Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Arriving in Redcliffe

Arriving in Redcliffe

Old Jun 10th 2009, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

jaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nice
Default Re: Arriving in Redcliffe

Hi Lou,
I work at Redcliffe hospital & love it...I'm on 6w orthopaedic ...at the end of my grad year & the staff & conditions on my ward are excellent
I'm moving to Caloundra in a few weeks but will still be driving to work down here.....Redcliffe doesn't do it for me unfortunately...chose Scarborough state school for my kids which I've regretted for some time....can't advise you on any others though most people on the peninsula I've spoken to prefer the private schools ...I live in Scarborough just off landsborough ave...supposed to be a quiet time for renting so you may be in luck...we are breaking our lease to move so ours will be empty soon....no fans,air-con or window screens though...killer in summer but 2 mins to beach
jacq
Old Jun 10th 2009, 9:03 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yvonnemidwife
The mater is an amazing hospital but a long commute it can take an hour or even two on train dependent on connection I was having to be up at four for an early which killed me. I am now driving which is an easy forty min drive out of peak. I could cry when I see the traffic on other side of road as it nose to bumper all the way but luckily shift work means u miss that. I had to do mater as we needed relocation money to get us here. However it tough working full time but Ive recently heard u can reduce your hrs without consequence am looking into that! All that said once I have done my two years I hope to get a job at redcliffe as I can see hospital from our house and it would make life much simpler. My husband stays home with kids child care so far has been tough to find and can't even find play group at mo. Think I may open a nursery he he. Bare in mind as pr u get 130 dollars a week for nursery fees. Can't wait for more to come we missed Easter and just adore it here. It a perfect family spot but be prepared for bed by nine pm as u get up to enjoy sun so early and also all shops even big malls close at five and takeaway at eight he he life is so much better here. It makes it easier with friends tho so keep in touch. Maybe we need an meet up in redcliff would love to meet people x
A fellow Foxes supporter maybe?
Old Jun 10th 2009, 9:08 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouB
We would love to meet up if anybody is interested.

The info has been really helpful, have decided that I really don't want the commute. I really like the sound of Redcliffe Hospital. More interested in buying a bike not a car.
What is the $130 for? Does it cover child care for 8 year olds as well?
The staff at Redcliffe have been amazing to us. I met them last year when we visited. I originally interviewed September2007! Wait for a CO and further meds for our youngest meant no visa untill May 09. I have kept in touch and they are still prepared to take me on there! Fantastic really
We did think it would be bed at 9 and it does have a quiet feel to it but we hope to make the most of nice mornings and the weekends. We arent too bothered about the lack of pubs etc in the week as over here I work full time plus on calls (average 45 hours a week) and OH is full time and does all the running around with the boys for school We are definately looking forward to quieter times and there are no on calls at Redcliffe theatre department. Yippeeee!
Bit worying about child care but Broad Shoulders has reccommended one so will be trying it out. Have contacted Redcliffe State High for Will and they got back the next day with loads of info so going for them.

Any roads / streets in Scarborough to avoid for traffic etc? When we were over they hadn't built the new Woolworths and are the shops on Redcliffe front changing now?

Thanks again for the help, Lou
Roads to avoid, mostly because of the amount of traffic they get would be Klingner Road, Oxley Av/Landsborough Av, Scarborough Rd, Eversleigh Rd, Ashmole Rd, Griffith Rd. But Scarborough really is the pick of the Peninsula in my opinion, we couldn't quite afford to buy there back when we were in the market, but things have come down a bit there in the last year.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

LouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really nice

I read your moving to Caloundra thread Jaca and noticed you were going. Might see you in the hospital though as in theatres. We like the look of where you are. Sent an enquiry about an apartment in Lansborough Avenue but it is too soon to get any interest.
We can't buy yet Broad Shoulders and are a bit tight for cash having dropped the house price right down to sell. Will rent in Scarborough (need the catchment area for Redcliffe Sate High) but also loved the look of Margate. We hope to buy in a couple of years.
Who are the Foxws? and do any of you know of any karate clubs for the 13 year old. Need a swimming club for the 8 year old. Plenty of them I suppose?
Lou
Old Jun 10th 2009, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

yvonnemidwife will become famous soon enoughyvonnemidwife will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by LouB
I read your moving to Caloundra thread Jaca and noticed you were going. Might see you in the hospital though as in theatres. We like the look of where you are. Sent an enquiry about an apartment in Lansborough Avenue but it is too soon to get any interest.
We can't buy yet Broad Shoulders and are a bit tight for cash having dropped the house price right down to sell. Will rent in Scarborough (need the catchment area for Redcliffe Sate High) but also loved the look of Margate. We hope to buy in a couple of years.
Who are the Foxws? and do any of you know of any karate clubs for the 13 year old. Need a swimming club for the 8 year old. Plenty of them I suppose?
Lou
Hi lou my six yr old started a fab karate class last week in redcliffe. Dolphins have great swimming club but and classes rental is slow at mo so bargain your rent particularly ones that are bigger as they just not going. We signed a two year lease on grace street which is lovely quiet road and bargained hundred dollars a fortnight off rent x the catholic school we prefered as next to primary for both our girls and much better results than state and very affordable. 76 dolllara a fortnight x
Old Jun 11th 2009, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

LouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really nice

Thank you for the info - the eldest will be relieved. He is up to brown belt.
I will PM you before we go if that's ok Yvonne and ask your advice on any rentals. Hope to see you soon over there!
Lou