Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Arghh, honeymoon in cairns over, back to reality!

Arghh, honeymoon in cairns over, back to reality!

Old Jul 24th 2005, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Arghh, honeymoon in cairns over, back to reality!

hello all,

its been ages since i've been on the forum, had lots to plan like hen night, wedding and honeymoon. I think sue, AKA tiredwithtwins will vouch a good night was had by all, except when my so-called friends/collegues potted both my arms with scothcast !!!

the following week, me my partner with the 3 kids, headed off on the thursday to gretna green, the wedding was perfect from start to finish . we set off back to sheffield on the saturday and sunday morning were heading to heathrow for our flight to cairns. only the one hitch, we got to heathrow got lost and ended up travelling back up the M25!! i would have been arrested for my language! one tip for anyone driving to london on a sunday....DONT!

Great flight with japan airlines, brand new aircraft, fantastic service but not much leg room, but what do you expect for £495! on the return we got fab seats next to the exit. Cairns was hot and sunny when we arrived and sooooo lush, green and beautiful. The weather was 26- 28 degrees the whole stay but we did have 3 days of rain and i mean rain! well i suppose we were in the rainforest afterall!

had 2 nights in a luxury b&B in the rainforest before getting our camper van. Went to port douglas before heading south to mission beach and onto townsville to visit my friend. well, thats another story, went to magnetic island which was fantastic, hired a little convertable and drove up and down the island to different beaches for the day, 15 minutes from top to bottom. saw wallabies and koalas in the wild. thing was we forgot the time because we got chatting to some aussies over a VB or 5, and missed our ferry back! oops, had to head off back to cairns the following day so never got to see jackie!

It was then off to green island in the barrier reef, what a beautiful place, just like you see in photographs. you could walk around the island in 20 minutes, well worth a visit, our suite was out of this world, an 8ft bed! i was like a starfish! the only downside was, millions of japanese tourists descended on the island from 8am till 4pm! well not quite millions!

our last night was in cairns itself, a beautiful place, we said we would've definately considered living there but there'd be no way we'd stand the humidy 95% in summer!!! temp 33.

Landed back at heathrow last sunday evening and stayed in one of the airport hotels. 2 am and we were both wide awake so just got up and drove back to sheffield. good to get back and see the kids but now can't wait to finally get the ball rolling. new passport now being sent for as we speak.

well, thats it folks, our new life together has began perfectly and we are so looking forwrd to migrating next year to continue it there. hope i haven't bored you with my little story. its good to be back on expats again and i look forward to chatting to some of you very soon

debs x
Old Jul 24th 2005, 7:27 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Arghh, honeymoon in cairns over, back to reality!

And you missed Bix.

Phew that was a lucky escape for your new life together.
Old Jul 24th 2005, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

congratulations debs, really chuffed you had a lovely time.
its been ages since we spoke on here!
were moving to townsville! you will have to pm me and let me know what you thought!
chat to you soon,

enjoy your new life

Trish
xx
Old Jul 24th 2005, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds great!!!!!
Glad you had such a wonderful honeymoon.
Where are you planning on settling when you get over there for good?

Tracey
Old Jul 24th 2005, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really nice

Originally Posted by debbiemc
hello all,
debs x
I sit here on a wet Sunday night reading your thread going a very deep shade of GREEN!!! lol sounds brill

Congratulations on your wedding,

best wishes Chris
Old Jul 25th 2005, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

thanks all for the good wishes all. with the amount of rain falling at the moment its like being back in the tropics minus the heat!, hey ho, typical british summer eh! still waiying for the heatwave we've been promised!

hi tracey, don't think we've chatted before. We've been loking at manly and scarborough and initially noosa. i was in noosa a couple of years ago and thought it was great but on speaking to a few aussie people whilst on honeymoon, we've been put off as all of them gave us the same reply, that it was full of snobs and property prices were through the roof!!

when we were leaving cairns, the customs guy got chatting to us, a good half hour and he gave us some fab tips. he was origionally from hull and emigrated as a child, his parents live in manly and himself in red? cant remember? he told us how beautiful manly was but no beaches, house prices higher than a short distance up the caost and they would still be a good investment as prices still slowly on the up, one of the areas was scarborough, good beaches, lots to do for all family members.

we're just waiting for passports to arrive back and then its finally all systems go. my daughter wants to finish school here which will be next july and then were off. i'm a paediatric nurse and am optamistic about getting a job, hubby,( how wierd that sounds!) is a painter and decorater. son, who will be 18 by then thinks he's buying a campervan and taking a gap year! i know there is the mater childrens in brissie but would rather work in a district general so have got to start looking around.

what about yourself? what, when and where? pe to chat again soon

debbie x
Old Jul 25th 2005, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

thanks all for the good wishes all. with the amount of rain falling at the moment its like being back in the tropics minus the heat!, hey ho, typical british summer eh! still waiying for the heatwave we've been promised!

hi tracey, don't think we've chatted before. We've been loking at manly and scarborough and initially noosa. i was in noosa a couple of years ago and thought it was great but on speaking to a few aussie people whilst on honeymoon, we've been put off as all of them gave us the same reply, that it was full of snobs and property prices were through the roof!!

when we were leaving cairns, the customs guy got chatting to us, a good half hour and he gave us some fab tips. he was origionally from hull and emigrated as a child, his parents live in manly and himself in red? cant remember? he told us how beautiful manly was but no beaches, house prices higher than a short distance up the caost and they would still be a good investment as prices still slowly on the up, one of the areas was scarborough, good beaches, lots to do for all family members.

we're just waiting for passports to arrive back and then its finally all systems go. my daughter wants to finish school here which will be next july and then were off. i'm a paediatric nurse and am optamistic about getting a job, hubby,( how wierd that sounds!) is a painter and decorater. son, who will be 18 by then thinks he's buying a campervan and taking a gap year! i know there is the mater childrens in brissie but would rather work in a district general so have got to start looking around.

what about yourself? what, when and where? pe to chat again soon

debbie x
Hi,
I am also a paed nurse. have a job in the royal brisbane but am not going to make my starting date so I don't know what will happen there, but I can't go without selling my house.

I'm also going to Brisbane (obviousy) and like the look of bayside but don't know whether i can afford to live there or not yet

So, I have the visa and job but no money

Tracey
Old Jul 25th 2005, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by tracey.d
Hi,
I am also a paed nurse. have a job in the royal brisbane but am not going to make my starting date so I don't know what will happen there, but I can't go without selling my house.

I'm also going to Brisbane (obviousy) and like the look of bayside but don't know whether i can afford to live there or not yet

So, I have the visa and job but no money

Tracey
congrats on the job and visa tracey, as for the money...join the club!!

where abouts is the royal brisbane and do you mind me asking why you chose to work there and not the mater childrens?

The reason i ask is the i'm really not fussed about working at a large, busy teaching hosp anymore and am looking more for a district general, although 'royal brisbane' dosen't sound like a small hospital!!

the housing market here is so slow isn't it? i do feel for all who are trying to sell at the mo and just hope that when we come to sell this, things have hotted up a little.

good luck tracey x
Old Jul 25th 2005, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

congrats on the job and visa tracey, as for the money...join the club!!

where abouts is the royal brisbane and do you mind me asking why you chose to work there and not the mater childrens?

The reason i ask is the i'm really not fussed about working at a large, busy teaching hosp anymore and am looking more for a district general, although 'royal brisbane' dosen't sound like a small hospital!!

the housing market here is so slow isn't it? i do feel for all who are trying to sell at the mo and just hope that when we come to sell this, things have hotted up a little.

good luck tracey x
Thanks,
I've sent you an email

Tracey