Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Arrived 28th May do we need to do a tax return?

Arrived 28th May do we need to do a tax return?

Old Jun 26th 2007, 11:13 am
In my own little world!

belleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to behold
Default Arrived 28th May do we need to do a tax return?

Hi everyone, we arrived here on the 28th May and so far we are loving it, we will do an update soon, but we were wondering do we need to do a tax return this year, neither of us are working yet, but have TFN's, we have brought money into the country etc so do we need to lodge one? Everything is so different in this country but we are getting to grips with things bit by bit, plus the rain is making us scots feel so at home!!! So any help on this tax thing would be so appreciated.
Clairex
Old Jun 26th 2007, 11:16 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arrived 28th May do we need to do a tax return?

You won't have to do one

I didn't do one my first year and I arrived in March
Old Jun 26th 2007, 11:18 am
In my own little world!

belleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to behold
Talking Re: Arrived 28th May do we need to do a tax return?

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
You won't have to do one

Thank god for that!! And thanks for getting back to me so quickly.
Clairex
Old Jun 26th 2007, 11:19 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by belleandscone
Thank god for that!! And thanks for getting back to me so quickly.
Clairex
No worries. You can phone the tax office up and they should confirm that. The tax year ends at the end of June or something, so if you haven't worked, then you have nothing to fill in
Old Jun 26th 2007, 11:22 am
Mad Nurse now in NSW

eljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of light

Did you fill in a P85 in the uk and send it off with your p45? If not you could be loosing out on a lot of tax Its not often the sods give us some tax back.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/p85.pdf

Justin
Old Jun 26th 2007, 11:42 am
In my own little world!

Talking Re: Arrived 28th May do we need to do a tax return?

Originally Posted by eljustino
Did you fill in a P85 in the uk and send it off with your p45? If not you could be loosing out on a lot of tax Its not often the sods give us some tax back.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/p85.pdf

Justin
Yes I have sent it but not with my P45, should I fill out another one and send it with our P45? or just send the P45 with a letter. Sorry for the questions but after sorting everything out over the last 2-3 months my heads minced!
Clairex
Old Jun 26th 2007, 12:43 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

You won't have to do one

We arrived in jan and did one and got back loads$$$$$$$$$$ chaching $$$$$$$$$
Old Jun 26th 2007, 12:44 pm
Take it easy

Originally Posted by Perthforme
We arrived in jan and did one and got back loads$$$$$$$$$$ chaching $$$$$$$$$
Yeah, my wife got $2500 and she arrived in Jan

But if you haven't worked, then there's no point in doing a tax return
Old Jun 26th 2007, 1:18 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah but , do tell centerlink and ato that one of you had not worked !
Old Jun 26th 2007, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

Macquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really nice

Hi everyone, we arrived here on the 28th May and so far we are loving it, we will do an update soon, but we were wondering do we need to do a tax return this year, neither of us are working yet, but have TFN's, we have brought money into the country etc so do we need to lodge one? Everything is so different in this country but we are getting to grips with things bit by bit, plus the rain is making us scots feel so at home!!! So any help on this tax thing would be so appreciated.
Clairex
If you have children you may be entitled to Family Tax Benefit part A and/or B so I would be claiming that.

I thought if you were a tax resident it was compulsory to fill in a tax form - I may be wrong? Maybe worth a phone call to check rather than risk a fine.

Julie
Old Jun 27th 2007, 1:45 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Clairex
I think the answer is "yes". *We* certainly had to despite being retired.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 2:23 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

It's not just about working, its any sort of income. so if you have earnt any interest on funds either here or in the UK, then they have to be declared.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 2:29 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with previous 2 posters...if you arrived on 28th May you will only be entitled to 1 months tax free allowance (its not like in the UK where you get the full allowance regardless of how many months of the year you were resident).

In that case if you deposited a large amount of funds, say from a home sale you may have earned interest over and above the allowance...in which case I would say you'd have to do a tax return as you would owe something.
Old Jun 30th 2007, 1:05 pm
In my own little world!

Smile Re: Arrived 28th May do we need to do a tax return?

Originally Posted by bcworld
Agree with previous 2 posters...if you arrived on 28th May you will only be entitled to 1 months tax free allowance (its not like in the UK where you get the full allowance regardless of how many months of the year you were resident).

In that case if you deposited a large amount of funds, say from a home sale you may have earned interest over and above the allowance...in which case I would say you'd have to do a tax return as you would owe something.
I will give them a call, but the money we transfered over we didnt gain any interest as it was ANZ Access acount wich doesnt give you any interest. Dont want to get on the wrong side after being in the country only a month!
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

zukiann is an unknown quantity at this point

Clairex
how was it living in carina? thats where i paln to live or camp hill. got a job in princess alexandra hosp. in wooloongabba. how far is is from carina by bus or by car. is transport by bus okay and accessible? pls let me know. ill be coming over in october07.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.