Arrived in Perth!! also advice required on cats settling in Perth

Arrived in Perth!! also advice required on cats settling in Perth

Old Jul 21st 2003, 7:26 am
Just Joined

mel&dave is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Arrived in Perth!! also advice required on cats settling in Perth

G'day guys,

Well myself & hubby (Dave) have just arrived from UK to Perth on the 10th July
In a week we have sorted out a house in Kensington which is 10mins drive from city centre moved in on 18th, great location then had to go and shop for bed/sette/etc... which took about 5 days but great cos all the sales are on!! Weve got a 4 bedroom house for $235 a week which is pretty good. It's abit big for us two though!! But also note to cat lovers, we had no problem renting the house even though we had a cat so don't let it put you off!!

The weather hasn't been too bad either to say it's winter, we've had a couple of raining days but it does get cold at night. It was down to 2 degrees the other night!!! Also the houses don't have central heating so you can imagine it gets pretty chilly, we've got plenty of electric heaters though!!
So far I haven't seen any strange insects, but will come when the weather gets hot. Dave has bought a book so we know what to expect!!

I decided to bring my cat over with me, selfish reasons I no but I couldn't bring myself to part with her (only cat lovers will understand this one!!). Well she arrived okay and phoned the quarantinee station when I arrived. I had previously made my mind up that I wouldn't see her while she was in quarantinee because I thought it would be too upsetting for both myself and cat (elsa) but despite this the staff there encouraged me to go and see her which I wish I hadn't. I found it really upsetting, even though I knew she was been looked after, it was really bad leaving her there and thoughts were going through my mind - like selfish Bitch!! But at the end of the day, I would have still been worried about her is someone would have kept her in the UK.
I'm not going to visit her again, but she is due home on the 4th August so not long to wait.
Would like some advice though from people who have brought their cats over and how have they settled? How long did you have to keep them in for? I'm really concerned with how she will settle in but I suppose with the weather been much cooler than the UK at the moment hopefully that will help. I've heard people say that they keep their cats in at night, but I don't no about your cats, but how on earth do you do that - I'd literally have to stand outside with a box of biscuits for ½hr!!!
Cheers
Mel & Dave
XX
Old Jul 21st 2003, 7:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Arrived in Perth!! also advice required on cats settling in Perth

Originally posted by mel&dave
G'day guys,

I've heard people say that they keep their cats in at night, but I don't no about your cats, but how on earth do you do that - I'd literally have to stand outside with a box of biscuits for ½hr!!!
Cheers
Mel & Dave
XX
MOST people here (Brisbane) seem to keep their cats in at night. I think it is because cats are a bit of a problem with indiginous wildlife.
Old Jul 21st 2003, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

delboy is an unknown quantity at this point

great post mel/dave really enjoyed reading
it glad to see you r settling nicley,about cats going out at night,i was told by someone that you can get a fine if cat is found to be out at night? i dont know if this is true but would be interested to know if is true,oh by the way how old is elsa and what breed is she, i am also a cat lover allison
Old Jul 21st 2003, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

salonit is on a distinguished road

Hi

Nice post! We are planning to be in Perth Next Year and I believe the best move anyone can make.
Cant give u much info on moving cats but u are brave to do so . I have a cousin who taught english in Thailand for a year and when she moved back brought her Thai cats back to the UK and had to go visiting in quarantine for about 6 months!!
anyway good luck....
Old Jul 21st 2003, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

sashimi is an unknown quantity at this point

I've heard people say that they keep their cats in at night, but I don't no about your cats, but how on earth do you do that - I'd literally have to stand outside with a box of biscuits for ½hr!!!
Cheers
Mel & Dave
XX
Glad to hear you've settled well and like it.

About the cat: I have two, and would be taking them both and am, therefore, worried about the damage to the wildlife and would not let them out at night. I suppose you still feed Elsa, even if she goes outside, so you could start getting her used to being fed at a specific time of the day when it gets towards evening, and I suppose getting her to come inside wouldn't be much of a problem then. I know mine would be in like a streak of lightning when they hear the tin. Love their grub. Might be worth a try.

Letting them out at night really is not a good idea in Oz, as several of the small indigenous hoppers are only mouse sized and are very easy prey for cats.

sashimi
Old Jul 21st 2003, 10:48 pm
port kennedy dec 2003

carolerussell is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Mel and Dave

So pleased you arrived safely and are sttling in. Did you manage to sell your house, - I phoned you to arrange to meet and you were showing someone around, sorry we never got chance to meet up. We are flying out on September 13th. Good luck.

Carole, Grant, Thorne, doncaster.
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 12:50 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Would like some advice though from people who have brought their cats over and how have they settled? How long did you have to keep them in for? I'm really concerned with how she will settle in but I suppose with the weather been much cooler than the UK at the moment hopefully that will help. I've heard people say that they keep their cats in at night, but I don't no about your cats, but how on earth do you do that - I'd literally have to stand outside with a box of biscuits for ½hr!!!
Cheers
Mel & Dave
XX
when I first arrived I kept mine in for a couple of week - depends on your cats.

