feb 14th 2009, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light
Default Asians Migrating to Australia 2009

There is no denying of the fact that we all immensely benefit from the mostly British expatriates sharing their ideas and experiences on making the move to Australia on this forum. I personally feel indebted to the forum sponsors that they are also allowing non-Brits to participate in these discussions.

I believe the reasons for migration to Australia and ground realities for Asians are quite different from those of British citizens. There are often more hurdles to overcome and less means to do so. I thought the potential Asian migrants will greatly benefit by sharing ideas among themselves and helping each other out through a separate thread.

By Asian, I'm referring to the citizens of the continental Asia i.e. Middle East, Central Asia, South Asia and South East Asia. So, every country beginning from Turkey to all the way down to Japan are included.

Apart from you reasons for migrating to Australia, you could discuss topics such as:

1. Finding a job
2. Arranging temporary accommodation
3. Renting a house
4. Help with English
5. Insurances and Medicare
6. Kids schooling
7. Support from your ethnic communities
8. Renting a house in good neighbourhood
9. Cost of living and settlement expenses
10. Australian way of life
11. Anything else that concerns you
12. Your experiences that may benefit others

Look forward to a lively participation by fellow Asians.
Old Feb 14th 2009, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all
Default Re: Asians Migrating to Australia 2009

Would it not be easier to start your own website
Old Feb 14th 2009, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by 29palms
Does rather take the mickey out of the Website "British" expats
Old Feb 14th 2009, 11:46 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

BE is open to ALL posters, as long as they obey our rules. There is no requirement for posters to be British - if there was, we would lose a huge number of valued posters.
If you don't have an interest in the thread topic, ignore it!
Old Feb 14th 2009, 11:57 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rossi
Especially when the OP has a far better command of the English language than 95% of the users of this forum.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 5:41 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caliburn
There is no denying of the fact that we all immensely benefit from the mostly British expatriates sharing their ideas and experiences on making the move to Australia on this forum. I personally feel indebted to the forum sponsors that they are also allowing non-Brits to participate in these discussions.

I believe the reasons for migration to Australia and ground realities for Asians are quite different from those of British citizens. There are often more hurdles to overcome and less means to do so. I thought the potential Asian migrants will greatly benefit by sharing ideas among themselves and helping each other out through a separate thread.

By Asian, I'm referring to the citizens of the continental Asia i.e. Middle East, Central Asia, South Asia and South East Asia. So, every country beginning from Turkey to all the way down to Japan are included.

Apart from you reasons for migrating to Australia, you could discuss topics such as:

1. Finding a job
3. Renting a house
4. Help with English
6. Kids schooling

You have covered a large chunk of the globe - someone from Turkey has zero as a nationality in common with someone from Korea.

As for the 'more hurdles' - everyone has to go through the same process no matter what country they are from. If English is your first language then it is easier but the bar is set the same for everyone.

The website may be called 'British Expats' but as far as I was aware all are welcome here. You may not have noticed, but there are more and more posters from the subcontinent now.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 7:09 am
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
You have covered a large chunk of the globe - someone from Turkey has zero as a nationality in common with someone from Korea.

As for the 'more hurdles' - everyone has to go through the same process no matter what country they are from. If English is your first language then it is easier but the bar is set the same for everyone.

The website may be called 'British Expats' but as far as I was aware all are welcome here. You may not have noticed, but there are more and more posters from the subcontinent now.
1. Actually, people from India, China, Philippines, Korea, Malaysia, Sri Lanka and Indonesia comprise about 95% of Asian migrants to Australia. Overall, Asians account for two-thirds of the total skilled migration.

2. Well, there are exceptions but in general, Asians have a more uphill task settling down in Australia than people from Europe. This is due to cultural differance, language, often lower financial means and portability of professional skills. Again, there are exceptions.

3. Yes, there are more posters nowadays from the subcontinent but they are more active in the 'Immigration' thread, asking about how to get in. However, we don't get to hear much from them on here, Barbie or Update forums. It will be interesting to know how they are settling down in Oz.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 8:53 am
ABCDiamond

Well, there are exceptions but in general, Asians have a more uphill task settling down in Australia than people from Europe. <..> Again, there are exceptions.
I think I disagree with that.

