British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Arrive Brisbane on the 20th... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/arrive-brisbane-20th-734704/)

weezypenguin Oct 5th 2011 1:52 pm

Arrive Brisbane on the 20th...

Hi Everyone
So the big day draws nearer.
I know what moving to a new country etc is like because i moved from Manchester to Canada 8 years ago.
I know what it is like to be all of a sudden in a country which has different rules etc.
My main problem was what i needed to do and where to go.
No one tells you all this.
So can anyone give me a list of got to do things (not entertainment) but things like get drivers license changed over, register for Medicare.
Get a social insurance number.
There is nothing harder tan being a 43 year old family man that has in the contaxt of things just appeared.
I look forward to your replies etc

Icecube Oct 5th 2011 9:11 pm

Re: Arrive Brisbane on the 20th...

Originally Posted by weezypenguin (Post 9658945)
Hi Everyone
So the big day draws nearer.
I know what moving to a new country etc is like because i moved from Manchester to Canada 8 years ago.
I know what it is like to be all of a sudden in a country which has different rules etc.
My main problem was what i needed to do and where to go.
No one tells you all this.
So can anyone give me a list of got to do things (not entertainment) but things like get drivers license changed over, register for Medicare.
Get a social insurance number.
There is nothing harder tan being a 43 year old family man that has in the contaxt of things just appeared.
I look forward to your replies etc

I think a TFN and a bank account would be a good start...

Rudi Oct 5th 2011 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by Icecube (Post 9659883)
I think a TFN and a bank account would be a good start...

What is social insurance???!!!! I don't think I have that!? I've been here for 9 years and never heard of it! Do I need it?!

Love

Rudi
x

PunkDebutante Oct 5th 2011 11:30 pm

I would get your bank account, TFN and medicare taken care of. Don't know where you are going to be living but there is a Medicare office in Indooroopilly shopping centre that is open on Saturday mornings. You can apply for your TFN online once you arrive. You have three months to get your drivers licence changed over. You can do it in a morning quite easily. There is an office in Spring Hill which is handy if you are working in the CBD. You get a temp paper licence and the real one arrives about 2 weeks after your appointment.

roaringmouse Oct 6th 2011 5:36 am

Originally Posted by PunkDebutante (Post 9660040)
You have three months to get your drivers licence changed over.

If your visa is permanent - no licence change necessary for a temporary visa.

Japonica Oct 6th 2011 6:08 am

Originally Posted by Rudi (Post 9660029)
What is social insurance???!!!! I don't think I have that!? I've been here for 9 years and never heard of it! Do I need it?!

Love

Rudi
x

Social insurance is the Canadian equivalent of the TFN. So, nope, you don't need it unless you emigrate to Canada.

Rudi Oct 6th 2011 7:00 am

Originally Posted by Japonica (Post 9660475)
Social insurance is the Canadian equivalent of the TFN. So, nope, you don't need it unless you emigrate to Canada.

Ah ha!!!! Thank you for that!! PHEW!! I am glad I am not missing out on something!!

Love

Rudi
x

KJCherokee Oct 7th 2011 1:55 am

Medicare offices

Department of Transport and Motor Vehicles Offices