To get them in before nightfall- feed them their dinner at a certain time of the day and stick to the "said" time religiously- say about 4 or 5 pm hours (a certain time which gives you a couple of hours before night falls). The cat (s) will soon learn to come back home at this "said"time by themselves - they seem to have an inbuilt clock when it comes to food. Feed them their breakfast very early morning - when they've finished eating lift their food bowls up, do not leave food down for them during the day - when dinner time comes around they will be hungry and come in at your given time.

Laws for cats differ throughout Aus. Some places there is a law in place for cats to be kept inside within the hours of darkness (this is usually if you're next to a reserve) - check with your council, most councils are on the net and the info is on their sites.

Most "responsible" cat owners keep their cats in at night.
Where I'm living - it's actually an offence to let your cat off your own property - it's the same law which applies to dogs - ie you must contain your cat on your own property. . You'll probably find this law applies to most places in Aus, but most people do not take any notice of these laws., and I've yet to see it being enforced by the council.

Check with your councils web site - just search within the web site with the word "cat, or cats" "Pets" .

Regarding weather - cats are one animal which adapts pretty well to hot or cold. My cats were from Sing (32c temp all year round) - I arrived in Newcastle (that's where I first lived here in Aus) in winter - when the temp was considerably a lot colder than what my cats were used to in Sing.
Cheers
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 1:37 am
Forum Regular

GengaKev is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm moving to Perth next year and I'm taking my fluffy Persian cat. Will he just melt?, has anyone taken a long haired cat?. I was going to give him a severe haircut before sending him over but my wife will kill me if I do.

Any ideas??
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 2:08 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by GengaKev
I'm moving to Perth next year and I'm taking my fluffy Persian cat. Will he just melt?, has anyone taken a long haired cat?. I was going to give him a severe haircut before sending him over but my wife will kill me if I do.

Any ideas??

See how your cat goes when you get here before you give him a shave lol. There are plenty of Persian cats in Aus (although most are probably bred here) .

My cats are short haired and come from a warm country... but one year here when we had a heatwave, a couple of years ago it reached the low 40 's and the house I was in at the time was boiling - it was like an oven , my cats were panting - I actually had to wipe them down with ice cubes, and I put one in a bath filled with cool water - the water level was only a couple of inches high - just to cool him down - but this was extreme weather and my then house was very poorly insulated - it was like like a greenhouse in the summer.

Anyway there are Persian cats in Aus - see how you go when you get here , cut his fur in the summer if he is hot (P.S watch if he's white cat - white cats are known to get skin cancer on their noses here - some people apply a sun block to the nose - ask the vet when you get here) But I do think cats are the most adaptable creatures on this earth beside rats - your cat will probably adapt before you do

Cheers
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 3:36 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Ceri,

He's grey so the nose should be OK, are the quarrentine pens air conditioned?. does anyone know.
We intend going in August so at least he'll only have his summer coat.
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

Hi Carole & Grant
House in still progressing slowly as these things do, just waiting for the searches to be completed for the 2nd time and hopefully will have a completion date no later than 2 weeks max (well so we are told)!!
Do you have a place sorted out, if so where are you going to base yourselves?
Life is great hear, so relaxing, mind you you need to be!! Ordered loads of electrical gear last week and some of the stuff didn't turn up and also sent wrong item, promised today but still had to pester them. Also you may be lucky to see the mail man about 4.00pm!!! Joys of life eh??
Anyway hope to meet up with you guys when you arrive, go for a couple of tin's!!!
Take care and keep in touch
Mel & Dave

Originally posted by carolerussell
Hi Mel and Dave

So pleased you arrived safely and are sttling in. Did you manage to sell your house, - I phoned you to arrange to meet and you were showing someone around, sorry we never got chance to meet up. We are flying out on September 13th. Good luck.

Carole, Grant, Thorne, doncaster.
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

Hi
The pen that my cat stayed (Perth) in didn't have air condition but had a heated bed for her... bless!! They also have a view of outside as they have wire on the outside of the cage and is on 2 levels so they can jump up on top and sunbath!! But I suppose she doesn't need it in this weather, down to 2 degrees again tonight, it's bloody freezing!!! Where are you planning to go in Oz?
Hope this helps

Originally posted by GengaKev
Thanks Ceri,

He's grey so the nose should be OK, are the quarrentine pens air conditioned?. does anyone know.
We intend going in August so at least he'll only have his summer coat.
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 4:27 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

I bought my cats to! I also went to see them at Byford but then it was about 40c and my cats still had their winter coats!! Could hardly see the cats in their kennels as it was all full of fur!

I kept them both indoors for about a weeks to get used to their surroundings, they have adapted well and seem to think wehave only moved a few streets away!!!!
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

Mel/Dave,

We're also heading for Perth, thanks for the info regarding the pens. Our cat doesn't go outside the garden anyway so he'll be fine, the only danger being him falling in the pool!