Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

arggggggggg bloody plumbing

arggggggggg bloody plumbing

Old May 11th 2006, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

g-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to all
Default arggggggggg bloody plumbing

hi

argggggggggggg again, we are havin a nightmare came out in feb on my hubbys visa he is a plumber/gas man. he phoned a few plumbers enquiring about work and they all informed him he needs to registered and he had to phone the plumbing commision which he did.

he had to apply to them to look at his qualifacations and cv, he then got told that he had to sit at least 5 exams before he can be registered and they can take up to three months each, after much persusation the plumbing commision offered him a temp registration untill he passed his exams but he would have to pay and also be in employment. We thought great stuff but not acording to local plumbers they wont touch him untill he has passed his registration. For the pleasure of takin these exams we had to pay another thousand dollars. We phoned DIMIA and they told us our TRA is worthless.

He got his first exam dates through today but it is not untill the end of may and that is only for one he has to wait for the others.

He has been lookin at any type of job and has been lucky to get a few weeks cih labouring. Today he even applied for the prison service

On a lighter note his golf has improved a hell of alot, apart from that we are enjoyin ozzie life, so any plumbers comin out in the near future BEWARE :scared:
Old May 11th 2006, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

bramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: arggggggggg bloody plumbing

Originally Posted by g-man
hi

argggggggggggg again, we are havin a nightmare came out in feb on my hubbys visa he is a plumber/gas man. he phoned a few plumbers enquiring about work and they all informed him he needs to registered and he had to phone the plumbing commision which he did.

he had to apply to them to look at his qualifacations and cv, he then got told that he had to sit at least 5 exams before he can be registered and they can take up to three months each, after much persusation the plumbing commision offered him a temp registration untill he passed his exams but he would have to pay and also be in employment. We thought great stuff but not acording to local plumbers they wont touch him untill he has passed his registration. For the pleasure of takin these exams we had to pay another thousand dollars. We phoned DIMIA and they told us our TRA is worthless.

He got his first exam dates through today but it is not untill the end of may and that is only for one he has to wait for the others.

He has been lookin at any type of job and has been lucky to get a few weeks cih labouring. Today he even applied for the prison service

On a lighter note his golf has improved a hell of alot, apart from that we are enjoyin ozzie life, so any plumbers comin out in the near future BEWARE :scared:
Even with aussie plumbing qualifications it doesn't get any easier. Best of luck with the prison service, it's certainly a more security.
Old May 11th 2006, 11:54 am
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

hi

Sounds about right, I got my gas licence straight away, but have,nt even bothered applying for the plumbing because I knew this was the case.
I have been offered 1 gas job, company van with fuel card but only $20 an hour, so thinking long term I decided to turn it down and started retraining as a welder, oldest apprentice in town
but the demand for welders is massive, and if that gas job went tits up I would be back to square 1,,,,,,, gotta get back to my home work now! he-he long devision!!! lets see now, brackets over multiplication divide addition subtract!!!
Old May 12th 2006, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulf
I have been offered 1 gas job, company van with fuel card but only $20 an hour, so thinking long term I decided to turn it down and started retraining as a welder, oldest apprentice in town

Not unless you are older than Mr P...he is first year apprentice plumber, having left his thirties behind...
You may end up earning a fortune as a qualified welder- must make up for the :scared: apprentice wages!
Old May 12th 2006, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

g-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pomster
Not unless you are older than Mr P...he is first year apprentice plumber, having left his thirties behind...
You may end up earning a fortune as a qualified welder- must make up for the :scared: apprentice wages!
hi does mister p work as a plumber in melbourne

cheers toni
Old May 12th 2006, 5:39 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: arggggggggg bloody plumbing

hi

I am reliably informed that if he was a Scottish plumber, he wouldn't have this problem; they'd just wave him straight into the job.

Thus:

Anyway, at the risk of annoying Fraser, (again) if you are Scottish, you can get a plumbing licence right away by just taking your qualifications / references etc to the office.

If you are English, you have to go on a course and take practical and theory exams.
Source.

See also:

I believe from our investigations that because SNIPEF are part of the world federation of plumbers your qualifications are recognised and accepted much more readily than if you are English because the english licensing is not part of this world federation.
Source.
Old May 12th 2006, 11:24 pm
Forum Regular

bramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Re: arggggggggg bloody plumbing

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I am reliably informed that if he was a Scottish plumber, he wouldn't have this problem; they'd just wave him straight into the job.

Thus:

Source.

