British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   ASCO Code MODL and IEAust Question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/asco-code-modl-ieaust-question-107345/)

silver Apr 2nd 2002 4:12 pm

ASCO Code MODL and IEAust Question

Hi,

I Applied to IEAust to have my skills assessed (via the Washington Accord) as an Electronics Engineer which is ASCO Code 2125-13. I have recieved a letter back from IEAust saying that my Qualification meet the current requirements for standing as a Professional Engineer however the letter states I should apply under ASCO Code 2129-79 Electronics Systems Design Engineer. (This is the exact title of my degree , but relates to "building/ other engineering not classified elsewhere" in DIMA in Form 1121i).

My worry is that 2129-79 does not appear on the MODL list and 2125-13 (which relates more closely to my work and degree) does and that this would slow my visa application greatly and reduce the number of points I obtain (125 ->120).

Should I write back to IEAust and ask them to change the recomendation? Would they be likely to do this?

Should I continue the application as per normal?

Any advice would be grately appreciated.

Silver

A Kalouche Apr 4th 2002 11:35 am

Re: ASCO Code MODL and IEAust Question

if you got the marks and absolutely sure you will need the extra five do as they
say and save your reassement costs and time .Because the applications are
processed by DIMIA on first come first served basis. and only IT professionals are
getting priority.

"Chrispi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi Silver,
    >
    > my experience with IEAust is that they act even more bureaucratic than the
    > DIMA. So you can give it a try, but if I understood you correctly, you
would
    > meet the pass mark anyway. What remains is the loss of time due to longer
    > processing time. I'd say it is worth a try.
    >
    > Regards, Chris
    >
    > silver schrieb in Nachricht <[email protected]>...
    > >Hi,
    > >
    > >I Applied to IEAust to have my skills assessed (via the Washington Accord) as an
    > >Electronics Engineer which is ASCO Code 2125-13. I have recieved a letter back
    > >from IEAust saying that my Qualification meet the current requirements for
    > >standing as a Professional Engineer however the letter states I should apply under
    > >ASCO Code 2129-79 Electronics Systems Design Engineer. (This is the exact title of
    > >my degree , but relates to "building/ other engineering not classified elsewhere"
    > >in DIMA in Form 1121i).
    > >
    > >My worry is that 2129-79 does not appear on the MODL list and 2125-13 (which
    > >relates more closely to my work and degree) does and that this would slow my visa
    > >application greatly and reduce the number of points I obtain (125 ->120).
    > >
    > >Should I write back to IEAust and ask them to change the recomendation? Would they
    > >be likely to do this?
    > >
    > >Should I continue the application as per normal?
    > >
    > >Any advice would be grately appreciated.
    > >
    > >Silver
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >--
    > >Posted via http://britishexpats.com

silver Apr 4th 2002 4:24 pm

Thanks for the info,

I was looking at the ICT information sheet and it includes Electonic/Electrical Professional Engineers and Electronic/Electrical Associate Professionals, of which only Electronic Engineers are on the MODL list so I guess the MODL list and those that are given priority under ICT are not one and the same?? Or does DIMIA only include software engineers and sys Admins etc. as ICT at the moment??

And would the code that I have been given not get recognised as ICT when Electronic Engineer would??

Thanks Silver

Sergio Occhipin Apr 10th 2002 5:58 am

RE: ASCO Code MODL and IEAust Question

Hello Silver!!

do you know about ICT list

Where could I see the complete list?

silver <[email protected]> escribió en el mensaje de noticias
[email protected]...
    > Thanks for the info,
    >
    > I was looking at the ICT information sheet and it includes Electonic/Electrical
    > Professional Engineers and Electronic/Electrical Associate Professionals, of which
    > only Electronic Engineers are on the MODL list so I guess the MODL list and those
    > that are given priority under ICT are not one and the same?? Or does DIMIA only
    > include software engineers and sys Admins etc. as ICT at the moment??
    >
    > And would the code that I have been given not get recognised as ICT when Electronic
    > Engineer would??
    >
    > Thanks Silver
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

iancurtis Apr 10th 2002 9:00 am

I assumed that all of those IT categories named on the MODL would qualify for priority treatment. Is this incorrect ? I've applied under the IT manager code, will this have the IT priority or not ?

gbell Apr 11th 2002 6:54 am

Hi Silver,

I'm in the same situation. I'm sucessfully assessed as 2125-11, Electrical Engineer. I figured this was a more difficult category. But, like you, I'm wondering if 2125-13 wouldn't be a better idea for speed reasons.

If only IT people are getting accelerated through the process, what's the point of the MODL list? Just to give a 5 point boost to those who need it? Seems like if those occupations were *really* in demand, they'd be hurrying those people through.

I have a bit of information... I just called IEAust and spoke to someone in skills assessment. She was about as helpful as a kick in the nuts and told me to write in... no hint as to whether it would be easy to be recast as a 2125-13, possible, or even a good idea. She wasn't an assessor (it was a bit late in the workday), but didn't respond positively to my idea of calling back when an assessor was around. Hmm.

Let us know what you decide to do. I'm not relishing another several week wait just to get reassessed.

-Greg Bell