Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Arrived in Australia

Arrived in Australia

Old Sep 12th 2004, 12:20 am
Happy mum of 2 Aussies

Wanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to behold
Default Arrived in Australia

Hi all,

Well, after a couple of long years, I have made my final move to Oz. I landed in Sydney on Friday morning, and then took another flight up here to Brisbane. There's not much I can tell you yet, as I've only been here a couple of days and I'm staying with my brother, but please feel free to ask any questions - I'm always willing to find out answers for you if I can.

Just wanted to share a part of the experience......

The flight from Sydney to Brisbane was in the morning, and for the entire flight I sat by the window of the aircraft looking down at one endless stretch of white sandy beaches and blue water, broken up every now and then a small town. It was absolutely beautiful. The feeling that struck me more than anything was how absolutely priveleged I feel to be able to live here.

There are so many people I met who would love to be able to do what I am doing and either can't because of circumstances, or wont because they lack the courage to make the big step. To all of you who have the visas, or are sure to get them soon - Damn - aren't we lucky??

Oh - and just a short note - going car shopping today, saw my first GIANT spider yesterday (under a chest of drawers in the garage that I was moving), and I've got 2 job interviews next week. Wish me luck!

W.
Old Sep 12th 2004, 2:20 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arrived in Australia

welcome to Australia

Know exactly what you mean about feeling priviledged/lucky. Chris and I are still saying that at least once a week and we've been here over 4 months now.

Good luck with the job interviews next week
Old Sep 12th 2004, 3:31 am
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

Good luck with the interviews...

(the spiders are impressive aren't they! it's the small ones you have to worry about, apparently!)
Old Sep 12th 2004, 4:02 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya! Looking forward to seeing you again Whereabouts in Brissie are you?

And you are so right - always good to remember that we are the lucky ones, getting this chance.
Old Sep 12th 2004, 5:45 am
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Hiya Wonderlust,

I flew out to Brisbane at the end of July and spent 2 weeks driving around, including down to Sydney along the Pacific Highway and then back up along the New England Highway. It’s a good way to see the coast.

There were allot of nice places to stop, with good sandy beaches. I particularly liked Byron bay, a place a lady from Perth had advised me to visit. It was relaxing and only had one guy attacked by a shark whilst I was there!!

I went back out at the beginning of September to Sydney with my wife & baby to validate her Visa and it took all of 2 day’s for her to decide that she wonted to stay. Unfortunately we can’t settle at the moment, even though we have the visas, but in a years time we will make the move.

I know several people at work who would move if they could and 3 others who have moved with work.
If only they could remember to contact me once they’ve made the move.

Spider wise I didn’t see a thing, but then again I wasn’t looking under draws in the garage. I have spiders under mine in the UK!

I think a car is the best thing you can buy, it will allow you to get out & about, seeing the place. I would warn you though that Oz is big.
What car are you going to look at?

I felt at home when in Oz. Even liked the fish and chips without vinigar.
I hope you still love it.

Bye
Mark
Old Sep 12th 2004, 8:50 am
Happy mum of 2 Aussies

Wanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Hiya! Looking forward to seeing you again Whereabouts in Brissie are you?

And you are so right - always good to remember that we are the lucky ones, getting this chance.

Hi all,

To answer a couple of questions - I am currently staying with my brother in Kelvin Grove,Brisbane, but they are moving the weekend after next to their brand new home in Tallebudgera Valley - Gold Coast, and I'll be living with them till I get a job sorted and get a place of my own. I hope to be living on the South side of Brisbane eventually.

Car - I've got my heart set on a Toyota Rav 4, but I'll have to wait and see what happens. There's a place in Brisbane they call the 'Magic Mile' in Moorooka, which is long road just packed with dealerships. Will go and see what I can find there.

Cheers,and see ya soon Polly.

W.
Old Sep 12th 2004, 10:16 am
Deb

Deb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond repute

Oh - and just a short note - going car shopping today, saw my first GIANT spider yesterday (under a chest of drawers in the garage that I was moving), and I've got 2 job interviews next week. Wish me luck!

W. [/QUOTE]

Hi Polly,

Sounds like a good start,
Our application is in the hands of DIMIA so we are just sitting waiting with everything crossed..

Hope everything goes great and good luck with the interviews

Deb
Old Sep 12th 2004, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Great to hear that you are finally out here Wanderlust. That must be most people from our Brighton meet ups now!

Congratulations and I hope it all goes well for you.
Old Sep 12th 2004, 1:19 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tinaj
That must be most people from our Brighton meet ups now!
Just one major forum member missing Lets hope you can make it out to join us for good before too long, when all the problems are sorted, mate
Old Sep 12th 2004, 8:16 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Arrived in Australia

Originally Posted by Wanderlust
I hope to be living on the South side of Brisbane eventually.
My favourite part of this area of S.E. Qld is around Mt Tambourine near the foot of the Lamington Plateau. It's a bit of a commute to Brissie, but is a very beautiful area.

Re: Spiders.

The big ones that enter people's houses are usually Huntsmans. They're not poisonous, but are known to bite, though only if you annoy them!

Redbacks enter houses as well and are a lot smaller, and a lot more dangerous, though I think I'm right in saying that the small males are the only ones which bite. Best avoid them completely.