Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Arriving for the First Time

Arriving for the First Time

Old Jan 1st 2006, 11:56 am
Newbie... *tripfallbang*

Melburrrrnnnn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Arriving for the First Time

Arriving in Melbourne in 2 weeks time, with my Aussie wife in tow [or the other way round]
Still huge amounts of things to sort out, but we're on the last leg now, so I've been starting to think about practical stuff when we first arrive, family coming to greet us at the airport etc.

Sooo....
Are we likely to get delayed at customs/immigration? Do they have a thorough check/interview for first-time immigrants or is it pretty much the same as arriving as a visitor/tourist?
Old Jan 1st 2006, 12:06 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Arriving for the First Time

Originally Posted by Melburrrrnnnn
Arriving in Melbourne in 2 weeks time, with my Aussie wife in tow [or the other way round]
Still huge amounts of things to sort out, but we're on the last leg now, so I've been starting to think about practical stuff when we first arrive, family coming to greet us at the airport etc.

Sooo....
Are we likely to get delayed at customs/immigration? Do they have a thorough check/interview for first-time immigrants or is it pretty much the same as arriving as a visitor/tourist?

No not at all, you won't be held back any longer than anyone else.
Old Jan 1st 2006, 12:06 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Sooo....
When we arrived in Oz back in May for our reccie, it took us about ten minutes to get through customs. We arrived at 6:00 a.m., which might have helped. We emigrated in August, and arrived on the equivalent flight - same airport, same arrival time, same day - and customs/immigration took us almost two hours. My back was breaking by the time we got out of the airport. Whether this was solely to do with the fact that we were immigrants the second time, I don't know, but it was a tiring start!

Good luck. Hope you have a great life here.

Sue
Old Jan 1st 2006, 12:10 pm
Newbie... *tripfallbang*

Thanks for the quick responses, Birdy & Bella Donna.

That's good news... means the relatives won't be waiting around for too long hopefully...

Ian
Old Jan 1st 2006, 12:25 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Sooo....
Its exactly the same as arriving as a tourist. No fanfares or otherwise. You may if your really lucky get a "welcome to australia" from the immigration officer but thats it. You queue along with everyone else and its terribly unexciting.
Old Feb 9th 2006, 12:53 am
Newbie... *tripfallbang*

Much as predicted...

No "welcome", no fanfare, no red carpet... but I was hoping on a low-key arrival as long as this signalled no probs through immigration/customs etc.

Phew.

In fact, our arrival was so low key that my wife's family were so busy getting their coffees that they didn't even notice us appear at the "Hello Gates"...
Old Feb 9th 2006, 3:10 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Much as predicted...

No "welcome", no fanfare, no red carpet... but I was hoping on a low-key arrival as long as this signalled no probs through immigration/customs etc.

Phew.

In fact, our arrival was so low key that my wife's family were so busy getting their coffees that they didn't even notice us appear at the "Hello Gates"...

Welcome to the best city in Oz.
Old Feb 9th 2006, 3:22 am
Forum Regular

dshole will become famous soon enoughdshole will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Bordy
I second that.
Old Feb 9th 2006, 4:25 am
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

thirded,

Louise
Old Feb 9th 2006, 4:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Fourthed

lol, which side of the city are you planning to reside in ?
Old Feb 9th 2006, 4:39 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
Err? I thought he was going to Melbourne
Old Feb 9th 2006, 5:16 am
Newbie... *tripfallbang*

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Err? I thought he was going to Melbourne
Thank you for your kind welcome, peoples...

We actually touched down 3 weeks ago, and are staying in the boonies
[never to be confused with "at Boonie's", of course]
on the "North Side", up in Hurstbridge till we get things together [see below]. Staying with bro-in-law & sis-in-law.

Saving up for deposit [plus insurance, plus stamp duty], so we may be here some time. Will probably live somewhere with good access to both my wife's siblings [Hursty & Ascot Vale]... so maybe Greensborough, or we may resort to a land & build package to save on stamp duty etc. if we can find somewhere cheap and nice and accessible and... etc.

Got friends out in Narre Warren, but that's a bit too far out East for us, although very excited to be able to visit Kath n' Kim territory, of course...

Will be picking brains for advice as we go along, no doubt, although Mrs Melburrrrnnnn is a from here, so I may have to at least pretend I'm listening to her advice first...

Thanks again for the kind welcome. And if anyone can give me any advice on nursing grades, please see HERE

Cheers

Ian

Last edited by Melburrrrnnnn; Feb 9th 2006 at 5:26 am.
Old Feb 10th 2006, 1:17 am
Mad Nurse now in NSW

eljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Ian

Posted the pay scales on the last thread for you

justin