Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Areas (suburbs) in Sydney to avoid

Areas (suburbs) in Sydney to avoid

Old Apr 18th 2009, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Areas (suburbs) in Sydney to avoid

Originally Posted by katiev
Does anyone know if I'm eligible for Irish Citizenship through my grandmother? Ive read through just about everything,and still can't figure it out.

Her father though he went to South Africa never took up South African citizenship and died an Irish citizen [his parents were english],but my grandmother was born in SA.It states that my father can be given an irish passport,could I not do something with his citizenship/passport?
Yes if your grandparent was an Irish citizen and didnt renounce it then you are eligible for Irish citizenship. I am also in this category but am unable to prove anything as my grandmother is long dead and was born back in the 1880s and there are no records of her existence. If you have the documents then it shouldnt be a problem.
Old Apr 18th 2009, 11:19 am
Just Joined

katiev is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy
Yes if your grandparent was an Irish citizen and didnt renounce it then you are eligible for Irish citizenship. I am also in this category but am unable to prove anything as my grandmother is long dead and was born back in the 1880s and there are no records of her existence. If you have the documents then it shouldnt be a problem.
That's unfortunate ,I've researched my family tree extensively so have alot of paperwork.My grandmother is still alive,I know she is automatically an irish citizen because her father was,but I don't know if that does in fact extend to me because she was not born in ireland.
Old Apr 18th 2009, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katiev
That's unfortunate ,I've researched my family tree extensively so have alot of paperwork.My grandmother is still alive,I know she is automatically an irish citizen because her father was,but I don't know if that does in fact extend to me because she was not born in ireland.
I've had a quick trawl of the internet as I was interested by this and this is my interpretation of what I've found from here - http://www.citizensinformation.ie/ca...th_or_descent:

A Born in the island of Ireland on or before 31 December 2004 - Entitled to Irish citizenship or you are an Irish citizen
B Born on the island of Ireland on or after 1 January 2005 - Entitled to Irish citizenship if your parents are Irish. Entitled to Irish citizenship, if your parents are foreign nationals legally resident in the island of Ireland for 3 out of 4 years immediately prior to your birth.
C Child of A, born outside the island of Ireland - An Irish citizen
D Child of C and a grandchild of A, born outside the island of Ireland - Entitled to Irish citizenship, but you must first register in the Foreign Births Register
E a child of D and a great-grandchild of A, born outside the island of Ireland - Entitled to Irish citizenship, by having your birth registered in the Foreign Births Register, but only if your parent D had registered by the time of your birth.

Seems to me your great-grandfather is (A), your grandmother is (C), your father is (D) and you are (E) so you would only be entitled to Irish citizenship if your father had registered himself (or his mother had registered him) in the Foreign Births Register BEFORE you were born. I take it that didn't happen, in which case it doesn't look as though you are entitled to Irish citizenship. Sorry....
Old Apr 18th 2009, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

cockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by gere
Hi there

I am looking for safe (crime free) area in Sydney (or greater Sydney area). We plan to live in Sydney in the future, could you please advise me on the areas (suburbs) in Sydney (or greater Sydney area) to avoid.

Gere
first and foremost avoid south sydney (bankstown,greenacre,cabramatta,punchbowl)
it's full of lebanese and asians and would be the most dangerous by far on a par with the worst slums of east and south london
secondly avoid south west (liverpool,cambpelltown) for same reasons but not as bad
western sydney isn't all that bad in some parts but you need to know what parts are better (kings langley where i live but is more like the hills district)
but western sydney is boring beyond words, - in fact anywhere outside the city area is
if your looking at living in the suburbs i'd go for hills district, or if your loaded go for hornsby/ryde/north shore area
Old Apr 18th 2009, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cockney pommy
first and foremost avoid south sydney (bankstown,greenacre,cabramatta,punchbowl)
it's full of lebanese and asians and would be the most dangerous by far on a par with the worst slums of east and south london
secondly avoid south west (liverpool,cambpelltown) for same reasons but not as bad
western sydney isn't all that bad in some parts but you need to know what parts are better (kings langley where i live but is more like the hills district)
but western sydney is boring beyond words, - in fact anywhere outside the city area is
if your looking at living in the suburbs i'd go for hills district, or if your loaded go for hornsby/ryde/north shore area
Agree with the above, but there is life beyond the north shore. The Sutherland Shire is a great area...Cronulla, Miranda, Gymea, Kirrawee, etc. But we don't like to tell too many people so that its stays that way.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 12:00 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
Agree with the above, but there is life beyond the north shore. The Sutherland Shire is a great area...Cronulla, Miranda, Gymea, Kirrawee, etc. But we don't like to tell too many people so that its stays that way.
lol......the south shire peeps getting all indignant!! I like some of the Sutherland shire but it is just that bit too far for a good commute to the CBD. In fact its probably Cronulla out of all the area that I did not get a good feel for, seemed like a tired old seaside town to me, must of just caught it on a bad day.
For the OP, there will always be a North v South thang going on, both have their plusses and minuses.........just more minuses in the South! lmao!!
Old Apr 19th 2009, 12:45 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldn't life be very boring if we all liked the same things? I always say that Manly is a bit too Blackpool/Skegness/Southend for me.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
Wouldn't life be very boring if we all liked the same things? I always say that Manly is a bit too Blackpool/Skegness/Southend for me.
The only thing going for Manly is Jamie Lyon. The man's a star.

