Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

On arrival to AUS, when do we need to take out private health cover

On arrival to AUS, when do we need to take out private health cover

Old Aug 26th 2006, 8:33 pm
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute
Default On arrival to AUS, when do we need to take out private health cover

we validated nov 05, we are moving in jul 07
we fully expect to earn below 100k between 2 of us

i am 35(m)
fiance (f) 39

what do i have to do now or when i get there.

Do i/we have to join a private health insurance at all

thanks for any answers as im a little confused on this.

We are discussing whether if one of us arrived and due to the fact that our "year of reciprocal health policy" had ran out and one of us had a heart attact etc and needed to go into hospital. Would we pay the earth or would it all be paid for.

Please explain as much as you can how it all works or please send a link.

I dont even know who is in charhge of all the rules, is it medicare, or the dimia or someone else,

thanks in advance

al
Old Aug 26th 2006, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: On arrival to AUS, when do we need to take out private health cover

Originally Posted by alkristensen
we validated nov 05, we are moving in jul 07
we fully expect to earn below 100k between 2 of us

i am 35(m)
fiance (f) 39

what do i have to do now or when i get there.

Do i/we have to join a private health insurance at all

thanks for any answers as im a little confused on this.

We are discussing whether if one of us arrived and due to the fact that our "year of reciprocal health policy" had ran out and one of us had a heart attact etc and needed to go into hospital. Would we pay the earth or would it all be paid for.

Please explain as much as you can how it all works or please send a link.

I dont even know who is in charhge of all the rules, is it medicare, or the dimia or someone else,

thanks in advance

al
medicare is the equiv of the UK NHS.
it is funded by a levy on earnings which everybody has to pay if in employment.
you don't need to do anything before you arrive.
here are some links:
http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/
http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/pa...01/002/030/004

many people have private health cover which is the similar to BUPA in the UK.
DIMA has nothing to do with the health system.
Old Aug 26th 2006, 8:45 pm
Banned

alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ianandhelena
medicare is the equiv of the UK NHS.
it is funded by a levy on earnings which everybody has to pay if in employment.
you don't need to do anything before you arrive.
here are some links:
http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/
http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/pa...01/002/030/004

many people have private health cover which is the similar to BUPA in the UK.
DIMA has nothing to do with the health system.
but when do i get this m3edicare please and for how long.

i was under the impression that we HAD to get insurance on arrival and for the 2 years until we got benefits etc. Is this true or not, and if not then what is the truth please

al,x
Old Aug 26th 2006, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

but when do i get this m3edicare please and for how long.

i was under the impression that we HAD to get insurance on arrival and for the 2 years until we got benefits etc. Is this true or not, and if not then what is the truth please

al,x
you are covered by medicare when your plane lands, and until your budgie drops off its perch.
health insurance is optional.
what benefits?
Old Aug 26th 2006, 10:04 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by ianandhelena
you are covered by medicare when your plane lands, and until your budgie drops off its perch.
health insurance is optional.
what benefits?
dole

or is this a load of tripe ive been told too.

i was told you ghad to wait 2 years for dole.

i suppose its best to ask

where can i find out what im entitled to when i land if things go pear shaped i suppose.

thankyou

al
Old Aug 26th 2006, 10:15 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

i was told you ghad to wait 2 years for dole.
Medicare is not the dole.

It's not really necessary to ask the same question on two different threads:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=392808
Old Aug 26th 2006, 11:17 pm
Banned

thanks jeremy but i was responding to the question, "what benefits" from previous poster. i also realised from a poster that it was Private health insurance, and nort just health insurance and thro fear of getting it wrong and cionfusing people i wrote a new question

i cannot delete my thread i think and was asking it in a different way to get deifferent responses as i had thought of a better way of putting it

is this allowed.

vSorry if not.

ill think on how to put it in advance so that no-one on this forum can take it the wrong way or answer you with an irrelevant answer(im referring to other posts in the past not this one).

you get different responses the way you word your sentences on this forum, you should know that or have you not started a thread recently.

and....... if i was ever to come up with THE perfect question then i may as well answer it myself as ill have to have done all the research in order for people not to correct me so i wouldnt need advice. paradox maybe, but its simpler to ask 2 questions and as you can see, different results. if all the answer were the same then............

