Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Arrived in the Hills District

Arrived in the Hills District

Old May 20th 2007, 11:56 am
Just Joined

Steven and Jackie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Arrived in the Hills District

We've recently arrived in the Hills District in Sydney. We,ve rented a nice house in West Pennant Hills and the whole area seems really nice and family friendly. Its also not as far from Sydney CBD as some seem to think. The bus service is good if you avoid peak times.

My two kids are also settling fine. My ten year old son has settled in school and my 3 year old princess is doing great in pre-school.

All in all things are going well but the only problem is that my wife especially is finding making friends here quite difficult and finds the Australian mums are not as friendly as we were expecting. Everyone is polite enough but you dont seem to get any further than this. My wife actually gets quite upset when she goes to pick up my son from school and no-one speaks to her.

Wondering if anyone has got any advice and if there are any ladies meet ups in this area. this is the only fly in the ointment for us as everything else is going swimmingly.
Old May 20th 2007, 12:49 pm
Living the dream!

crystal113 has much to be proud ofcrystal113 has much to be proud ofcrystal113 has much to be proud ofcrystal113 has much to be proud ofcrystal113 has much to be proud ofcrystal113 has much to be proud ofcrystal113 has much to be proud ofcrystal113 has much to be proud ofcrystal113 has much to be proud ofcrystal113 has much to be proud ofcrystal113 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Arrived in the Hills District

I only wish I lived near you (couple of states over - sorry) as I am in the same boat - hoped to meet friends at the school but most of them sit in their cars with the aircon on waiting for the little darlings to go to them. I know how she feels!!
Old May 20th 2007, 12:50 pm
Tired but Happy

poshrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud of

Hi welcome to the hills i am in glenwood just the other side of castle hill so if your wife would like to meet up for a coffee i have a 3 year old darling son. I have been here 16mths but have not had much problem with friends as i attned a playgroup. Myself and my friend often visit a play area called Lollipops which is a great playarea for little ones and goes up to 12 yrs so you could always take your older one on weekends they have a cafe which serves food too. Like i say your wife is more than welcome to join us i could meet her and take her there so she doesn't get lost will pm you with my home phone and if she wants to meet up just get her to give me a call.

Poshrice
Old May 20th 2007, 8:03 pm
Lisa

LisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to all

We should be moving out that way in August, we have 10& 13 yr old girls. Would love to drop you a line then.
Old May 20th 2007, 10:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

There is a group of mums that meet up on the first tuesday of every month, look out for us in the meet ups section. We are from various North Shore/ Northern beaches/ hills areas. The next meet will be 5th June, but I'm not sure where yet, just keep an eye out and a thread should start in the meet ups in the next couple of days. Most kids are at school, but there are a couple of us that take toddlers along. I live in Wahroonga, not far from you, and I find the same with the mums at school, although 6 months in it is getting better. My children are 13, 9, 8 and 3. If you want to meet, send me a PM.
Carolyn.
Old May 21st 2007, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Steven and Jackie

I'm glad you are settling in well - it's tough that making friends thing is though - I can relate COMPLETELY with your experience with mums at school!!!

I'm in the Hills district too and would love to meet you for coffee Jackie. I have sent you a PM with my number.

Take care, hope to meet you soon

Love

Rudi
x
Old May 21st 2007, 1:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Jackie

I forgot to say - there is a weekend meet next weekend for those of us who usually come to the "First Tuesday Club" as we are generally known!! You are welcome to join us there with your family.

Details are here - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=450052

Rudi
x
Old May 21st 2007, 2:10 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rudi
Hi Steven and Jackie

I'm glad you are settling in well - it's tough that making friends thing is though - I can relate COMPLETELY with your experience with mums at school!!!

I'm in the Hills district too and would love to meet you for coffee Jackie. I have sent you a PM with my number.

Take care, hope to meet you soon

Love

Rudi
x

Hi Rudi!

Long time no speak - we were supposed to go out just after Christmas werent we - what happened to that ?? !! We'll def have to arrange something.

Steve & Jackie

I'm a little further out in Richmond (about 30-40 mins away) but I'd happily come for a drive and a meet if you fancy it Maybe all of us could get together - I'll check out that meet that Rudi has mentioned too.

We've been here for 13 months and have a 7 year old daughter (who loves it here!).

Chat soon

Rach xxxx
Old May 21st 2007, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Rach

It's that crazy little thing called time that happened!!!! Since Christmas I have been flat out!! Amongst other things I've done 5 weeks teaching practice as part of my teaching degree.......I only have 1 assignment to go YEAHY!!!!

It would be great to meet up sometime................when are you free?!

Rudi
x

Originally Posted by Mrs Jackaroo
Hi Rudi!

Long time no speak - we were supposed to go out just after Christmas werent we - what happened to that ?? !! We'll def have to arrange something.

Steve & Jackie

I'm a little further out in Richmond (about 30-40 mins away) but I'd happily come for a drive and a meet if you fancy it Maybe all of us could get together - I'll check out that meet that Rudi has mentioned too.

We've been here for 13 months and have a 7 year old daughter (who loves it here!).

Chat soon

Rach xxxx
Old May 22nd 2007, 4:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud of

Hi there and welcome to the Hills

Glad you've settled in and are enjoying all that this great part of Sydney has to offer! As a mum to three (now older) kids, I'd advise joining in some of the groups at the school if you want to meet other parents. Go along to the P and F meetings, new parents coffee mornings etc if your school has them. It can be daunting for all new parents at first, but you generally just find some likeminded souls if you stick around for a chat after the morning or afternoon bell.

Join a local playgroup if you have pre-schoolers and take up the offer to meet with the others here- what a great idea!!