Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

ARRGGHHHH.no,no,noooooooooo

ARRGGHHHH.no,no,noooooooooo

Old Oct 7th 2004, 7:29 pm
Just Joined

Bob Edmunds is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry ARRGGHHHH.no,no,noooooooooo

hi folks,Our dream of an ozzie life appears to be over ,we`ve fallen at the first hurdle , just received a negative TRA skills assessment for my wifes job (bank cashier, 6 yrs +,thought her City & guilds qualification would have been adequate ??) really gutted as we needed the points for her job to be able to apply for Skilled independant PR .any body feel it would be worth appealing ?
We are now looking for alternative routes to PR,I understand that buying a business( I quite fancy buying and running village general store ) could be a viable alternative . any thoughts or suggestions/opinions gratefully received

Old Oct 7th 2004, 8:56 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ARRGGHHHH.no,no,noooooooooo

Originally Posted by Bob Edmunds
hi folks,Our dream of an ozzie life appears to be over ,we`ve fallen at the first hurdle , just received a negative TRA skills assessment for my wifes job (bank cashier, 6 yrs +,thought her City & guilds qualification would have been adequate ??) really gutted as we needed the points for her job to be able to apply for Skilled independant PR .any body feel it would be worth appealing ?
We are now looking for alternative routes to PR,I understand that buying a business( I quite fancy buying and running village general store ) could be a viable alternative . any thoughts or suggestions/opinions gratefully received

Have you consulted an agent? or did you do the TRA yourself. It is certainly not common to fail the TRA.
Old Oct 7th 2004, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

of2oz is on a distinguished road

bad luck mate, have you thought about going sir to south australia or even brisbane ! might be worth checking out.
Old Oct 7th 2004, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

anypan is an unknown quantity at this point

sorry to hear the news .......... dont give up, keep trying
Old Oct 7th 2004, 11:36 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't lose heart. There's a lot of different visas out there apart from skilled independent. Take a look at the regional sponsored visas......state sponsored and SIRs. There's a big push to get potential migrants to settle in the regions. South Australia in particular is pushing this in a big way.

There's also the business visa. You seem to be considering this already. Can you make it to the migration fare at Sandown this Fri, Sat and Sun? Good chance of getting lots of useful info plus advice.

Good luck!
Old Oct 7th 2004, 11:53 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Even if she had got a TRA assessment she would likely have been refused at migration application stage - bank cashier is not an occupation on the Skilled Occupations List (SOL), and you do need some SOL work experience to have any chance unless you're an eligible recent Australian graduate.

Without such recent skilled work experience, you can forget about any kind of general skilled migration, including SIR, even if you manage to get a skill assessment in a SOL occupation. Sorry to say that, but that's the way it is.

If you're thinking about business migration - two pieces of advice. Firstly download and read the information on this from the DIMIA website. Then get professional advice - it's very easy to waste a lot of money on a strategy that has no prospect of success. You'll see that generally you need a track record in business before you will be granted a business migration visa, and PR only follows later on if you set up a business in Australia and all goes well.

Employer nomination may be an option in theory, but realistically unless you've got skills that Australian employers can't find locally then you're going to struggle even to find a job offer, let alone then see if you meet the visa criteria.

Jeremy
Old Oct 8th 2004, 1:30 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Have u looked into NZ at all....http://www.immigration.govt.nz

No TRA to go through; although there are other job related criteria!
Old Oct 8th 2004, 3:14 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Heard this one before, Australia do not recognise city and guilds qualifications! I think business visa would be the way to go, I dont think it would be worthwhile appealing. Have a look at businesses for sale, I am sure if you ask on here, expats will look in the local papers for you so at least you have some idea. Let us know where you are thinking of heading.
Jenny
Old Oct 8th 2004, 3:47 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Bob,
Not sure what route you should go down next I just wanted to offer my support. Good luck with whatever you decide to do next.
Sarah
Old Oct 8th 2004, 4:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Innyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jensteve
Heard this one before, Australia do not recognise city and guilds qualifications! I think business visa would be the way to go, I dont think it would be worthwhile appealing. Have a look at businesses for sale, I am sure if you ask on here, expats will look in the local papers for you so at least you have some idea. Let us know where you are thinking of heading.
Jenny
The TRA certainly do recognise City & Guilds qualifications. I'm a Chef with 7061+2 and it is also recognised by employers.
Old Oct 9th 2004, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

bettytweena is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't give up yet....I know you've had a knock back, but plenty of people on here (with visas) have had those.....me included. It's been a roller coaster, rocky ride over the past months, but if you persevere, something will turn up.........In April, we thought our dream was well and truly over, when the points increase wiped us out.......you've got to keep going, and find a way.......
Now, we have successfully got SIR sponsorship, and will be in Adelaide next year.
We are all egging you on from our computers..............get an agent to try to sort it for you.....it will be worth th expense if they find you a way in.

What is your occupation? Could you get your skills assessed?

I'm not being nosey, just trying to nudge you to consider all options....

Good luck, where there's a will, there's a way!!!!!!
Old Oct 9th 2004, 7:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Craig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura about

....try, try, try again. Keep at it I'm sure there must be a way somehow, what about your quals/trade?

Regards
Old Oct 9th 2004, 7:48 pm
Cheeky

Hi there!!!

I just wanted to say that my hubby has City and Guild qualifications and got through the TRA with no probs.

Best of luck with your App,

Regards, Cheeky

Originally Posted by jensteve
Jenny

Last edited by Cheeky; Oct 9th 2004 at 7:50 pm.

Old Oct 10th 2004, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

Misty33 is on a distinguished road

Hi
We have just had our application rejected due to the changes to the skilled independent sponsored sub class changes on 8th Sept - sods law as we finally got the whole application sent off on 1st Sept! But we are interested in the new Skilled Independent Regional (state sponsored?) - is this the one you applied under - where it is temporary visa for 3 years and subject to some stipulations about living and working in a specific place you can then apply for permanent residency? If it is I would be really interested in how long the application took and whether you know anymore about what you have to do to eventually get permanent residency?
Good luck in your move to Adelaide!

Originally Posted by bettytweena
Don't give up yet....I know you've had a knock back, but plenty of people on here (with visas) have had those.....me included. It's been a roller coaster, rocky ride over the past months, but if you persevere, something will turn up.........In April, we thought our dream was well and truly over, when the points increase wiped us out.......you've got to keep going, and find a way.......
Now, we have successfully got SIR sponsorship, and will be in Adelaide next year.
We are all egging you on from our computers..............get an agent to try to sort it for you.....it will be worth th expense if they find you a way in.

What is your occupation? Could you get your skills assessed?

I'm not being nosey, just trying to nudge you to consider all options....

Good luck, where there's a will, there's a way!!!!!!
Old Oct 10th 2004, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

bettytweena is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Misty33
Yes, we did apply under the skilled independent regional (provisional) visa. It is temporary for 3 years, but if you fulfill the stipulated criteria, ie. live in SA for two full years, and work full time in an occupation on the SOL for at least 1 year, you will be eligible to apply for PR.
We applied for sponsorship to SA on 20th August, and were granted it on 30th September, although we didn't know until 6th Oct.

Although there are no guarantees that PR will be granted, if you have fulfilled the criteria, brought property, put kids through school, worked and paid taxes, there probably isn't any reason why you would be refused......the visa has worked, they have attracted you to a low population area, and you have settled.....
Just an opinion though......all the same, it was our only option.

Whatever you do, good luck..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.