so please could you give me the info i ask.

is there a waiting list for dole or not,

if so, how long.

i know its not called dole, but i would like the aussie equiv name posting and how long i have to wait please for when i am entitled to it.

i have no intention of being a doley ior centrelinky or whatever you/we call em, ive just been given duff info in the past and want to know who knows the answer if you all dont.

i would like answer to all the above questions in turn as many as you can and not a commentary ont the flippant arrogant staements at the end and beggining of paragraph

thanks in advance

Thanks

al
Old Aug 27th 2006, 1:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

i know its not called dole, but i would like the aussie equiv name posting and how long i have to wait please for when i am entitled to it.

It is called the "dole", among other things. It's the only name that I know it by.
Old Aug 27th 2006, 2:20 am
Banned

found it!!! http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...ay_permres.htm

basically yu aint entitled to dole for 2 years- good.

thatll keep em out

should be done i the uk too, same as work for your dole- cleaner hospitals in the uk all paid for by us in a way that our tax should be used - get the lzy arses back out to work

Old Aug 28th 2006, 12:31 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Lazy enough to avoid the Caps key? <g>
Old Aug 28th 2006, 3:41 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Wol
Lazy enough to avoid the Caps key? <g>

HA HA HA THANKYOU VERY MUCH FOR POINTING THAT OUT.

SOME PEOPLE HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO.

POINTING OUT THAT I DONT USE CAPS OR PUT APOSTROPHES AFTER DON AND IN FRONT OF T IN THE WORD DONT MEANS THAT I AM A LAZY TYPER OR THE FACT THAT I'M NOT ANAL ENOUGH TO CARE

TIT

I GOT SLATED OFF JAJ FOR POSTING SIMILAR QUESTIONS, SO WHY DOESN'T THE MODERATORS BERATE THE PEOPLE WHO MAKE STUPID COMMENTS LIKE THE LAST ONE INSTEAD AND WE MAY GET PURE INFORMATION NOT JUST LITTLE GRAMMAR HITLERS MULLING ABOUT THE PLACE WITH NOTHING BETTER TO DO. NO WONDER I DONT AND MANY OTHER PEOPLE DONT COME ON THIS SITE VERY OFTEN ANY MORE, CAUSE OF PEOPLE LIKE YOU.

GET A FRIGGIN LIFE YOU MUPPET
Old Aug 28th 2006, 3:50 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

POINTING OUT THAT I DONT USE CAPS OR PUT APOSTROPHES AFTER DON AND IN FRONT OF T IN THE WORD DONT MEANS THAT I AM A LAZY TYPER OR THE FACT THAT I'M NOT ANAL ENOUGH TO CARE

TIT

I GOT SLATED OFF JAJ FOR POSTING SIMILAR QUESTIONS, SO WHY DOESN'T THE MODERATORS BERATE THE PEOPLE WHO MAKE STUPID COMMENTS LIKE THE LAST ONE INSTEAD AND WE MAY GET PURE INFORMATION NOT JUST LITTLE GRAMMAR HITLERS MULLING ABOUT THE PLACE WITH NOTHING BETTER TO DO. NO WONDER I DONT AND MANY OTHER PEOPLE DONT COME ON THIS SITE VERY OFTEN ANY MORE, CAUSE OF PEOPLE LIKE YOU.

He was joking Al, he put a <g> at the end to show this. Please don't take offence. There's been way too much fighting on BE this week, I can't take any more

I see you're off to Manly - what a place, you're gona love it

Gill
Old Aug 28th 2006, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Angela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond repute

Grammar Hitlers ! - oooohh that made me laugh not heard that one before
Old Aug 28th 2006, 9:32 pm
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

TIT

Why don't you do a bit of research on the site before posting the same questions several times over?
You need to chill - you won't do very well out here if you get that upset that easily
Old Aug 29th 2006, 10:26 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by herrchook
He was joking Al, he put a <g> at the end to show this. Please don't take offence. There's been way too much fighting on BE this week, I can't take any more

I see you're off to Manly - what a place, you're gona love it

Gill
He'll fit in well, I think <g>

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.