Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aren't toilet rolls expensive here?!

Aren't toilet rolls expensive here?!

Old Nov 18th 2005, 12:15 pm
sunshinesarah

sunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud of
Default Aren't toilet rolls expensive here?!

Is it me or do people find toilet rolls expensive here in comparison to other things / UK?

And another thing - chocolate and crisps are dear too. remember the days when you could get four bars for a quid. Here, if you can can buy a Mars Bar for a dollar, you're doing well.

ON the other hand, for those interested, petrol's currently at $1.10 / litre here on Sunshine Coast. Still cheap for newies like me who've only been here a short time.
Old Nov 18th 2005, 12:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

gdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to all
Default Re: Aren't toilet rolls expensive here?!

Hi

talking of toilet rolls - make sure it's 3ply or your fingers go through!!

gd
Old Nov 18th 2005, 12:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunshinesarah
Is it me or do people find toilet rolls expensive here in comparison to other things / UK?

And another thing - chocolate and crisps are dear too. remember the days when you could get four bars for a quid. Here, if you can can buy a Mars Bar for a dollar, you're doing well.

ON the other hand, for those interested, petrol's currently at $1.10 / litre here on Sunshine Coast. Still cheap for newies like me who've only been here a short time.

Can I assume that toilet paper is less expensive here because there is generally more crap to put up with ?

Chocholate and crisps you can keep... I was rather hoping they just wouldn't be available at all
Old Nov 18th 2005, 12:52 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Echo the mention of three-ply, some stuff here is worse than you used to get at school!
Also be prepared for it to be scented Maybe I'l weird but the scent makes me feel physically sick - I have now found that Kleenex do an "unscented" variety, thank goodness, but most stuff is yucky-smelling. I can feel nauseated just walking down the supermarket aisle breathing it in, and Sainsburys was beautiful to visit the other wek - cos there was no sickly-sweet smell in the air
Old Nov 18th 2005, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

The S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to behold

On the subject of prices, we've been wondering roughly what kinda price is your average bottle of wine. You know the kinda stuff you drink everyday like we get here Banrock station approx £5, Blossom Hill approx £4-£5, Ernst and Julio £5 is it much the same there.
Old Nov 18th 2005, 12:57 pm
jib
BE Enthusiast

jib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nice

I bet scossie is spewing over this thread
Old Nov 18th 2005, 1:02 pm
Nicest member ( I think)

meelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The S's
On the subject of prices, we've been wondering roughly what kinda price is your average bottle of wine. You know the kinda stuff you drink everyday like we get here Banrock station approx £5, Blossom Hill approx £4-£5, Ernst and Julio £5 is it much the same there.
We bought a case of Hardys at Dan Murphys for equivalent of about 25 quid. Generally wine is cheap here and I've been told the clean skins are good value.
Old Nov 18th 2005, 1:40 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gdcollectables
Hi

talking of toilet rolls - make sure it's 3ply or your fingers go through!!

gd
Gooooooooooldfingeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ....
Old Nov 18th 2005, 2:23 pm
Nicest member ( I think)

meelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Gooooooooooldfingeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ....
Cadburys fingers more like!
Old Nov 19th 2005, 12:14 am
BE Enthusiast

gdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to all

Wet Ones!!
Old Nov 19th 2005, 12:43 am
Banned

NewOZ will become famous soon enoughNewOZ will become famous soon enough

use the water
Old Nov 19th 2005, 3:30 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe Australians have smaller ars*s than Brits.

Are wet ones cheaper than toilet rolls at least they would be thicker... .
Old Nov 19th 2005, 10:22 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annqldau
Maybe Australians have smaller ars*s than Brits.

Are wet ones cheaper than toilet rolls at least they would be thicker... .
I don't know if you can put wet ones into a septic tank though. I remember my 1st roll of Australian 2 ply kleenex, cottonelle or something like it I think, A bit of a shocker I can tell you. Reminded me of a visit to get my prostate checked out. I then discovered 3 ply which I don't remember having in the UK so not sure if it even existed. So all you brits comming out take a tip from me and skip the 2 ply prostate experience and go straight for 3 ply. :scared:
Old Nov 19th 2005, 10:43 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

This thread is shite
Buy the cheapest bog roll you can get your hands on
You shit, wipe your ass and move onto more important things.......
jesus.........................
Old Nov 19th 2005, 10:50 am

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Also be prepared for it to be scented Maybe I'l weird but the scent makes me feel physically sick - I have now found that Kleenex do an "unscented" variety, thank goodness, but most stuff is yucky-smelling.

I like the scented stuff!! The Mrs JTL hates it, she wants flipping unscented, unbleached, recycled biodegradable f'ing sand paper for the butt.

Me, I like the soft 3 ply scented loo roll. And if happens to have pictures of flowers or fish or whatever on it even better. In fact if someone invents a way to print novels on toilet roll it will save me bringing a book into the bog.

A scented interesting toilet roll to read!!! Another invention!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.