Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Arrived in Perth - got 100 questions :(

Arrived in Perth - got 100 questions :(

Old Nov 27th 2006, 3:51 am
Forum Regular

MightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to behold
Default Arrived in Perth - got 100 questions :(

Hi there - arrived almost 10days ago and finally over the jetlag - both kids (2 & 6mo) still loaded with cold though Taking a bit of readjusting to the heat but we're getting there. Problem is - got no internet access (in libary just now) so feeling VERY isolated....we're in short term accommodation - currently dragging kids round hundreds of rentals - only 1 of which we want to apply for (and even then it's slightly more than we wanted to pay)...hopefully we'll get it..have broadband and then I can go back to doing all the research I like to do.
Feeling quite lonely as I'm in all day with the kids - can't join a nursery or toddler groups until we have our long term rental sorted so for now me and my 2yo are driving each other insane :-\

Any suggestions for how to settle would be MUCH appreciated...are there any other mums out there with young children??

Can't type much - the youngest is doing her nut and we're getting disapproving looks from others in the libary

Will pop online as much as poss but quite limited...hope this post doesn't sound pessimistic as I'm glad we're here (could be 2yrs..could be permanent - we're renting our house back in the UK just in case). Anyway..would love to hear from everyone - especially mums... I miss a good natter whilst my son plays with kids his own age :-/

Catch up soon xxx
Old Nov 27th 2006, 3:56 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arrived in Perth - got 100 questions :(

Originally Posted by MightyMouse
Hi there - arrived almost 10days ago and finally over the jetlag - both kids (2 & 6mo) still loaded with cold though Taking a bit of readjusting to the heat but we're getting there. Problem is - got no internet access (in libary just now) so feeling VERY isolated....we're in short term accommodation - currently dragging kids round hundreds of rentals - only 1 of which we want to apply for (and even then it's slightly more than we wanted to pay)...hopefully we'll get it..have broadband and then I can go back to doing all the research I like to do.
Feeling quite lonely as I'm in all day with the kids - can't join a nursery or toddler groups until we have our long term rental sorted so for now me and my 2yo are driving each other insane :-\

Any suggestions for how to settle would be MUCH appreciated...are there any other mums out there with young children??

Can't type much - the youngest is doing her nut and we're getting disapproving looks from others in the libary

Will pop online as much as poss but quite limited...hope this post doesn't sound pessimistic as I'm glad we're here (could be 2yrs..could be permanent - we're renting our house back in the UK just in case). Anyway..would love to hear from everyone - especially mums... I miss a good natter whilst my son plays with kids his own age :-/

Catch up soon xxx
If you have a laptop with you get yourself along to a Telstra shop and buy a dialup prepaid disk. yes its dialup but it does mean that you dont have to trapse to the library to use a computer.

Where abouts are you staying? Most suburbs have playgroups usually held in the community centres. Have a walk along to your local one.

My kids are a bit older but if you fancy a natter PM me and you could pop round for a cuppa if you are in the local area.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 4:16 am
Forum Regular

lucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of light

Whereabouts are you? I'm more than happy to meet up - have a 2 year old as well. We are in Northern suburbs (kingsley)
Old Nov 27th 2006, 4:44 am
Forum Regular

sid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nice

I'm not in Perth - which is unfortunate because I also have a 2yo and a baby! But just wanted to say that it does get much better than this. The first few weeks not having your own place and your own stuff is very unsettling - I also remember frantically feeding my 2yo arrowroot biscuits while trying to answer my emails in a public library and getting glared at!

Once you find yourself a home, get your shipment and get back into a routine (which let’s face it kids thrive on and keeps parents sane!) everything will just seem so much better you’ll wonder how you survived this patch…
Old Nov 27th 2006, 7:42 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

hiya and welcome!

It`s hard when you don`t have any family/friends here. If you`re in the southern suburbs give us a bell (9319-5569... my work number). Call me if you have any questions or want any help.

Cheers,

Gary Storm
Old Nov 27th 2006, 7:44 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormz
hiya and welcome!

It`s hard when you don`t have any family/friends here. If you`re in the southern suburbs give us a bell (9319-5569... my work number). Call me if you have any questions or want any help.

Cheers,

Gary Storm
Not a good idea to post your personal phone number. the mods will probably be along shortly to remove it.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 7:47 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Well if ppl want to waste their money calling me at work...

The poor lady is stuck for communication, so she needs a phone contact.

otherwise she can email me at [email protected] . Gmail has a great spam filter.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 7:49 am
Gutter Gob!!

