Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Arghhhhhh... I could have DIED!

Arghhhhhh... I could have DIED!

Old Jan 4th 2006, 2:46 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Arghhhhhh... I could have DIED!

Ok, I had really, really, really hoped that I would be one of those people who never actually SAW a huntsman in real life and would be suitably sympathetic when I saw a "First huntsman" thread.
"Not me." (I said) "Been here almost 2 years and not a peep."
Well.....

Tonight, I graciously offered to pick up my daughter and her friend from a party to let the other half get his well deserved beauty sleep.
Nothing exciting happened on the way there... I sat patiently in the car waiting for her to exit the house. As soon as they had both closed their doors (and I had changed gears to "D") a BIGASS FRICKEN SPIDER crawled down the windscreen.

Needless to say, we all jumped out of the car as fast as humanly possible and thankfully, I had the good sense to put it back in park and pull the hand break. (Imagine the car rolling gently down the street into the park.)

After 5 minutes of the party girls mum hugging me (I was shaking and she was very sympathetic) and trying to convince me that it was gone (I was asking for a torch to check) she advised me to turn on the air con full blast - freeze the bugger!

Chloe (said daughter) PROMISED that she had seen it crawl over the windscreen wipers (hence OUTSIDE the car as opposed to inside waiting for me to return so it could smile a big spidery smile and chuckle at my hilarity.)

I managed to drive home though I refused to drive her friend home first - thanks goodness a sleepover had already been in the works!

Now... the question is... how do I make sure it didn't crawl under the bonnet and it presently laying eggs in my engine??

No sleep for me tonight And I bet DH hears about this first on this thread (still sleeping) so if you see this dear, check the car before you leave in the morning. Oh! and maybe stop at bunnings for some industrial strenth spider killer!

Siren (Shaken AND stirred!)
Old Jan 4th 2006, 2:51 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arghhhhhh... I could have DIED!

I must apologise for PMSL but the way you described it just did it for me!

That's one of my biggest fears and knowing my luck will happen. Hope you got to Bunnings Ok.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Jan 4th 2006, 2:59 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
Ok, I had really, really, really hoped that I would be one of those people who never actually SAW a huntsman in real life and would be suitably sympathetic when I saw a "First huntsman" thread.
"Not me." (I said) "Been here almost 2 years and not a peep."
Well.....

Tonight, I graciously offered to pick up my daughter and her friend from a party to let the other half get his well deserved beauty sleep.
Nothing exciting happened on the way there... I sat patiently in the car waiting for her to exit the house. As soon as they had both closed their doors (and I had changed gears to "D") a BIGASS FRICKEN SPIDER crawled down the windscreen.

Needless to say, we all jumped out of the car as fast as humanly possible and thankfully, I had the good sense to put it back in park and pull the hand break. (Imagine the car rolling gently down the street into the park.)

After 5 minutes of the party girls mum hugging me (I was shaking and she was very sympathetic) and trying to convince me that it was gone (I was asking for a torch to check) she advised me to turn on the air con full blast - freeze the bugger!

Chloe (said daughter) PROMISED that she had seen it crawl over the windscreen wipers (hence OUTSIDE the car as opposed to inside waiting for me to return so it could smile a big spidery smile and chuckle at my hilarity.)

I managed to drive home though I refused to drive her friend home first - thanks goodness a sleepover had already been in the works!

Now... the question is... how do I make sure it didn't crawl under the bonnet and it presently laying eggs in my engine??

No sleep for me tonight And I bet DH hears about this first on this thread (still sleeping) so if you see this dear, check the car before you leave in the morning. Oh! and maybe stop at bunnings for some industrial strenth spider killer!

