Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

AS400 Programming Work in Australia

AS400 Programming Work in Australia

Old May 6th 2005, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Default AS400 Programming Work in Australia

Dear All,

I am a 42 year old UK-based AS400 RPG Programmer who wishes to emigrate to Australia.

I have made provisional checks on the Visa points, jobs available etc and find that with a family sponsor I can make the grade and that jobs in my field exist.

However, what I need to know is whether or not it is worth even starting proceedings off at my age or will I find that employers in Australia will just not want to know me? Can anyone give me advice on this matter.

I have visited Australia recently on a scouting mission and love the place...

Steve Jones
Old May 6th 2005, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

nanci will become famous soon enoughnanci will become famous soon enough
Default Re: AS400 Programming Work in Australia

Originally Posted by Stephen Jones
Dear All,

I am a 42 year old UK-based AS400 RPG Programmer.....
Hi Steve, firstly congratulations on making the grade. As I'm sure you are aware, if you're gonna do it - you need to do it now. At 45 the door closes in your face. I was in a very similar position to you - Computer Programmer, 42 years old, crossroads in life, la la la... Now we are here, we have no regrets about the decision we took.

As to work... I also have AS400 experience, but not for the last 10 years, and it seems a lot has happened in that time, so although I applied for jobs, I never got past the agents. They all asked for the most up-to-date features, which obviously I didn't have.

Are you looking at permanent or contract work? I was originally hoping to get contract work but my most recent experience was in Unix and Oracle, skills which weren't in big demand at the time. However, I was able to change tack and get a job as a Consultant where I am now working with C# and .Net technology. I have had a varied career and worked with a lot of technologies and various business environments, so I guess that went in my favour in being eligible for this job.

I guess what I am saying is - don't rely on a single string to your bow - I came here with firm intentions of doing one thing, and have ended up doing something very different. The opportunities seem to be around, but you may need to reassess yourself to a degree.
Old May 7th 2005, 10:07 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Stephen Jones
Dear All,

I am a 42 year old UK-based AS400 RPG Programmer who wishes to emigrate to Australia.

I have made provisional checks on the Visa points, jobs available etc and find that with a family sponsor I can make the grade and that jobs in my field exist.

However, what I need to know is whether or not it is worth even starting proceedings off at my age or will I find that employers in Australia will just not want to know me? Can anyone give me advice on this matter.

I have visited Australia recently on a scouting mission and love the place...

Steve Jones
Hi Steve
I'm a 400 ap too, but ten years your junior. Not sure on the age thing from a personal pov, but I know a few guys your age who don't seem to have much trouble in the permanent or contract markets here in Sydney.
Have you got any specialities or other skill sets? Where are you heading?
I could give you a few names if you're heading here.

Good luck, Chris.
Old May 7th 2005, 8:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JulesandChris
Hi Steve
I'm a 400 ap too, but ten years your junior. Not sure on the age thing from a personal pov, but I know a few guys your age who don't seem to have much trouble in the permanent or contract markets here in Sydney.
Have you got any specialities or other skill sets? Where are you heading?
I could give you a few names if you're heading here.

Good luck, Chris.
Dear Chris,

Thank you very much for this reply. We are most likely to be heading for Melbournem where my wife has relatives, in the shorter term but Sydney certainly seems an attractive proposition. I would appreciate the name of careers advisors, should you know of any, for now...

Steve Jones
Old May 7th 2005, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nanci
Hi Steve, firstly congratulations on making the grade. As I'm sure you are aware, if you're gonna do it - you need to do it now. At 45 the door closes in your face. I was in a very similar position to you - Computer Programmer, 42 years old, crossroads in life, la la la... Now we are here, we have no regrets about the decision we took.

As to work... I also have AS400 experience, but not for the last 10 years, and it seems a lot has happened in that time, so although I applied for jobs, I never got past the agents. They all asked for the most up-to-date features, which obviously I didn't have.

Are you looking at permanent or contract work? I was originally hoping to get contract work but my most recent experience was in Unix and Oracle, skills which weren't in big demand at the time. However, I was able to change tack and get a job as a Consultant where I am now working with C# and .Net technology. I have had a varied career and worked with a lot of technologies and various business environments, so I guess that went in my favour in being eligible for this job.

I guess what I am saying is - don't rely on a single string to your bow - I came here with firm intentions of doing one thing, and have ended up doing something very different. The opportunities seem to be around, but you may need to reassess yourself to a degree.

Dear Nanci,

Thank you very much for this reply. As well as AS400 RPG experience I also have some practical experience of using ORACLE SQL and the use of HTML.

I could certainly undertake a course in C++ or something in the mean time.

Yours,
Steve Jones
Old May 7th 2005, 10:36 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nanci
Another reason not to waste time is that the rules are always changing. For example, skilled designated area sponsored will get a lot harder next year, so if this is the only route to Australia there is no time to waste.

For those who wait, there is also the risk that personal circumstances will change to render one ineligible.

Jeremy