Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Arrival Stories, share your views....please

Arrival Stories, share your views....please

Old Dec 25th 2005, 11:12 pm
Mad Nurse now in NSW

eljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of light
Talking Arrival Stories, share your views....please

hi all,

As those of you who are in the process or soon to be applying for visas to the land down under, we all relish (well at least I do) those stories of how you found your first few days/months, once you had got over the hassles of applying and waiting for the visa then moving down under.

If anyone has any stories, anything they found difficult to come to terms with, once it had hit them that they really were or are starting that new life down under.

please share, make us all envious and what to watch out for....Hope I am making sense, as i am at work, its quiet, its just past 12.10 in the morning

thought I would ask
Old Dec 25th 2005, 11:14 pm
Mad Nurse now in NSW

eljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Arrival Stories, share your views....please

Oh and lukeamyofath, thanks for the 47sk editable version, while its quiet, time for me to start filling in the visa forms.......posting on march the 14th :scared:

Justin
Old Dec 25th 2005, 11:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

boom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this point

we blogged ours, we've been here for 4 months and have had a few ups and down - blog is in our sig
Old Dec 26th 2005, 8:33 am
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve&Clare
we blogged ours, we've been here for 4 months and have had a few ups and down - blog is in our sig
had a good read and a nose at the pictures - house looks lovely. and i see that you used to live in bracknell. so did I! (great 'ollands). has the weather picked up it was cr*p when we were in perth in august.
Old Dec 26th 2005, 10:14 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Ditto
Old Dec 26th 2005, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
Ditto
once the in-laws have left later I'll give yours a nose too - I am nosy by nature
Old Dec 26th 2005, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

Mhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really nice

Hiya

Just spent a good 2 hours reading your story. Feel like you I've known you for years now!!

Good luck with the new job. If Perth is as small as you say, maybe catch up with you next year.

Mhairi
Old Dec 27th 2005, 12:29 am
Mad Nurse now in NSW

Originally Posted by Mhairi
Hiya

Just spent a good 2 hours reading your story. Feel like you I've known you for years now!!

Good luck with the new job. If Perth is as small as you say, maybe catch up with you next year.

Mhairi

Just printed both of the blogs off cant wait to read em both.....Keep them coming.
Old Dec 27th 2005, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

xshirleyx has a brilliant futurexshirleyx has a brilliant futurexshirleyx has a brilliant futurexshirleyx has a brilliant futurexshirleyx has a brilliant futurexshirleyx has a brilliant futurexshirleyx has a brilliant futurexshirleyx has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by eljustino
Just printed both of the blogs off cant wait to read em both.....Keep them coming.
Hi, Great thread! Really nice to read other ppls stories - even the good or bad times

Shirley.
Old Dec 27th 2005, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

suecroft will become famous soon enoughsuecroft will become famous soon enough

We arrived in April and had more downs than ups to start with.
2 winters in a row did'nt help.
Finding a job ( that paid decent money) was harder than we expected and the house prices have rocketed.
Weaqther was pretty shitty right up until December and even then not brilliant until now.
BUT we have had a great Xmas and Pimms by the pool on Xmas day is something we would never do in the UK.
Look us up www.familycroft.com

and 1 word of advice Do NOT move to Aus in May to September unless you want 2 winters in a row - depressing !!!!

Sue
Old Dec 28th 2005, 4:48 am
Mad Nurse now in NSW

Wow what great stories, very informative and very well written. Sue good advice on the moving bit, I hopefully should be there after the summer of 06 so if all goes to plan should get 2 summers on the bounce.

keep them coming guys......

Justin
Old Dec 28th 2005, 5:35 am
Nos De Caraid...

BartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by eljustino
If anyone has any stories, anything they found difficult to come to terms with, once it had hit them that they really were or are starting that new life down under.
Yes only one thing...
Salary (no matter how much you earn) v/s the expenses... Hell I miscalculated expensis before I landed here...
I dont think I shall be able to save for a house... and I dont dare to take a loan.

- Bart
Old Dec 28th 2005, 8:06 am
BE Enthusiast

boom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BartSimpson
Yes only one thing...
Salary (no matter how much you earn) v/s the expenses... Hell I miscalculated expensis before I landed here...
I dont think I shall be able to save for a house... and I dont dare to take a loan.

- Bart
I've got to be honest, so did we. We were fortunate enough to have a little equity in the house to bring with us, otherwise we would not have been able to buy a house this soon.

We expected everything to be super cheap compared to England when to be honest the cost of living, if you retain the same lifestyle as in the UK, is higher here. The thing that makes it all worth while here is that there is so much you can do without spending money.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 5:26 am
Nos De Caraid...

BartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of light

The thing that makes it all worth while here is that there is so much you can do without spending money.
And what is that?
<except fishing and good chicks >
- Bart
Old Jan 4th 2006, 6:52 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I've got to be honest, so did we. We were fortunate enough to have a little equity in the house to bring with us, otherwise we would not have been able to buy a house this soon.

We expected everything to be super cheap compared to England when to be honest the cost of living, if you retain the same lifestyle as in the UK, is higher here. The thing that makes it all worth while here is that there is so much you can do without spending money.
Agree with this. Cost of living comparable to the UK & more tax to pay as well. Still a great place though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.