Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Ashes Series

The Ashes Series

Old Jul 13th 2009, 10:01 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Ashes Series

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I think Jonathan Agnew said it best:
The stunning finish to the first Ashes Test in Cardiff was as unexpected as it was thrilling.

England appeared to be on the ropes at lunch, and destined for the defeat they deserved. It took typical guts and resilience from Paul Collingwood to keep the series level.

But despite the finish, we have to acknowledge they were outplayed in every department of the game, and particularly in mental attitude.

Australia were mighty impressive - completely focused, disciplined and determined. England were second division in comparison and while the tourists can definitely be beaten, they won't be if this is the best England can produce.

So, the challenge is to come up with something much better at Lord's on Thursday.
(Beeb).
Cant really argue with that Vash
Old Jul 13th 2009, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

SBOZ is just really niceSBOZ is just really niceSBOZ is just really niceSBOZ is just really niceSBOZ is just really niceSBOZ is just really niceSBOZ is just really niceSBOZ is just really niceSBOZ is just really nice

Up the poms
Old Jul 13th 2009, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I agree that England can still win this series, but I wouldn't call Australia "a very beatable Aussie team". We took 19 wickets; your boys took a mere 6. We set an impossible target; your boys responded with a bit of beach cricket and forced a draw by stonewalling for 40 minutes. Your boys were completely outplayed; even Strauss admitted it.

Collingwood looks like your only star right now, and you can't win a game on the strength of one player. If there's a "very beatable" team in this series, it's England.
Of course England are not going to win if they continue to play like they have in this test, they would have lost to Bangladesh on this performance, but i stand by what i said about this Australia side being only average and beatable, it will take a huge improvement by England but they can do it.

There has been some criticism about celebrating a draw, well i can remember Australia being pretty happy at Edgbaston in 2005 when eaking out a draw.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 10:49 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by papilon
Of course England are not going to win if they continue to play like they have in this test, they would have lost to Bangladesh on this performance, but i stand by what i said about this Australia side being only average and beatable, it will take a huge improvement by England but they can do it.

There has been some criticism about celebrating a draw, well i can remember Australia being pretty happy at Edgbaston in 2005 when eaking out a draw.
you mean Old Trafford. Edgbaston was the one we won with 3 runs left for Aus to run down
Old Jul 13th 2009, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
you mean Old Trafford. Edgbaston was the one we won with 3 runs left for Aus to run down
sorry yes thats the one
Old Jul 14th 2009, 11:20 am
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CatWithClaws
PS His eyes are too close together and he chews with his mouth open!!!! LOLOL
He is from Tasmania you know
Old Jul 14th 2009, 10:55 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Love it!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog...t-test-tactics
Old Jul 18th 2009, 3:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Wow what a transformation from Cardiff, England were superb last night, i was feeling a bit worried when they they failed to capitalise on a fantastic start by Cook and Strauss but Anderson and Onions got vital runs at the end.

The bowlers did a great job, the look on Pontins face when given out was priceless, sure it was a mistake by the umpire but he hit his boot with the bat so its also an easy mistake to make, happens all the time for both sides.

England have a great chance to win this one and build some momentum going into the last 3, but i still expect a tough weekend and its not going to be easy.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 12:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Good stuff England!

Would you have enforced the follow-on?
Old Jul 18th 2009, 1:42 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Good stuff England!

I think Strauss did the right thing. The ball isn't doing too much today and seems to be a batsmen's pitch. Tomorrow there is rain due and more likely to be pleasant for the bowlers. If Aus were batting right now I doubt we would have more than one wicket down
Old Jul 18th 2009, 2:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
I think Strauss did the right thing. The ball isn't doing too much today and seems to be a batsmen's pitch. Tomorrow there is rain due and more likely to be pleasant for the bowlers. If Aus were batting right now I doubt we would have more than one wicket down
Yeah, its always a tough one. The sun is shining and as they said this morning batting is ok when the sun is shining.

Wear them out in the field and force them to defend. The only problem is knowing when to declare, if it gets to that.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 2:43 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Yeah, its always a tough one. The sun is shining and as they said this morning batting is ok when the sun is shining.

Wear them out in the field and force them to defend. The only problem is knowing when to declare, if it gets to that.
just before lunch tomorrow I reckon. I was hoping that KP and Bopara would kick on and we could declare before end of play today to get a shot at them but that ain't gonna happen now
Old Jul 18th 2009, 2:44 pm
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute

Good stuff England!

Strauss probably did the right thing but only time will tell. Of his main bowlers Broad and Onions looked out of sorts while Freddie clearly isn't 100% fit. give them a rest and bat till the last hour then we have 2 days to bowl them out.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 2:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by perksy
Strauss probably did the right thing but only time will tell. Of his main bowlers Broad and Onions looked out of sorts while Freddie clearly isn't 100% fit. give them a rest and bat till the last hour then we have 2 days to bowl them out.
Maybe only 1 day at the most.

Sunday weather - Heavy Rain Showers

Monday weather - Light Rain Showers

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/foreca...e=10&region=uk
Old Jul 21st 2009, 1:08 pm
rab
Forum Regular

rab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone tell me the score? Why did this thread die?

What an awesome win, Freddie was excellent, had a great today winding up the Aussies!

They don't like it at all and that makes it so much more enjoyable!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.