Originally Posted by Stormz
Well if ppl want to waste their money calling me at work...

The poor lady is stuck for communication, so she needs a phone contact.

otherwise she can email me at [email protected] . Gmail has a great spam filter.
I wasn't disputing the sentiment, just the method of communicating it. I don't think the mods like it, they prefer it to be sent by PM.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 5:12 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Catch up soon xxx
Mightymouse...hang in there matey!!! It's very early days for you just yet......things will get easier, for sure........there's nothing worse than being unsettled and having nowhere to call home. Just gotta hold your breath and plough on! Contact some peeps on here in perth, sure some of them will be delighted to meet up and chat about things with you.......There is a coffee morning at Hilarys in the week sometime.......someone on here will know when it is....

Good luck with it all and chin up, cant be any worse than this damp, miserable hole they call Blighty!
Old Nov 27th 2006, 10:59 pm
Just Joined

TMC&co is an unknown quantity at this point

Catch up soon xxx
Hi there. Congrats on your move to Perth. Things do get better although slowly when you are @ home with the kids! I have been here 4 months, moved from Manchester, have a 2.5 yr old and next one due on the 10th Dec! I haven't met 'loads' of other mums as yet but have managed to find a toddler Gym in Scarborough and chatted to other mums there. We are in Wembley downs which isn't that far from Kingsley. Hoping to get my little boy to playgroup after Xmas. Would like to meet up (if I don't go into labour too soon). Post me and we could arrange something if you like!? I remember looking for rentals, nightmare with little one, felt so guilty shoving him in and out of car, we used to do viewings am and treat him to park/play in the aft! Or buy him small toy to play with in the car...how bad !! Hope to here from you. Tx
Old Nov 27th 2006, 11:24 pm
I'm watching YOU...

thpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond repute

Feeling quite lonely as I'm in all day with the kids - can't join a nursery or toddler groups until we have our long term rental sorted so for now me and my 2yo are driving each other insane :-

Catch up soon xxx
Hi

A group of us meet at The Dome @ Hillarys every Thursday from 12 to 12pm. Its mostly us girls but hubbies are welcome, some of us also have small children who are equally welcome.

Although as from Thursday 14th we will be meeting at Whitfords Nodes Park until the kids go back to school.

If you need any more info pm me

Sam
Old Nov 28th 2006, 4:12 am
Forum Regular

MarkO'G is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

We are in exactly the same position!!! We have a two and a half year old and 7 month old baby. I have started work already and because we do not move into our house until next week, we have no internet connection.

I have sent you a pm with my wife's mobile number. I know she would love to meet up as looking to get our toddler with kids similar age as well.

Cheers

Mark
Old Dec 8th 2006, 5:03 am
Forum Regular

MightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to behold

Hi all - finally back online (still at library though).
Just wanted to thank you all for your posts...they really do help - especially the kind offers of meeting up etc (which would be lovely!).

We move into our own rental on the 18th (Ocean Reef) so will have our internet access sorted soon after and I'll be able to post properly and hopefully arrange a coffee with some of you - the Hillary's meetup sounds great as well.

I've phoned round all the playgroups and found one I'd really like to join (helped that the girl running it is Scottish and lived in the town next to me..talk about a small world !). That doesn't start until end of January though so until then it's the park and soft ball centre for me - been told of a few good ones in the area - just a bit tricky with a 6mo as well but hey, it's my job

Will be in touch soon - I'm due home now as the youngest is due her feed (had an hour away from the sprogs and it's been FANTASTIC!)..even if it was to pop to the library to get Toddler Taming and The Contented Little Baby Book of Weaning

Hopefully see some of you soon
x
Old Dec 8th 2006, 6:58 am
BE Enthusiast

clougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I'm also in Kingsley and have 2 boys, 3 years old and 8weeks old. Send me a pm if either of you two ladies in the same boat want to meet up for a coffee or something?

Jo
Old Jan 16th 2007, 5:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by clougherty family
Hi,

I'm also in Kingsley and have 2 boys, 3 years old and 8weeks old. Send me a pm if either of you two ladies in the same boat want to meet up for a coffee or something?

Jo
Hi - finally in some kind of routine and now have internet access at home - wahey - so able to catch up with this thread. It seems there are a few of us mums with young kids who would like to meet up....not sure if those of you who replied will notice this (if not I'll pm you) but anyone in the Perth area who wants to meet up and let our kids run riot in a park somewhere post on here and we'll see if we can arrange something?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.