Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

article in yesterdays paper re woman migrating and results of her medical

article in yesterdays paper re woman migrating and results of her medical

Old Jun 16th 2005, 9:58 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute
Default article in yesterdays paper re woman migrating and results of her medical

apologies if this has already been discussed (i searched but didnt find anything)

did anyone see the article in the paper about that poor woman who was planning to migrate with her family to aus...went for medicals but was found to have multiple cancerous tumours on her liver, pancreas and other organs? she apparently passed away 10 weeks after the medical officers findings being confirmed.

..........makes you dread your medicals though, doesnt it.

my condolences to her family, how awful for them.
Old Jun 16th 2005, 10:01 am

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road
Default Re: article in yesterdays paper re woman migrating and results of her medical

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
apologies if this has already been discussed (i searched but didnt find anything)

did anyone see the article in the paper about that poor woman who was planning to migrate with her family to aus...went for medicals but was found to have multiple cancerous tumours on her liver, pancreas and other organs? she apparently passed away 10 weeks after the medical officers findings being confirmed.

Hadn't heard of that. How terrible. Not only do they have their dreams of a new life whipped away from them, then they lose the stability of their old life. Terribly terribly sad. If anyone should happen to know this family, please let them know we are thinking of them and sending them love and prayers.
Old Jun 16th 2005, 10:08 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Default Re: article in yesterdays paper re woman migrating and results of her medical

Sure is sad....and thankfully, if we put it into perspective, very rare.

When my eldest sons medical came back dodgy we went to see a consultant. Thankfully all was well in our case however he did tell me of someone who's medical showed a very bad heart defect which subsequently meant the person lost all hope of going to Aus

I remembered having real mixed feelings at the time. Happy on our part, but thinking how that poor sods hopes had been dashed, especially knowing the hurdles they'd obviously gone through

Just to put balance on this though....and not to scare anyone...it IS rare. Thank goodness.

There for the grace of god eh.........

Old Jun 16th 2005, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

brutus has a brilliant futurebrutus has a brilliant futurebrutus has a brilliant futurebrutus has a brilliant futurebrutus has a brilliant futurebrutus has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Sure is sad....and thankfully, if we put it into perspective, very rare.

When my eldest sons medical came back dodgy we went to see a consultant. Thankfully all was well in our case however he did tell me of someone who's medical showed a very bad heart defect which subsequently meant the person lost all hope of going to Aus

I remembered having real mixed feelings at the time. Happy on our part, but thinking how that poor sods hopes had been dashed, especially knowing the hurdles they'd obviously gone through

Just to put balance on this though....and not to scare anyone...it IS rare. Thank goodness.

There for the grace of god eh.........
In some ways though, it can be a good thing, you might catch something early, actually get healed and prolong your life, so its not all bad.

I feel sorry for the woman involved but at least she found out she had something and was hopefully able to make the most of her last days and to be there for those who cared for her.

B
Old Jun 16th 2005, 10:15 am
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

Even if something bad is found it is not always the end of your dreams ...

I was told of a chap whose meds showed up cancer in his lung. He went on to have op and treatment. He obviously got all clear re-applied etc and is now living happily in oz and just has regular check ups there.

In fact having the meds when he did saved his life.
Old Jun 16th 2005, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

surfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the rough

Which newspaper was this ? You just couldn't imagine what the family must be going through.
Old Jun 16th 2005, 10:20 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by brutus
In some ways though, it can be a good thing, you might catch something early, actually get healed and prolong your life, so its not all bad.

I feel sorry for the woman involved but at least she found out she had something and was hopefully able to make the most of her last days and to be there for those who cared for her.

B
That is sooo true

We found out my son has a minor heart defect which has the potential to get worse as he gets older.

Having the medical meant we found it early and he now has regular annual tests to keep an eye on it .

Old Jun 16th 2005, 10:26 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Wish I hadnt read this thread, got our medicals next Friday and am paranoid something terrible will be found in one of us, not least becuase Malc has smoked since the age of 9........
Old Jun 16th 2005, 10:29 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by surfdude
Which newspaper was this ? You just couldn't imagine what the family must be going through.

It was in the Metro (the free paper you get on the buses/trams etc) - just had a quick scan but cant find it any of the online papers. shall search properly later.

sue
Old Jun 16th 2005, 10:36 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by bridiej
Wish I hadnt read this thread, got our medicals next Friday and am paranoid something terrible will be found in one of us, not least becuase Malc has smoked since the age of 9........
Hey...stop worrying [I knew this would happen ]

Just to put some perspective on this m8.....

My son, the one with the heart defect, is the fittest of us all. In fact when we went for the XRays..... three of us looked like pie eaters, whilst this son is so fit and healthy he looked out of place with us couch potatoes

We even joked it looked like we'd ate all his meals

Anyways.....when it came back that he was the unfit one none of us could believe it. We were upset and gobsmacked...to say the least.

So...the moral of the story is it doesn't matter if you smoke, drink or are slightly overweight etc...there is no rhyme nor reason. So stop worrying.

Anyways, worrying is crap for blood pressure...so stop it

Old Jun 16th 2005, 10:37 am

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

Good luck Bridie. We are having ours done tomorrow :scared:
Old Jun 16th 2005, 10:53 am

Hey...stop worrying [I knew this would happen ]

Just to put some perspective on this m8.....

My son, the one with the heart defect, is the fittest of us all. In fact when we went for the XRays..... three of us looked like pie eaters, whilst this son is so fit and healthy he looked out of place with us couch potatoes

We even joked it looked like we'd ate all his meals

Anyways.....when it came back that he was the unfit one none of us could believe it. We were upset and gobsmacked...to say the least.

So...the moral of the story is it doesn't matter if you smoke, drink or are slightly overweight etc...there is no rhyme nor reason. So stop worrying.

Anyways, worrying is crap for blood pressure...so stop it
I know you're right, it's that annoying little voice again.....

Good luck Anne
Old Jun 16th 2005, 11:02 am
Phoenixuk2oz

I know you're right, it's that annoying little voice again.....
OMG.....that's schizophrenia :scared:

....not sure you wanna mention that

Old Jun 16th 2005, 11:06 am

OMG.....that's schizophrenia :scared:

....not sure you wanna mention that

PMSL!