Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Arrived and settled in NSW

Arrived and settled in NSW

Old Apr 7th 2005, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

aussiesoon will become famous soon enough
Smile Arrived and settled in NSW

It seems incredible, but we have been in Port Macquarie, NSW for two weeks. The visa process seems like a bad memory now. I thought we'd feedback our thoughts so far.
First of all we absolutely love it! I know we're in the honeymoon period, but we are stunned by the nature we can see from our house - dolphins, birds of prey, cockroaches ... okay, we're not so impressed by these. I expected to feel homesick straight away and I don't. I think that the fact that we lived in Lincoln for 13 years, with my family living in Suffolk has meant that we are used to being away and communicating through email and phone. It also helps that my sister-in-law and children are here, so we have instant friends, although we are trying to make freinds for ourselves as well.
Sister-in-law had found us somewhere to rent, showing us photos over the internet, before we arrived, so again, it has been easier not having to make rental decisions straight away. We had to buy furniture etc, but stayed with s-i-law until delivered.
I guess my advice to anyone packing to go at the moment would be:-
1. Pack t-shirts. Although the weather is warm, the shops are full of winter clothes - coats and boots.
2. Don't bother to bring bedlinen (we'd heard it was really expensive - it's not too bad) use the space for extra t-shirts instead.
3. Don't try to bring any mayo-type products (sandwich spread) through customs (they don't like it!).
4. When you arrive join something as soon as possible. We went to a local church and they were really welcoming.
5. Speak to your bank again and again before leaving the UK. Even though I'd spent 1 hour on the phone to them before we left, my credit card still didn't work on arrival. Also carry a few cards with you and know the pin numbers. Each card will have a limit of cash. Our transfer from the UK took ten days to come through and in the meantime we were drawing the cash limit out every day.
6. Many shops give large discounts for cash - they expect you to ask.
7. The most important thing - you have come 10000 miles. Life is not going to be the same. Embrace the changes and the new products; the similar products that don't work the same... this is all part of the adventure. Approach the change with an open mind and a positive attitude and when life gets you down, remember why you moved and go for a walk on the beach.

Hope you enjoy it as much as we are,

Rachel.
Old Apr 7th 2005, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

Aussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really nice
Default Re: Arrived and settled in NSW

Originally Posted by aussiesoon
It seems incredible, but we have been in Port Macquarie, NSW for two weeks. The visa process seems like a bad memory now. I thought we'd feedback our thoughts so far.
First of all we absolutely love it! I know we're in the honeymoon period, but we are stunned by the nature we can see from our house - dolphins, birds of prey, cockroaches ... okay, we're not so impressed by these. I expected to feel homesick straight away and I don't. I think that the fact that we lived in Lincoln for 13 years, with my family living in Suffolk has meant that we are used to being away and communicating through email and phone. It also helps that my sister-in-law and children are here, so we have instant friends, although we are trying to make freinds for ourselves as well.
Sister-in-law had found us somewhere to rent, showing us photos over the internet, before we arrived, so again, it has been easier not having to make rental decisions straight away. We had to buy furniture etc, but stayed with s-i-law until delivered.
I guess my advice to anyone packing to go at the moment would be:-
1. Pack t-shirts. Although the weather is warm, the shops are full of winter clothes - coats and boots.
2. Don't bother to bring bedlinen (we'd heard it was really expensive - it's not too bad) use the space for extra t-shirts instead.
3. Don't try to bring any mayo-type products (sandwich spread) through customs (they don't like it!).
4. When you arrive join something as soon as possible. We went to a local church and they were really welcoming.
5. Speak to your bank again and again before leaving the UK. Even though I'd spent 1 hour on the phone to them before we left, my credit card still didn't work on arrival. Also carry a few cards with you and know the pin numbers. Each card will have a limit of cash. Our transfer from the UK took ten days to come through and in the meantime we were drawing the cash limit out every day.
6. Many shops give large discounts for cash - they expect you to ask.
7. The most important thing - you have come 10000 miles. Life is not going to be the same. Embrace the changes and the new products; the similar products that don't work the same... this is all part of the adventure. Approach the change with an open mind and a positive attitude and when life gets you down, remember why you moved and go for a walk on the beach.

Hope you enjoy it as much as we are,

Rachel.

Excellent news, I'm pleased you're settling well, long may it continue!!

Thanks for the tips, i'll bear them in mind.
Old Apr 7th 2005, 9:03 am
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Arrived and settled in NSW

Glad to hear you are settling in fine and enjoying you life change. i agree with the @embrace the change@ aspect sometimes you can get bogged down with the thought of nothing being the same. at the tome all you want is the familiararity of home especially if having a down da, but remember, is having the same washing detergent really worth coming for. i think not. on my return i will try to always find a possitive to what appears to be a negative. you never know, emigrating could turn us all into fantastic people (here's hoping)
louise
Old Apr 7th 2005, 9:14 am
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arrived and settled in NSW

Congratulations - you made it and all sounds to be going well. Long may the honeymoon period last!

Keep the tips coming. . . . .

Binbird