Reload this Page >

Arriving 1 month before visa expires

Arriving 1 month before visa expires

Old Dec 31st 2005, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

Phil-UK will become famous soon enough
Default Arriving 1 month before visa expires

Hi,

Due to finances and other personal matters we will be arriving in Brisbane just 1 month before our PR visa expires. I assume this is OK?

I know we can't leave wihout obtaining RRV visas which we won't get for a while but I assume once we have a valid visa we will be OK on arrival?

I haven't read anything about it not being OK. Anyone know about this?

Phil.
Old Dec 31st 2005, 1:40 pm
Potton to the Gold Coast

Rob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Arriving 1 month before visa expires

As far as i am aware, as long as you get a RRV or citizenship, then all should be ok

Originally Posted by Phil-UK
Hi,

Due to finances and other personal matters we will be arriving in Brisbane just 1 month before our PR visa expires. I assume this is OK?

I know we can't leave wihout obtaining RRV visas which we won't get for a while but I assume once we have a valid visa we will be OK on arrival?

Phil.
Old Dec 31st 2005, 1:51 pm
BuggerMan

The Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of light

Hi. You will be fine as long as your visa is valid on your arrival date. Just remember you cannot leave Australia without a Resident Return Visa, which takes 2 years to obtain from your arrival date. If you leave Australia before, you will lose your visa.
So you are stuck here for 2 year :scared:

Erik
Old Dec 31st 2005, 2:06 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Norwegian
Hi. You will be fine as long as your visa is valid on your arrival date. Just remember you cannot leave Australia without a Resident Return Visa, which takes 2 years to obtain from your arrival date. If you leave Australia before, you will lose your visa.
So you are stuck here for 2 year

Not quite - once they can show they are *living* in Australia and not just visiting they may be able to get a 5 year RRV on the basis of 'substantial ties' without needing 2 years.

There is also a 3 month (single entry) RRV for emergencies that is simpler to get. Form 968i has details:
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/968i.pdf

Arriving 1 month before expiry of visa is acceptable but the original posters do need to know that DIMIA are not flexible on the expiry date (not even 1 day over the limit is acceptable) and if they delay further that may well be the end of their permanent residence.

Jeremy
Old Dec 31st 2005, 2:08 pm

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by JAJ
Not quite - once they can show they are *living* in Australia and not just visiting they may be able to get a 5 year RRV on the basis of 'substantial ties' without needing 2 years.

There is also a 3 month (single entry) RRV for emergencies that is simpler to get. Form 968i has details:

Arriving 1 month before expiry of visa is acceptable but the original posters do need to know that DIMIA are not flexible on the expiry date (not even 1 day over the limit is acceptable) and if they delay further that may well be the end of their permanent residence.

Jeremy
Can I clarify exactly what we are talking about here? Is the visa expiry date different from the date that you have to validate by? We have to validate by end of April and intend to move permanently before that. Does that mean we have to wait 2 years before we can come and visit the UK?
Old Dec 31st 2005, 2:10 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anne4Terry
Can I clarify exactly what we are talking about here? Is the visa expiry date different from the date that you have to validate by? We have to validate by end of April and intend to move permanently before that. Does that mean we have to wait 2 years before we can come and visit the UK?
The visa expiry date is 5 years from date of grant.

The requirement to validate the visa before an (earlier) date is a condition which you must abide by or DIMIA will cancel the visa. So the two dates are very different.

Form 968i explains that initial migrant visas have a 5 year multiple re-entry facility.

Jeremy
Old Dec 31st 2005, 2:15 pm

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by JAJ
The visa expiry date is 5 years from date of grant.

The requirement to validate the visa before an (earlier) date is a condition which you must abide by or DIMIA will cancel the visa. So the two dates are very different.

Form 968i explains that initial migrant visas have a 5 year multiple re-entry facility.

Jeremy
Thanks. Thought that was the case but had a sudden foggy moment of panic when I read the OP. My daughter is planning a family and I have promised to come back and stay for a bit when the baby is born.
Old Dec 31st 2005, 3:41 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ

Jeremy
Had palpatations for a moment there. Our PR Visa expires in Sept 2007. We are planning a move in 2006 but I will need to return to the UK to undergo a Viva in either 2007 or 2008. As I will be living and working from what I have read I should be able to get a 3 month RRV.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Dec 31st 2005, 4:44 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Stitch
Had palpatations for a moment there. Our PR Visa expires in Sept 2007. We are planning a move in 2006 but I will need to return to the UK to undergo a Viva in either 2007 or 2008. As I will be living and working from what I have read I should be able to get a 3 month RRV.

You need to read the form again. Once you are clearly *living* in Australia you should be able to demonstrate 'substantial ties' required to get a 5 year visa.

The 3 month visa is a fall-back for emergencies if you cannot get a 5 year visa.

Jeremy
Old Dec 31st 2005, 5:45 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
You need to read the form again. Once you are clearly *living* in Australia you should be able to demonstrate 'substantial ties' required to get a 5 year visa.

The 3 month visa is a fall-back for emergencies if you cannot get a 5 year visa.

Jeremy

Even better. Will have the job and hopefully a mortgage on a house.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Dec 31st 2005, 9:24 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Phil.
I take it that you have validated if required?
Old Jan 1st 2006, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rog Williams
I take it that you have validated if required?
Yes, we validated back in Sept 2001, we had to validate by Nov 2001 so that's all cool. We expected to be there long ago but things haven't worked out that way. Our visa expires Mar 2006 and we plan to fly out in Feb 2006.

Thanks for the replies folks, much appreciated.

Philip
Old Jan 1st 2006, 1:22 pm
JAJ
Retired

Yes, we validated back in Sept 2001, we had to validate by Nov 2001 so that's all cool. We expected to be there long ago but things haven't worked out that way. Our visa expires Mar 2006 and we plan to fly out in Feb 2006.
Just be aware that this most likely represents your last chance to keep your visa. DIMIA will not be sympathetic if you let the deadline pass (even one day) without moving to Australia. And even if you do move to Australia, you must not be outside Australia when the visa expires (otherwise you'll have big problems getting back in).

Assuming it's a skilled visa, there have been lots of rule changes since 2000-01 (and you're 5 years older) and if you let this chance drop, you may well have little or no chance of getting a new visa from scratch.

Jeremy
Old Jan 1st 2006, 7:56 pm

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the replies folks, much appreciated.

Philip
Where in Brisbane are you going ?
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rossifumi
Where in Brisbane are you going ?
I have family in Cleveland and Victoria Point so ideally it will be there, all depends on where we find a rental. When we buy a place later on it will most likely be Cleveland as I hear good things about it and the train station is handy.

Phil

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.