Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Arriving in Redcliffe

Arriving in Redcliffe

Old May 25th 2009, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

LouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really nice
Default Arriving in Redcliffe

Hi,
We are finally on our way!

Aiming to be in Redcliffe September and wondered who is out there.
Have talked to a few of you before.
Can't wait to get there!
We are looking to rent in Scarborough and want to get the boys into the state high. Any other recommendations? What is the school for Woody Point?
Any junior schools good / bad things to say.
See you all soon! Lou
Old May 25th 2009, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

charlie rara is just really nicecharlie rara is just really nicecharlie rara is just really nicecharlie rara is just really nicecharlie rara is just really nicecharlie rara is just really nicecharlie rara is just really nicecharlie rara is just really nice
Default Re: Arriving in Redcliffe

keep us posted on this 1 please . all info would be great as looking at redcliffe ourselves
Old May 27th 2009, 3:34 am
Forum Regular

Babydurbs is a jewel in the roughBabydurbs is a jewel in the roughBabydurbs is a jewel in the roughBabydurbs is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by LouB
Hi,

Can't wait to get there!
We are looking to rent in Scarborough and want to get the boys into the state high. Any other recommendations? What is the school for Woody Point?
See you all soon! Lou
Good luck for September!!! We have been in Westlake, Brisbane for nearly 8 months and loving it. We also love going up to Redcliffe, its a lovely place.
Old May 27th 2009, 3:44 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Can't wait to get there!
See you all soon! Lou
Weldone!
I have been in Redcliffe for 5 years now. We moved here from Inner Brisbane Suburbs. We spent a good 2 years before choosing where to buy so we knew Redcliffe was the right place for us. How old are your kids? The main school in Woody Point is Humpybong (I think). One of my best mates is a teacher there, although i am not sure about its reputation. i will ask for you and report back. I haven't heard great things about Scarborough State School, which is funny really because of all the Redcliffe suburbs Scarborough is probably the most affluent. Neither of our kids are schooling age yet but we have our oldest on the waiting list at Southern Cross. It is a private Catholic school, but fees are so cheap when comparing to English private education ($1500 a year until he turns 9). It also seems to be from speaking with other parents who have kids there to be the least preaching of the lot on the peninsula. I'll ask my teacher mate what places have the best reputation.
Most of the Redcliffe, Scarborough, Margate and Woody Point places to be are East of Oxley Avenue. This is a term the Real Estate agents use a lot in their ads. The benfit of this is the close proximity to the shoreline and beaches. Try and stay off the main thouroughfares as Redcliffe still has a bit of a bad reputation for hoons (idiots in overpowered cars for their driving ability to you and I). So try and stay away from Oxley Av, Victoria Av, Anzac Av, Scarborough Rd, Snook St/Elizabeth Av, Klingner Rd.

Good luck
Old May 27th 2009, 8:33 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

My friend says he wouldn't send his own kids to Humpybong. Apparently the best state school on the Peninsula is Hercules Rd
Old May 27th 2009, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

Demented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really nice

Hi,

Can't wait to get there!
See you all soon! Lou
Hi Lou, some fo our previous guests are renting at Margate and have kids aged 9 and 5 who have been attending the Humpybong state school, and really enjoying it.

Dale
Old May 27th 2009, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

teppic is just really niceteppic is just really niceteppic is just really niceteppic is just really niceteppic is just really niceteppic is just really niceteppic is just really niceteppic is just really nice

Not in Redcliffe but will be in Wellington Point from Oct......I just love the views there....
Old May 28th 2009, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

LouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really nice

Hi all,
Thanks for the info. Our boys are 13 and 8. The eldest is very academic and into maths and sciences,the youngest has some special needs and less academic. We were thinking about Redcliffe High for Will and the Hercules school report looks good. Thanks for the advice. We could look into the Catholic school as well.
Any advice on rentals? We were thinking of an apartment for the first 6 months at least although I love old houses and we live in a victorian over here. We were wondering what some of the 'town houses' are like and also the apartments on Dix Street? I will be working at the hospital and really dont want to travel far to start with.
Also..... what is the childcare situation like. We know nobody! The eldest is ok but we need some provision for Alex.
We did a reccy in March of last year and think this willbe the place for us. I am sure we will get things sorted ,Lou
Old Jun 7th 2009, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

yvonnemidwife will become famous soon enoughyvonnemidwife will become famous soon enough

