Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Arrrgh please advise!

Arrrgh please advise!

Old Sep 7th 2007, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

The Wests is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Arrrgh please advise!

Oh my! We have got our visas and have booked our flights. We will arrive in Perth on 9th Jan and we have never been before.

Can anyone recommend which suburbs to look at for rental accomodation and also good high schools. All the research points to North Perth but still so many suburbs I dont know where to start.

Our son is 13 at the end of jan and I believe that is when they start high school over there which is good as he will be new with lots of other kids. I am struggling to find out which are the good schools and am overwhelmed with the info coming through Google searches etc. Need advice from someone who has been there.

So much to do! Exciting but stomach churning at the same time, all advice gratefully received as Visa Bureau don't want to know now!
Cheers!
Andrea
Old Sep 7th 2007, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arrrgh please advise!

Originally Posted by The Wests
Oh my! We have got our visas and have booked our flights. We will arrive in Perth on 9th Jan and we have never been before.

Can anyone recommend which suburbs to look at for rental accomodation and also good high schools. All the research points to North Perth but still so many suburbs I dont know where to start.

Our son is 13 at the end of jan and I believe that is when they start high school over there which is good as he will be new with lots of other kids. I am struggling to find out which are the good schools and am overwhelmed with the info coming through Google searches etc. Need advice from someone who has been there.

So much to do! Exciting but stomach churning at the same time, all advice gratefully received as Visa Bureau don't want to know now!
Cheers!
Andrea

A lot of new arrivals use the Hillary's Hotel as a base for a week or so while they get their bearings. I suggest you jump in a hire car and drive around the burbs both NOR and SOR.......... then flip a coin to see where you will end up?

No good listening to me because i am definitely biased; I have lived NOR for the last 17 years and i like living NOR yet according to some posters NOR is poxy............ and full of Poms?

Everyone to his/her own so you will really have to decide where you are apt to end up yourself?

If you PM me your email address I can send you a good school handbook as an attachment. It will give you some sort of an insight into what to expect from the schools down-under in Perth? When we arrived our 3 sons were toddlers so they have all been through the school system here......... and I'm pleased to say all are doing well in their chosen career path.

The main thing is for you not to panic now; you should get loads of good advice from BE members who have been there..... done that?
Old Sep 7th 2007, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

helenwilson will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Bobcat
A lot of new arrivals use the Hillary's Hotel as a base for a week or so while they get their bearings. I suggest you jump in a hire car and drive around the burbs both NOR and SOR.......... then flip a coin to see where you will end up?

No good listening to me because i am definitely biased; I have lived NOR for the last 17 years and i like living NOR yet according to some posters NOR is poxy............ and full of Poms?

Everyone to his/her own so you will really have to decide where you are apt to end up yourself?

If you PM me your email address I can send you a good school handbook as an attachment. It will give you some sort of an insight into what to expect from the schools down-under in Perth? When we arrived our 3 sons were toddlers so they have all been through the school system here......... and I'm pleased to say all are doing well in their chosen career path.

The main thing is for you not to panic now; you should get loads of good advice from BE members who have been there..... done that?
Hi I have pm you to ask if you could also send me the attachment on schools. sorry to butt in. thanks
Old Sep 8th 2007, 3:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helenwilson
Hi I have pm you to ask if you could also send me the attachment on schools. sorry to butt in. thanks
No worries................ it's flying through cyber space as we speak.
Old Sep 8th 2007, 5:50 am
BE Enthusiast

SKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud of

thought that they start highschool at 12, I remember being 13 when leaving Australia, and I was taken out of 8th grade