Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Arrived in Melly

Arrived in Melly

Old Jun 20th 2010, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

mpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud of
Default Re: Arrived in Melly

Thanks ProudVIC, very nice description. So out of the whole 'winter discussion' four points can be drawn

1. The amount of chill a person feels at '10 degree Celcius' when he comes to Melbourne depends on his previous location from where he migrated. If he came from near the equator he will always freeze here, if he came from near the north pole, he always find it plesant.

2. The amount of chill a person feels depends his/her muscular structure, bone density and body heat which biologically varies from person to person.

3. The amount of chill a person feels depends upon whether he's got heating in his house/car AND how much time he spends outdoors.

4. The amount of chill a peson feels depends on how many cigarettes he smokes and whiskey he drinks.

** Cheers **
Old Jun 20th 2010, 10:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ProudVIC
Hello everyone. I am Australian and thought I'd join up as I have a lot of local knowledge about the country that I can share with the members on here. I hope I can help a lot of you out with your questions and queries.

Compared to most of Europe, winters in Melbourne are pretty tame. I live in the ranges NW of Melbourne at 500m above sea level and winters are pretty cold here, getting very close in temperature to some of the milder parts of England and occasional snowfalls, particularly up higher at 1000m asl at the top of the local mountain. We average between 8C and 9C for maximum temps in July and it is pretty wet from May-December. Wind chill is very bad on quite a few days also.

I work in Melbourne and the contrast between there and here is pretty stark. Even in the middle of winter you get some days where you feel a bit warm wearing a jumper. Whilst Melbourne can get spells of low teens maximum temps and even as low as high single figures on some days the average maximum of around 14C for the winter is very mild compared to England.

We are at 37 degrees latitude here and the southern hemisphere equivalent of southern Spain, southern Turkey, northern Iran and San Francisco. UK's latitude of 50 degrees to around 60 degrees is a major contributor to it being a pretty cold place and cool in summer. Continental Europe has a continental climate so winters can be very cold where as in Victoria, particularly on and south of the Great Dividing range it is an oceanic climate and moderated by the proximity of the sea, similar to England in that respect.

A lot of people in Melbourne will rug up in heavy coats, scarves and beanies when the temperature is in the low to mid teens which I have always found slightly amusing personally because where I live it really is cold by Australian standards and I never wear more than a jumper.

I wouldn't worry about Melbourne's winter climate if I was moving from England, it is quite pleasant most of the time. It is very cloudy and drizzly though and can be very drab and wear on you in that way. The major feature of the climate here is the changeability, it can take you by surprise sometimes, even for the locals. It does snow occasionally in the Dandenong Ranges which is just 40 to 50km from the city centre.
I know Macedon really well... had friends and the Wifes Aussie relations live around that area from Bullangarook through to Romsey and beyond..(Mostly Ex Sunbury "Hill" Nurses so quite a while ago.)..Nice part of the world... how the Mushrooms this year Not that I partake, It must be funny seeing lots of Melburnians turning up and disappearing into the woods at Mushy time.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

ProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond repute

There have been a few mushrooms pop up, seems to be a bit less than most years though. They are very common in the pine plantations around here, you see heaps of people there mushrooming.

You'd have to be a real expert though and know what you're doing as so many of them are poisonous.