Like I said, we are happy to keep the Shire to ourselves. 45 - 50 minutes on the train to CBD, 25 mins to the airport and only just over an hour by car when I need to go to our office the other side of Penrith. The beaches, bays, Royal National Park, a quick exit to the south coast.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 12:56 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

BTW as preliminary research for buying we went to a few open house thingies yesterday; we had to be up early for a landlord's inspection so thought we'd make use of our Saturday morning for a change.

We looked at a few places in Artarmon - it's as far as we'd want to go up the train line and pretty good value for money, plus we wanted to look at town houses and garden apartments as we have 3 cats.

Conclusion: As expected, it's ok. Just ok. Not exciting in anyway but it has a few shops, post office, bottle-o, pizza place, etc. It's apartment-land, for sure. If I hadn't started working I think I would die of boredom there.

You can get an ok 2 bedder for 550-600k, maybe needing some cosmetic work.

We saw a nicer 3 bed ground floor unit with courtyard that, from a practical level (rather than love at first sight) we'd jump at if they'd renovated the bathrooms when they did the kitchen, and/or would budge from "Offers over 715K", which it doesn't sound like they will.

BTW for the avid DIYer (not us) there is a 2 bedder in the same block, The Laureate, that is in original 1980s showflat decor, complete with sellotape patching up some of the wallpaper that has great potential and asking 560k.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 5:05 am
Forum Regular

kips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by gere
Hi there

I am looking for safe (crime free) area in Sydney (or greater Sydney area). We plan to live in Sydney in the future, could you please advise me on the areas (suburbs) in Sydney (or greater Sydney area) to avoid.

Gere
Wouldn't want to live in Macquarie Fields, Matraville, Lewisham or Bankstown.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

scamp1976 is on a distinguished road

Just aim for the area's where minimum houseprices are 1.500.000 AUD.
Area's like Mosman are nice.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 9:58 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Totally disagree with that......I have not seen one Kiss Me Quick hat yet!!! lol
If you truly think that Manly is on a par with those three then you have either never been to those three or never been to Manly!!!!
But your right and I totally get the all have differing views rationale......my post previous to this of course was being mischievous!
Old Apr 19th 2009, 10:00 am
Social Grenade Thrower

BTW as preliminary research for buying we went to a few open house thingies yesterday; we had to be up early for a landlord's inspection so thought we'd make use of our Saturday morning for a change.

We looked at a few places in Artarmon - it's as far as we'd want to go up the train line and pretty good value for money, plus we wanted to look at town houses and garden apartments as we have 3 cats.

Conclusion: As expected, it's ok. Just ok. Not exciting in anyway but it has a few shops, post office, bottle-o, pizza place, etc. It's apartment-land, for sure. If I hadn't started working I think I would die of boredom there.

You can get an ok 2 bedder for 550-600k, maybe needing some cosmetic work.

We saw a nicer 3 bed ground floor unit with courtyard that, from a practical level (rather than love at first sight) we'd jump at if they'd renovated the bathrooms when they did the kitchen, and/or would budge from "Offers over 715K", which it doesn't sound like they will.

BTW for the avid DIYer (not us) there is a 2 bedder in the same block, The Laureate, that is in original 1980s showflat decor, complete with sellotape patching up some of the wallpaper that has great potential and asking 560k.
I know what you mean, I don't mind Artarmon for its position but to live there...yes I would if I had to and it does have a small cafe/restaurant area which is passable.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 10:31 am
Auntie Fa

Originally Posted by paddyo
Totally disagree with that......I have not seen one Kiss Me Quick hat yet!!! lol
If you truly think that Manly is on a par with those three then you have either never been to those three or never been to Manly!!!!
But your right and I totally get the all have differing views rationale......my post previous to this of course was being mischievous!
I've been to all 4.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 10:46 am
Social Grenade Thrower

I've been to all 4.
Then maybe you are being mischievous as well madam!!!