Siren (Shaken AND stirred!)
OMG PMSL - That is exactly how I think I would have reacted too!!! My next step would be to get hubby to either have the entire car dipped in a super container full of spider killer, or sell it!! I kid you not. If I ever get a visa, it will be hottly followed by a series of visits to a hypnotherapist!!!!!!!
Old Jan 4th 2006, 4:42 pm
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

Always, but always have a flame thrower, fire extinguisher, industrial sized hairspray, rubber mallet and a priest (to administer last rites due to the heart attack) in the boot of your car....mate my car is going be stuffed with anti-huntsman deterants...... The kids'll have to ride on a skateboard tied to the towbar

D D
Old Jan 4th 2006, 4:46 pm
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DollyDaydream
Always, but always have a flame thrower, fire extinguisher, industrial sized hairspray, rubber mallet and a priest (to administer last rites due to the heart attack) in the boot of your car....mate my car is going be stuffed with anti-huntsman deterants...... The kids'll have to ride on a skateboard tied to the towbar

D D

you do make me laugh
Old Jan 4th 2006, 5:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Lal Lal a rural community outside Ballarat VIC, previously Kent England
oliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond repute

Id have been the same but still cant help having a chuckle at you!

Old Jan 4th 2006, 6:04 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DollyDaydream

D D
all of a sudden london zoo sucks
Old Jan 4th 2006, 8:56 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
lol - they live in trees - I reckon the chances of them opting for a scalding hot engine enclosure to raise a family to be pretty remote.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 9:23 pm
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

I had my first 'encounter' with a huntsman last night. As he was just going to bed last night my 15 year old found one on his bedroom blind. It was a struggle to find a jug large enough for all its legs plus the hobnail boots to fit in! I had to get my other half to catch it....it was all I could do to be in the same room :scared:

Hey and they don't half shift don't they?
Old Jan 4th 2006, 10:17 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

lol - I feel for you Siren.
We had a similar experience in our car.
Going through the car wash, when suddenly a huge spider runs out of the ac vents and scurries across the dashboard!!!
It sits there looking at us frozen to our seats with no escape for any of us.
I grab the map book, but due to the angle of the windscreen can't get a good enough swing at it.
So there was nothing else to do but wait till the wash finished, then leap out of the car. I managed to coax it out with the pointy end of a brolly.
A stranger sight at the carwash has never been seen.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 10:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

svinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud of

I have only been here 3 months and have yet to encounter this horrible specimen. I have already been bitten by the redback. But what i need to know is that the australian seems to tell me they are as big as dinner plates. Think this could be bending the truth a little (hopefully). could any one that has seen the huntsman, Please tell me this is not true, I gather when i encounter it, I am gonna see and be able to tell its a Huntsman.
Suzanne
Old Jan 4th 2006, 10:41 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by svinnes
I gather when i encounter it, I am gonna see and be able to tell its a Huntsman.
Suzanne

Oh yeaaaaaaaaaaaaah! The way you tell is that it's bigger than any spider you've ever seen! (Although dinner plate size is a slight exaggeration) I would have guessed this one to be about the size of my hand (fingers spread) including it's legs. Probably a bit small in comparison to some but big enough to see hair *shudder, shudder, cringe, cringe *

In retrospect, the whole experience was pretty funny but at the time I couldn't stop shaking and was convinced that if I sat in the car it was going to crawl on me. (Knowing of course, as they do, that I would be the one to freak out and lose control of the car)

Chloe told me she'd kill it if it showed up again while I was driving but I didn't believe that for a second, cause she was out of the car faster than I was when it first showed up...... and she ran further

Siren (Better in the fresh light of morning)
Old Jan 4th 2006, 10:50 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

hehe. the fear of spiders is something i have never understood.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

svinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud of

Fear of spiders is an under statement, I couldn't even kill the little buggers in the u.k, I had to get my mates up to deal with them. My ears go deaf and i totally freeze, So i think when i see this big mother looks like i will be heading home if i don't have a heart attack first that is.
Suzanne
Old Jan 4th 2006, 10:55 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

the only time i don't like spiders is when they crawl into your mouth while you are asleep.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.