British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Arrived on 5th October in Brisbane (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/arrived-5th-october-brisbane-260255/)

andrew63 Oct 14th 2004 11:40 pm

Arrived on 5th October in Brisbane

I wish I could say it was plain sailing and easy but not for us!
Our route, Dublin, Frankfurt, Singapore (4 days) and then Brisbane. Flew with Singapore Airlines.
I have flown with Singapore many times alone but this flight was not so good, had really crumby seats at the back by the galley so it was very noisy and there were very few programmes on the entertainment systems for the kids. However, we were all very positive and made the most of it.
Most of you will fly direct and will not need to go to Frankfurt so you are lucky. That airport is abysmal, no sign posts and very unhelpful staff. We had to leave the airport and re-check in as we could find the internal transfer counter etc.
We managed to get a 35 Kg allowance for all 5 of us (2 adults and 3 kids) even though we were flying economy on a temporary (457, 3 yr) visa. 5 x 35 = 165 and we took 195 Kg (9 suitcases) so all went well! We also took two car seats and a push chair.
However, when we got to Singapore, only the push chair, car seats and 1 case made it! 8 suitcases went missing!! Fortunately, I took out insurance (no mean feat!).
Singapore was lovely! Went sightseeing and shopping!
Took the lorry/boat (duck boat) for a drive and cruise and the damn thing crashed in the middle of the open sea. Right where my 3-year old was sitting, with another sightseeing boat. Very scary time. Donned life jackets but limped back to shore. Was not our drivers fault.
When we left Singapore 4 days later, they had recovered 7 more suitcases, battered and bruised (cases as well as us) and off we went Brisbane bound!!
Arrived here on the 5th. Staying at the Brisbane Holiday Village which is very nice!! Kids started school today (Thursday 14th) in Chisholm College and St Matthews. Opened bank accounts, got credit cards, ATM cards and mortgage arranged, bought a house in Tanah Merah, moving in on the 20th November if all goes well. Looking for an extension to be built if there are any builders out there - also, pool fencing (mandatory).
I start work on Monday so it’s back to the rat race (kind of).
No regrets, absolutely fantastic, weather, people, roads, value for money, etc. Still missing one suitcase and the PS2 I bought in Singapore stopped working after 3 plays but I spoke to the guys on the phone today and they told me they will replace when I send it over via a friend of mine.
Anyone out there close to Tanah Merah?
Managed to book the Brisbane Holiday Village for another few weeks until 21 November so looking good!!
Happy days!
Food is good, shopping is great, everything seems cheap (compared to Ireland)

Andrew & Noeleen (+kids of course) :D :beer: :p :zzz:

mlbonner Oct 14th 2004 11:56 pm

Re: Arrived on 5th October in Brisbane

Wow, what a journey you all had. Glad to hear everyone was okay after your boat crash!

You guys are a bit far south of the river for me, though if Noeleen fancies it, we're having a girlie night tonight. 7.30pm @ Gilhooleys in the city :)

elksa Oct 15th 2004 9:56 am

Originally Posted by andrew63
I wish I could say it was plain sailing and easy but not for us!
Our route, Dublin, Frankfurt, Singapore (4 days) and then Brisbane. Flew with Singapore Airlines.
I have flown with Singapore many times alone but this flight was not so good, had really crumby seats at the back by the galley so it was very noisy and there were very few programmes on the entertainment systems for the kids. However, we were all very positive and made the most of it.
Most of you will fly direct and will not need to go to Frankfurt so you are lucky. That airport is abysmal, no sign posts and very unhelpful staff. We had to leave the airport and re-check in as we could find the internal transfer counter etc.
We managed to get a 35 Kg allowance for all 5 of us (2 adults and 3 kids) even though we were flying economy on a temporary (457, 3 yr) visa. 5 x 35 = 165 and we took 195 Kg (9 suitcases) so all went well! We also took two car seats and a push chair.
However, when we got to Singapore, only the push chair, car seats and 1 case made it! 8 suitcases went missing!! Fortunately, I took out insurance (no mean feat!).
Singapore was lovely! Went sightseeing and shopping!
Took the lorry/boat (duck boat) for a drive and cruise and the damn thing crashed in the middle of the open sea. Right where my 3-year old was sitting, with another sightseeing boat. Very scary time. Donned life jackets but limped back to shore. Was not our drivers fault.
When we left Singapore 4 days later, they had recovered 7 more suitcases, battered and bruised (cases as well as us) and off we went Brisbane bound!!
Arrived here on the 5th. Staying at the Brisbane Holiday Village which is very nice!! Kids started school today (Thursday 14th) in Chisholm College and St Matthews. Opened bank accounts, got credit cards, ATM cards and mortgage arranged, bought a house in Tanah Merah, moving in on the 20th November if all goes well. Looking for an extension to be built if there are any builders out there - also, pool fencing (mandatory).
I start work on Monday so it’s back to the rat race (kind of).
No regrets, absolutely fantastic, weather, people, roads, value for money, etc. Still missing one suitcase and the PS2 I bought in Singapore stopped working after 3 plays but I spoke to the guys on the phone today and they told me they will replace when I send it over via a friend of mine.
Anyone out there close to Tanah Merah?
Managed to book the Brisbane Holiday Village for another few weeks until 21 November so looking good!!
Happy days!
Food is good, shopping is great, everything seems cheap (compared to Ireland)

Andrew & Noeleen (+kids of course) :D :beer: :p :zzz:

Sounds like a trip that you laugh about now but probably wasn't at the time. Glad to hear your all settling in well.

Brisbane Holiday Village sounds like a nice place. Are they on the web? would be interested in possibly staying there myself when we move out next year.

Thanks.

irishmolly Oct 15th 2004 11:13 pm

Glad you all arrived safe and sound - look us up when you get a chance.

Danny & Michele.

andrew63 Oct 18th 2004 5:23 am

Originally Posted by elksa
Sounds like a trip that you laugh about now but probably wasn't at the time. Glad to hear your all settling in well.

Brisbane Holiday Village sounds like a nice place. Are they on the web? would be interested in possibly staying there myself when we move out next year.

Thanks.

Don't think they have a web site but this link works:

http://www.queenslandholidays.com.au...7943/index.cfm
It's a great place but South of the City

Andrew

andrew63 Oct 18th 2004 5:25 am

Originally Posted by mlbonner
Wow, what a journey you all had. Glad to hear everyone was okay after your boat crash!

You guys are a bit far south of the river for me, though if Noeleen fancies it, we're having a girlie night tonight. 7.30pm @ Gilhooleys in the city :)

Missed that! maybe next time!
Did it go well??

Noeleen

andrew63 Oct 18th 2004 5:27 am

Originally Posted by irishmolly
Glad you all arrived safe and sound - look us up when you get a chance.

Danny & Michele.

Hi guys!
Of course!
Where abouts are you? Do this by PM or email.
Funny, found the rain depressing in Ireland but even the rain is better here!

Andrew

mlbonner Oct 18th 2004 5:29 am

Originally Posted by andrew63
Missed that! maybe next time!
Did it go well??

Noeleen

Have a look :)
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=260354

Another one on the 29th Oct in Chermside (might be a bit far for you??) and we'll arrange something else before Christmas in the city as well :D