Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

On arrival in Melbourne

On arrival in Melbourne

Old Oct 8th 2002, 6:07 am
Just Joined

SteveRowe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default On arrival in Melbourne

We are arriving in Melbourne on December 18th and I just needed to know if there are anythings we need to do other than present our visas on arrival in Oz? I'm sure governmental bodies would have a whole book of forms for us to fill out. Do any of you have a check list of things to do, organisations to contact on arrival or pre arrival? I hold an Australian passport through my mother but my family, because of my citizenship is by decent have visas.

Steve
Old Oct 8th 2002, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

stay or go ? is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: On arrival in Melbourne

Originally posted by SteveRowe:
We are arriving in Melbourne on December 18th and I just needed to know if there are anythings we need to do other than present our visas on arrival in Oz? I'm sure governmental bodies would have a whole book of forms for us to fill out. Do any of you have a check list of things to do, organisations to contact on arrival or pre arrival? I hold an Australian passport through my mother but my family, because of my citizenship is by decent have visas.

Steve
just make sure you have sunnies, $45 for the taxi from Tullamarine to the city (or more / less depending on where you are going), and dont expect much to be working (summer holiday combined with Xmas).

enjoy.
Old Oct 8th 2002, 8:33 am
Mr Hunt

eckhous is an unknown quantity at this point

Steve
I have a link that summarize some immigration things that you should do when you arrive + regular staff.

http://emigrate.hotshopping.com.au/

Have fun
Old Oct 8th 2002, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

ywoods is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya Steve..

I arrived in Melb 3 weeks ago and there are no forms to sign. You need to complete your landing card obviously... go through immigration and then collect your luggage.

When you have a spare few mins... go to a medicare centre and apply for your medicare card.

Bank accounts are going to be a little more complex for you than it was for me, but I am sure you will sort that out no worries. I would like to say that ANZ are a good bank in the respect that you only pay $5 per month bank fees and you have no other fees to pay for transactions.

Ummmm you wont be in time to register your kids before the holidays but it is not an ordeal. Just wait til the holidays are over, make an appointment and take along your passports.

Tax file number. Apply and wait for it.. takes up to 24 days and if you dont have it back within then... you have to pay 48.5% tax EEEEEEEEEEEEEEK Again another thing that is not a major drama

You will need to sit your driving theory test within 3 months as you are a citizen, but your wife will only have to do it if she is a permanent resident. If she is not, she can wait til she is but again has to do it within 3 months.

Anything else you wanna know, ask away

Where you looking at settling?

Yvonne

Steve

Last edited by ywoods; Oct 8th 2002 at 11:17 am.
Old Oct 8th 2002, 1:36 pm
Just Joined

SteveRowe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ywoods:
Hiya Steve..

I arrived in Melb 3 weeks ago and there are no forms to sign. You need to complete your landing card obviously... go through immigration and then collect your luggage.

When you have a spare few mins... go to a medicare centre and apply for your medicare card.

Bank accounts are going to be a little more complex for you than it was for me, but I am sure you will sort that out no worries. I would like to say that ANZ are a good bank in the respect that you only pay $5 per month bank fees and you have no other fees to pay for transactions.

Ummmm you wont be in time to register your kids before the holidays but it is not an ordeal. Just wait til the holidays are over, make an appointment and take along your passports.

Tax file number. Apply and wait for it.. takes up to 24 days and if you dont have it back within then... you have to pay 48.5% tax EEEEEEEEEEEEEEK Again another thing that is not a major drama

You will need to sit your driving theory test within 3 months as you are a citizen, but your wife will only have to do it if she is a permanent resident. If she is not, she can wait til she is but again has to do it within 3 months.

Anything else you wanna know, ask away

Where you looking at settling?

Yvonne

Thanks for all your responses, I'm relived I don't have that much to do when I arrive. We are staying at a hotel in Mount Eliza once we arrive then we will be looking for a place to rent whilst we look for a place to buy.

A bit of a downer for the kids being in a hotel over christmas but when our furniture arrives we will have a belated christmas for them.

Steve

Old Oct 8th 2002, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

ywoods is an unknown quantity at this point

Kids will survive.. pretty resiliant little buggers

Yvonne