British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Arrive Oz 8pm Sunday, 4 interviews on Monday! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/arrive-oz-8pm-sunday-4-interviews-monday-402461/)

northerner Oct 16th 2006 9:01 am

Arrive Oz 8pm Sunday, 4 interviews on Monday!

Blimey! We land in Sydney around 8pm on Sunday 29th Oct (less than 2 weeks :eek: ), just had a call from agency wanting to arrange 4 interviews with companies who are 'very interested' in me on the Monday!!! :D:D

Took deep breath and said 'yep, no problem'. :scared:

Baptism of fire or what??!! Got an email from another company who want to arrange an interview too, so it's all sounding good - if a little stressful!!!

So! What's the best way to get around Sydney on my first day to get to the interviews? Hire car? Public transport?

Graham :)

Downies Oct 16th 2006 9:10 am

Re: Arrive Oz 8pm Sunday, 4 interviews on Monday!

Originally Posted by northerner
Blimey! We land in Sydney around 8pm on Sunday 29th Oct (less than 2 weeks :eek: ), just had a call from agency wanting to arrange 4 interviews with companies who are 'very interested' in me on the Monday!!! :D:D

Baptism of fire or what??!! Got an email from another company who want to arrange an interview too, so it's all sounding good - if a little stressful!!!

So! What's the best way to get around Sydney on my first day to get to the interviews? Hire car? Public transport?

Things are looking great for you and yours!! From getting visa through you seem to be going full steam ahead - just wishing you all the best for when you land.

Personally - if not feeling too skint I would look into hiring taxis or a car with driver for the day as looking at five appointments and let the local driver help you out - or ask the agents if they recommend a person/company who will do this and what would be a good up-front price.

Dont need to stress out with A-Z (equivelant) as well as doing interviews 12+ hours after you land from long-haul flight.

Looking forward to seeing update on you trying to decide which job to choose!

Paula

iPom Oct 16th 2006 10:00 am

I agree - go by cab. Hard enough getting around an unknown city in the first place, not including jetlag!
It's worth it, the cash will be back in your mit with a job offer in no time, I hope.

Baptism of fire? You bought it on yourself with that avatar! Good luck and let us know how you get on.

:)

lang81 Oct 16th 2006 10:22 am

Four interviews is good going. What is it you do for a living ?

Originally Posted by iPom
I agree - go by cab. Hard enough getting around an unknown city in the first place, not including jetlag!
It's worth it, the cash will be back in your mit with a job offer in no time, I hope.

Baptism of fire? You bought it on yourself with that avatar! Good luck and let us know how you get on.

christinabell Oct 16th 2006 10:36 am

Hey well done on the interviews ! As far as getting around Sydney goes I would definately say by cab. Sometimes getting from one side of the city to the other can be a major hassle due to traffic. Not only that, parking is a bit of a nightmare and quite costly too.

Siren & Brian Oct 16th 2006 11:02 am

Limo sounds good to me. Go the taxi route, cheaper than parking fees I can assure you.

samnsam Oct 16th 2006 1:26 pm

My god, you'll be so tired I suggest you get someone to just drag you there. Good Luck with the interviews.
Sam x. :zzz:

northerner Oct 16th 2006 2:15 pm

LOL Thanks everyone - yes cab sounds like the best option, better fill my wallet up at the airport :D

I don't reckon jetlag should be a problem - more the fact that I'll feel a bit bewildered? We land at a nice time Sunday evening so it'll be to our temporary pad in Manly and to bed!! :zzz: :zzz:

Lang81 - I am a structural engineer and yes there seems to be alot of interest which is very comforting! Hopefully I'll get something which I like - will definitely tell them that I can't start for a couple of weeks though! Want to chill out for a bit first before starting work! :)

Graham

northerner Oct 16th 2006 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by iPom
Baptism of fire? You bought it on yourself with that avatar!

:D:D

northerner Oct 16th 2006 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by Downies
Things are looking great for you and yours!! From getting visa through you seem to be going full steam ahead - just wishing you all the best for when you land.

Personally - if not feeling too skint I would look into hiring taxis or a car with driver for the day as looking at five appointments and let the local driver help you out - or ask the agents if they recommend a person/company who will do this and what would be a good up-front price.

Dont need to stress out with A-Z (equivelant) as well as doing interviews 12+ hours after you land from long-haul flight.

Looking forward to seeing update on you trying to decide which job to choose!

Paula

Hi Paula,

Yes it's certainly been full steam ahead since getting the visa (even before getting the visa LOL!). We're either really organised or completely stupid to have everything happening at the same time :D:D

Graham

Ian & Sharon Oct 16th 2006 8:53 pm

Good luck with everything. ;)

Ian

mark 'n' joe Oct 16th 2006 9:12 pm

Wow great news, hope all goes well with the interviews. Look forward to your update.

Safe journey

Joex