Most Asians who come here, expect Australia to be very different to their home countries, and therefore do not have such settling in problems as:
  • The Curry isn't as good as England
  • No Marks and Sparks shops !!
  • The clothes aren't made aswell as in the UK
  • Books are too expensive
  • etc

Some British who arrive here, find it a bit too different from the UK...

Old Feb 15th 2009, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I think I disagree with that.

Most Asians who come here, expect Australia to be very different to their home countries, and therefore do not have such settling in problems as:
  • The Curry isn't as good as England
  • No Marks and Sparks shops !!
  • The clothes aren't made aswell as in the UK
  • Books are too expensive
  • etc

Some British who arrive here, find it a bit too different from the UK...

You couldn't be more wrong if you went to the University of Wrong studying under Professor Not Right reading a Degree in incorrectness.

My wife is Korean, and we were married in Korea and I've spent a great deal of time there and a lot of our friends are Korean. If you think for one second that they don't compare and in general think the quality and lifestyle here is very much lacking compared what they are used to (and they are right in general), then you've graduated with honours. A lot have settling issues and many go back, or want to.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 9:17 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
You couldn't be more wrong if you went to the University of Wrong studying under Professor Not Right reading a Degree in incorrectness.

My wife is Korean, and we were married in Korea and I've spent a great deal of time there and a lot of our friends are Korean. If you think for one second that they don't compare and in general think the quality and lifestyle here is very much lacking compared what they are used to (and they are right in general), then you've graduated with honours. A lot have settling issues and many go back, or want to.
I would have thought that most Asians would have expected it to be very different from their own countries.
My wife and her friends definitely did.

I agree that they have settling issues, but from my experiences they are much more "serious" issues than my examples quoted above.

There is also the problem with understanding humour.
Australian and British humour can very different, and the same can be said for other countries.

Old Feb 15th 2009, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

ice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to all

I would have thought that most Asians would have expected it to be very different from their own countries.

I agree that they have settling issues, but from my experiences they are much more "serious" issues than my examples quoted above.

Australian and British humour can very different, and the same can be said for other countries.
i certainly agree with the humour bit, it took me a while to adjust to that!!!

i've been here 12 years....

and still learning now......
Old Feb 15th 2009, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah well there are differences in the humour for sure, very often when we're watching UKTV I'm ROFL and my wife is giving me that 'do you have indigestion'? kind of look. But she is getting better and has progressed from Mr Bean to Little Britain and finds it very funny, but struggles with things like Jam and Jerusalem and I'm sure she thinks anything by Jimmy McGovern is a documentary.

I think the reason why they 'seem' to have settled in well is because in a way they haven't settled at all. They are masters at replicating their Korean way of life here in Sydney and many businesses prosper because of it. The older (55+) generation seem to be happy enough to stay as they can remember too well the effects of the war.

But the younger ones don't, and are constantly comparing. Especially shopping and nightlife, where Oz comes up woefully short.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 2:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Rossi
Originally Posted by Pollyana
BE is open to ALL posters, as long as they obey our rules. There is no requirement for posters to be British - if there was, we would lose a huge number of valued posters.
If you don't have an interest in the thread topic, ignore it!
Obviously NOT taken in the context I had in mind despite the

However, I have to say, I personally have never visited the French expats website ...'cause I ain't French

Never mind........ I'll get over it
Old Feb 16th 2009, 4:00 am
Recession Surfing 2006 -&amp;gt;

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

1. Finding a job
3. Renting a house
4. Help with English
6. Kids schooling

I don't get it what exactly are you trying to start a huge multi thread including all the sub divisions you mentioned.

I see where your coming from and respect your right to do it but it will be a horrible thread to read. due to 12 different lines of conversation.

What you should post is a load of shorter versions like

"Anyone from India think its hard finding a job on arrival"
Old Feb 16th 2009, 4:10 am
Account Closed

Catch is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 29palms
I will second that

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.