Hi all,
Thanks for the info. Our boys are 13 and 8. The eldest is very academic and into maths and sciences,the youngest has some special needs and less academic. We were thinking about Redcliffe High for Will and the Hercules school report looks good. Thanks for the advice. We could look into the Catholic school as well.
Any advice on rentals? We were thinking of an apartment for the first 6 months at least although I love old houses and we live in a victorian over here. We were wondering what some of the 'town houses' are like and also the apartments on Dix Street? I will be working at the hospital and really dont want to travel far to start with.
Also..... what is the childcare situation like. We know nobody! The eldest is ok but we need some provision for Alex.
We did a reccy in March of last year and think this willbe the place for us. I am sure we will get things sorted ,Lou
Hi lou we live in Scarborough and could not be happier we arrived seven weeks again and we trueky live the dream scar is beautiful with stunning walks a nice beach and short bike ride to lagoon our six yr old goes to southern cross and it is a great school I work at mater hospital and already we know we ok never go back to uk
Old Jun 7th 2009, 6:40 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Originally Posted by yvonnemidwife
Hi lou we live in Scarborough and could not be happier we arrived seven weeks again and we trueky live the dream scar is beautiful with stunning walks a nice beach and short bike ride to lagoon our six yr old goes to southern cross and it is a great school I work at mater hospital and already we know we ok never go back to uk
that's saying soemthing as you wouldn't have experienced the best times in Redcliffe yet. As the weather gets warmer, the waterfront just becomes more and more enjoyable. Were you here for Easter and the festival of sails?
Old Jun 7th 2009, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

Hi Yvonne,
Thanks for the encouragement. How do you find the commute to The Mater? The relocation package looks good but I havent applied as Redcliffe have a place for me. Did you ever think of Redcliffe? Also, how are you managing with child care?
We are looking at Scarborough. Have seen some apartments in Landsborough avenue but they will probably be gone by the time we get there.
The Mater are advertising for theatre nurses now and it has given me something to think about. Still want to go to Redcliffe though as we have looked schools up and lots more.
Hope to see you there one day, Lou
Old Jun 7th 2009, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

nixster is just really nicenixster is just really nicenixster is just really nicenixster is just really nicenixster is just really nicenixster is just really nicenixster is just really nicenixster is just really nice

Hi Yvonne,
Thanks for the encouragement. How do you find the commute to The Mater? The relocation package looks good but I havent applied as Redcliffe have a place for me. Did you ever think of Redcliffe? Also, how are you managing with child care?
We are looking at Scarborough. Have seen some apartments in Landsborough avenue but they will probably be gone by the time we get there.
The Mater are advertising for theatre nurses now and it has given me something to think about. Still want to go to Redcliffe though as we have looked schools up and lots more.
Hope to see you there one day, Lou
hi lou im looking to go to Redcliffe next February. im a nurse as well and just waiting for my registration to go through.let me know your thoughts on the hospitals in the arae.
cheers and goodl uck
Old Jun 8th 2009, 8:37 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Originally Posted by nixster
hi lou im looking to go to Redcliffe next February. im a nurse as well and just waiting for my registration to go through.let me know your thoughts on the hospitals in the arae.
cheers and goodl uck
well you won't be short of ex-pats in the Redcliffe Hospital if that is where you end up. We took my youngest there some months back and we counted 10 people in our time there who spoke to us with British accents.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 7:02 am
Forum Regular

yvonnemidwife will become famous soon enoughyvonnemidwife will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
well you won't be short of ex-pats in the Redcliffe Hospital if that is where you end up. We took my youngest there some months back and we counted 10 people in our time there who spoke to us with British accents.
The mater is an amazing hospital but a long commute it can take an hour or even two on train dependent on connection I was having to be up at four for an early which killed me. I am now driving which is an easy forty min drive out of peak. I could cry when I see the traffic on other side of road as it nose to bumper all the way but luckily shift work means u miss that. I had to do mater as we needed relocation money to get us here. However it tough working full time but Ive recently heard u can reduce your hrs without consequence am looking into that! All that said once I have done my two years I hope to get a job at redcliffe as I can see hospital from our house and it would make life much simpler. My husband stays home with kids child care so far has been tough to find and can't even find play group at mo. Think I may open a nursery he he. Bare in mind as pr u get 130 dollars a week for nursery fees. Can't wait for more to come we missed Easter and just adore it here. It a perfect family spot but be prepared for bed by nine pm as u get up to enjoy sun so early and also all shops even big malls close at five and takeaway at eight he he life is so much better here. It makes it easier with friends tho so keep in touch. Maybe we need an meet up in redcliff would love to meet people x
Old Jun 10th 2009, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

We would love to meet up if anybody is interested.

The info has been really helpful, have decided that I really don't want the commute. I really like the sound of Redcliffe Hospital. More interested in buying a bike not a car.
What is the $130 for? Does it cover child care for 8 year olds as well?
The staff at Redcliffe have been amazing to us. I met them last year when we visited. I originally interviewed September2007! Wait for a CO and further meds for our youngest meant no visa untill May 09. I have kept in touch and they are still prepared to take me on there! Fantastic really
We did think it would be bed at 9 and it does have a quiet feel to it but we hope to make the most of nice mornings and the weekends. We arent too bothered about the lack of pubs etc in the week as over here I work full time plus on calls (average 45 hours a week) and OH is full time and does all the running around with the boys for school We are definately looking forward to quieter times and there are no on calls at Redcliffe theatre department. Yippeeee!
Bit worying about child care but Broad Shoulders has reccommended one so will be trying it out. Have contacted Redcliffe State High for Will and they got back the next day with loads of info so going for them.

Any roads / streets in Scarborough to avoid for traffic etc? When we were over they hadn't built the new Woolworths and are the shops on Redcliffe front changing now?

Thanks again for the help, Lou

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.