British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Armadale, Perth (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/armadale-perth-585666/)

Kingseat Jan 20th 2009 8:08 am

Armadale, Perth

Just wondering if anyone on the boards lives or knows much about Armadale. Thinking about this area if we finally manage to move over in September.

Thank you.

rangersman2 Jan 20th 2009 8:13 am

Re: Armadale, Perth

there are better area's than Armadale to put it mildly, a bit hard to find any worst

Kingseat Jan 20th 2009 9:06 am

oooh right! Thank you. Will stop looking there then!

sj oldfield Jan 20th 2009 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Kingseat (Post 7190934)
oooh right! Thank you. Will stop looking there then!

Its down to personal choice..............but I wouldnt live there!

renth Jan 20th 2009 9:27 am

Originally Posted by Kingseat (Post 7190779)
Just wondering if anyone on the boards lives or knows much about Armadale. Thinking about this area if we finally manage to move over in September.

Thank you.

Absolute shitehole.

Kingseat Jan 20th 2009 9:34 am

Well, you guys are honest I'll give you that! Thanks though. Will be studying in Cannington so trying to look online at what's available. Needs to be a family home for 3 of us. Looking at around $400 per week. Needs to have a good family vibe.

Loved the look of Secret Harbour but may be too far out? I will be buying either a motorbike or a scooter when I arrive so a bit quicker than being in car.

Dorothy Jan 20th 2009 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Kingseat (Post 7191028)
Well, you guys are honest I'll give you that! Thanks though. Will be studying in Cannington so trying to look online at what's available. Needs to be a family home for 3 of us. Looking at around $400 per week. Needs to have a good family vibe.

Loved the look of Secret Harbour but may be too far out? I will be buying either a motorbike or a scooter when I arrive so a bit quicker than being in car.

Give Willetton a try. Nice suburb and good schools. Closeish (is that a word?) to Cannington.

Kingseat Jan 20th 2009 10:24 am

Off to have a look Dorothy. Thank you. We're out on holiday next month so want to narrow down a few good areas rather than wasting time in crap ones!

werty1 Jan 20th 2009 2:04 pm

Have you ever thought of coming down to Bunbury? Its 2 hours south of Perth, Im also on a student visa and I study here in Bunbury! :) Its regional too so you get extra points!!

Kingseat Jan 20th 2009 2:15 pm

We'd love to come further South but the course is in Cannington and it is the only place that does it. We'd be further South in a shot.

werty1 Jan 20th 2009 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by Kingseat (Post 7191976)
We'd love to come further South but the course is in Cannington and it is the only place that does it. We'd be further South in a shot.

Oh well never mind! What course is it you are doing? Im doing horticulture and enjoying it!

Kingseat Jan 20th 2009 2:18 pm

Wall and Floor tiling in Cannington (hopefully). Still to apply for visas but we don't envisage any problems with getting them.

Glad you are enjoying it though. When does your course finish?

werty1 Jan 20th 2009 2:19 pm

will finish december 09! half way there already, its gone so quick! :)

worzel Jan 21st 2009 2:00 am

Thank you.

It has its fair share of trouble but is starting to improve with new development. Older parts have some nice properties on large blocks in quite rural settings. But as I say, it has a fair amount of trouble from what i can tell. There is potential to see some good capital growth though if you can get through for a few years.

The_Wookie Jan 21st 2009 3:31 am

Originally Posted by renth (Post 7191005)
Absolute shitehole.

:rofl:

Renth says it as it is!!!

Muzza04 Jan 21st 2009 9:16 am

Thank you.

Despite the acrimonious nature of some posters on this thread, the City of Armadale covers a huge area, and not all of the region is dire straits.

I'd bet (my house perhaps) that the majority (of posters) have based their opinion on hearsay, or even perhaps a drive by via the Albany Highway. Some might say this would be the " up their own arse's Northern Suburbs mentality".

Sure there are some shite areas, some fantastic. It depends where you decide to settle. Suggest you do some homework on the ground, but as a general guide, most suburbs west of the railway are "shitehole", and those east are the dogs bollocks. The Kinross's and Iluka's of the North are
not a patch on suburbs like Mt Richon, Mt Nasura, Roleystone with big blocks etc. Fot costs, rent rates are favourable too from $300- 600 per week getting you at least a 3 bed house on a 1500sqm block

Cant be hacked with sterile big brother suburbs, where snobby people can hear their neighbours doing a dump.:p

Muzza

renth Jan 21st 2009 10:06 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Muzza04 (Post 7195309)
The Kinross's and Iluka's of the North are not a patch on suburbs like Mt Richon, Mt Nasura, Roleystone with big blocks etc.

Can't argue with that, some parts of Roleystone are very nice, others are hillbilly central, don't forget to bring your banjo...

SJFothe Jan 21st 2009 11:06 am

We are in Forrestfield, 15mins from Cannington, 3bed on large block with pool Lesmurdie falls National Park is behind us with the most beautiful waterfall. We avoided sterile overpriced new developments and to be honest we moved to Oz to meet ozzies not live with a load of poms!
I work in Willeton and agree its also a nice suburb so to is Roleystone:rofl:

squeezzii Jan 21st 2009 11:33 am

was gonna join in with this but it seems all has been said. true that armadale is a huge area and not all places are bad but even so its not somewhere we'd want to go back to, having spent some time living in thornlie/maddington...

JRB Jan 21st 2009 12:40 pm

We drove through it several times and didn't dare get out of the car! Scarey!

renth Jan 22nd 2009 1:37 am

An Armadale Girl enters an adult shop & asks for a vibrator.
The man says: "Choose one from our range on the wall."
She says "I'll take the red one."
The man replies: "That's a fire extinguisher."

Q. Two Balga girls jump off a cliff. Who wins?
A. Society.

Q. What does a Cannington girl use as protection during sex?
A. A bus shelter.

Q. What do you call a 30 year old Girrawheen girl?
A. Granny.

Q. Why did the Geraldton girl cross the road?
A. To start a fight with a complete stranger for no reason whatsoever.

Q. What do you call a Midland girl in a white tracksuit?
A. The bride.

Q. What's the first question during a Merriwa quiz night?
A. What you looking at?

Q. Two Mirrabooka kids in a car without any music - who is driving?
A. The policeman.

Q. What's the difference between a boy and a Rockingham girl?
A. A Rockingham girl has a higher sperm count.

Q. What's the most confusing day in Kwinana ?
A. Fathers day

Q. How do people know Jesus wasn't born in Balga?
A. You try finding 3 wise men and a virgin there!