Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Article in the UK Guardian on Australian Water Shortage

Article in the UK Guardian on Australian Water Shortage

Old Jun 23rd 2005, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

Dmartyos has a spectacular aura aboutDmartyos has a spectacular aura aboutDmartyos has a spectacular aura about
Default Article in the UK Guardian on Australian Water Shortage

Just thought Id add this as I stummbled apon it recently.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/elsewhere/...346106,00.html

Its shows the breakdown in 2000 of where the water supplies the Australian population has against where the water is being used in.

There is a huge difference between the amount used in farming then in industry / households. Huge amounts used for unecomonic industries such as sugar / Rice / Cotton growing which uses the same amount of water resource as the whole of the population.

Why is this never mentioned by the Oz government?

Do you think the small scale reduction of water usage planned in major cities will have any affect in the whole scale of things?

Im all for being eco friendly - but why doesnt the Oz govt look to reduce these unporfitable indusries (obviously for jobs) & reduce the major problem which is lack of water rescource & reduction in the Murray river?

Cheers Marty
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 11:44 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future
Default Re: Article in the UK Guardian on Australian Water Shortage

Originally Posted by Dmartyos

Its shows the breakdown in 2000 of where the water supplies the Australian population has against where the water is being used in.

There is a huge difference between the amount used in farming then in industry / households. Huge amounts used for unecomonic industries such as sugar / Rice / Cotton growing which uses the same amount of water resource as the whole of the population.

Do you think the small scale reduction of water usage planned in major cities will have any affect in the whole scale of things?

Im all for being eco friendly - but why doesnt the Oz govt look to reduce these unporfitable indusries (obviously for jobs) & reduce the major problem which is lack of water rescource & reduction in the Murray river?

Cheers Marty
In hand.

9/10ths of the population of the cities produce nothing but sewage flowing into the sea. Get rid of them, get rid of the problem.
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 1:00 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Cheers Marty
Part of the problem is the size of the country. In Victoria (the smallest of the mainland states) the water used by the farmers out of the Murray would be of no use to people in Melbourne as it is so far away.

Having said that, it is becoming a problem and is starting to get onto the political radar. It seems odd that this hasn't been a political problem before, but then you would also wonder why it took so long to tackle the problem in the UK.

Regards
Alistair
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 1:22 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Megalania
In hand.

9/10ths of the population of the cities produce nothing but sewage flowing into the sea. Get rid of them, get rid of the problem.
But for the 1/10th actually producing something, there are 2/10ths supporting them with admin and support functions (although they try their best to get the producers to do their own timesheets and expense forms), then there is another 2/10th supplying support services to the support functions with the final 4/10ths doing bugger all (bloody schoolkids and pensioners).

A.
Attached Thumbnails Article in the UK Guardian on Australian Water Shortage-productivity-joke.jpg  
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

Dmartyos has a spectacular aura aboutDmartyos has a spectacular aura aboutDmartyos has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: Article in the UK Guardian on Australian Water Shortage

Originally Posted by Megalania
In hand.

Ha ha, some sort of huge poulation cull - is that what your refering to? Is that in Oz or worldwide? Big immagination there!

Its just something thats coming up more & more in oz news (also UK & Worldwide). However these countries subsudise farming to the hilt even though they are so uneconomic its unreal. The water article just highlights this in Oz. Watched an programme about Malaysia against Ghana last night.

50 years ago they were similar in GDP / Growth after being freed from British empire - See some day australia will have the same! Joke. Showed the difference in industry/education/r&d since & Malaysia has streeked ahead.

These countries, such as Malaysia/china/ India are becoming ready to have a huge impact on high tect (so called future) industries - it must cause concern for developed countries like UK & Oz who see their global share reducing & chinas economy growing 10% per year.

These countries will kill developed countries in the future as against US they dont have the pension/welfare costs which go through every US company & in Western europe they wont have governments who have to keep pilling money into NHservices/Pensions/state benefits - where as the they can invest in R&D & have a higher living disparaty as its "expected from 3rd world countries"

From a personal view I think I will be continually having to change / alter my skill set to be competitive where as my fathers generation did their job all their life due to restritive trade/localised markets & quotas against imports.

Anyway thats my thought for the day, think Ive been out in the sun too much at lunch time.
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 10:03 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

From a personal view I think I will be continually having to change / alter my skill set to be competitive where as my fathers generation did their job all their life due to restritive trade/localised markets & quotas against imports.
You seem to have the grasp.

The consequence of living in the world's driest inhabitable continent, remote from the main areas of population, is low population and high agricultural and mineral resources relative to the population.

Both the rainfall and commodity prices are erratic. About every generation, a commodity price boom comes along lifting the $A and making the city sector uncompetitive with the city sector elsewhere in the world. City based industries which are the bread and butter of less endowed countries are killed off or curtailed.

Australia is the land of opportunity - not in the widely perceived manner - but literally - one must be alert to the opportunities as changes in weather and prices present.

For example, now is a good time for a young person to build their skills and bank balance through working in the mining and associated industries.