See also:

Source.
I'm not so sure it's worth the effort of obtaining the plumbing licences. The current award rate has just gone up to $23.30/hr but most jobs are offered on a casual basis without any of the benefits of being directly employed.
There appears to be too many plumbers in the labour force at the moment and market forces are dictating employment conditions. Obviously local factors apply and this won't be the case in all areas, but most would like to live in a place better than the one left behind (certainly warmer at least).
The local council recently wanted a receptionist advertised at $24/hr, no licence, van, insurance, tools, etc required.
I just wish I had a microsoft word qualification instead of a folder full of plumbing certificates!
Old May 12th 2006, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

zermanedz has much to be proud ofzermanedz has much to be proud ofzermanedz has much to be proud ofzermanedz has much to be proud ofzermanedz has much to be proud ofzermanedz has much to be proud ofzermanedz has much to be proud ofzermanedz has much to be proud ofzermanedz has much to be proud ofzermanedz has much to be proud ofzermanedz has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bramptonbrian
I'm not so sure it's worth the effort of obtaining the plumbing licences. The current award rate has just gone up to $23.30/hr but most jobs are offered on a casual basis without any of the benefits of being directly employed.
There appears to be too many plumbers in the labour force at the moment and market forces are dictating employment conditions. Obviously local factors apply and this won't be the case in all areas, but most would like to live in a place better than the one left behind (certainly warmer at least).
The local council recently wanted a receptionist advertised at $24/hr, no licence, van, insurance, tools, etc required.
I just wish I had a microsoft word qualification instead of a folder full of plumbing certificates!
Oh no this is terrible. Hubbie is coming over to work soon from NZ (wellington) where there is loads of work but at 18 to 20 an hour. He is able to get gas registration straight away but not plumbing. Is it difficult to find work here???

We were hoping for high 20's per hour is this not the case here???
Old May 12th 2006, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

zermanedz has much to be proud ofzermanedz has much to be proud ofzermanedz has much to be proud ofzermanedz has much to be proud ofzermanedz has much to be proud ofzermanedz has much to be proud ofzermanedz has much to be proud ofzermanedz has much to be proud ofzermanedz has much to be proud ofzermanedz has much to be proud ofzermanedz has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by zermanedz
Oh no this is terrible. Hubbie is coming over to work soon from NZ (wellington) where there is loads of work but at 18 to 20 an hour. He is able to get gas registration straight away but not plumbing. Is it difficult to find work here???

by the way will be in Melbourne
Old May 12th 2006, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

by the way will be in Melbourne
At least you can get your nz qualifications recognised by the mutal path. Much easier too if you have nz drainlayer qualications as most jobs req plumber/drainer licences.
I guess its a matter of being in the right place at the right time and being part of the local network (unless like me you like to do it via the hard way!)
Old May 13th 2006, 12:00 am
Forum Regular

Sorry, just reread your post Having the gas licence only will obviously restrict employment opportunities. Don't believe the hipe that the tradesman is king in aus and I'd suggest sorting out a job before coming over if you need the money to survive.
Old May 13th 2006, 12:25 am
Forum Regular

Red face Re: arggggggggg bloody plumbing

Originally Posted by bramptonbrian
Sorry, just reread your post Having the gas licence only will obviously restrict employment opportunities. Don't believe the hipe that the tradesman is king in aus and I'd suggest sorting out a job before coming over if you need the money to survive.

not on my own then, i have my first exam dates it is the end of may but not too sure what to expect it is for mechanical services ( pratical skills test)

paul
Old May 13th 2006, 12:34 am
Forum Regular

not on my own then, i have my first exam dates it is the end of may but not too sure what to expect it is for mechanical services ( pratical skills test)

paul
Good luck with that, the courses I've done so far have either been embarrassingly easy or very difficult (was informed the last lot of entrants for the backflow prevention exam all, but 3, failed).
Mechanical services sounds hard, have you any idea what the content will be and had a good read of the resource material ?
Old May 13th 2006, 12:40 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

paul
I did the sanitary one, or rather didn't do it when I realised I had to fabricate a 50mm waste pipe in copper including making a branch all to be braised, there was also welding tasks and flashing tasks.
Old May 13th 2006, 12:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fraser
I did the sanitary one, or rather didn't do it when I realised I had to fabricate a 50mm waste pipe in copper including making a branch all to be braised, there was also welding tasks and flashing tasks.
C'mon, lets not get defeatest, after all we are the finest tradesmen on the planet. Bit of brazing, no problem. Bring on these exams, harder the better, lets sort out who's whos daddy!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.