Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Areas near Mater to live

Areas near Mater to live

Old Sep 12th 2010, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

jomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nice
Question Areas near Mater to live

Hi All
I have a job offer from the Mater in Brisbane However I am getting bogged down with hours of research on areas. It is very difficult to gain proper insight over the net. Any ideas on suitable areas which are commutable with good schools and stuff to keep three girls amused 14,12 and 10 years. We live on the coast now so love that idea but it looks too far out to commute? Schools, nice area, things to do and commutable distance are our top priorities. Any advice would be appreciated.

Jo x
Old Sep 12th 2010, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

hollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud of
Default Re: Areas near Mater to live

You could email the Director of Nursing to find out the best place(s) to stay.
Do they have guest accommodation? We spent a few weeks in the Mater guest suites 'till we found somewhere to live. Mind you that was a different location to yours (North Queensland). Worth asking?
Good Luck!
HKA
x
Old Sep 13th 2010, 1:25 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jomac1290
Hi All
I have a job offer from the Mater in Brisbane However I am getting bogged down with hours of research on areas. It is very difficult to gain proper insight over the net. Any ideas on suitable areas which are commutable with good schools and stuff to keep three girls amused 14,12 and 10 years. We live on the coast now so love that idea but it looks too far out to commute? Schools, nice area, things to do and commutable distance are our top priorities. Any advice would be appreciated.

Jo x
The Mater is an easy walk from South Bank/Vulture St train station, so a train commute would be OK. Cleveland (55 minutes) and Wynnum (35 minutes) are both on the coast and the railway line. Also Sandgate and Shornecliffe (50 minutes, change at Central) on the north side

Don't even think about driving into work: the traffic will frustrate you beyond belief and parking will cost as much as the train fares.

Last edited by KJCherokee; Sep 13th 2010 at 1:41 am.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 2:00 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jomac1290
Hi All

Jo x
If it is within your budget, I would be thinking about looking at Highgate hill or west end.

Highgate hill would be the best location. 5mins walk to a great school and 5mins walk to your work. Brisbane CBD is approx 30mins walk over the goodwill bridge.

Here's the BSHS catchment area:
http://www.brisbaneshs.eq.edu.au/sit...chmentArea.pdf
Old Sep 13th 2010, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

jomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nice

Originally Posted by hollykimalan
You could email the Director of Nursing to find out the best place(s) to stay.
Do they have guest accommodation? We spent a few weeks in the Mater guest suites 'till we found somewhere to live. Mind you that was a different location to yours (North Queensland). Worth asking?
Good Luck!
HKA
x
Thanks Yes they did actually email me a list of areas, but I like to hear from the horses mouth so to speak ! Cheers Jo x
Old Sep 13th 2010, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by asprilla
If it is within your budget, I would be thinking about looking at Highgate hill or west end.

Highgate hill would be the best location. 5mins walk to a great school and 5mins walk to your work. Brisbane CBD is approx 30mins walk over the goodwill bridge.

Here's the BSHS catchment area:
http://www.brisbaneshs.eq.edu.au/sit...chmentArea.pdf

Thank you will get onto researching these areas. We are renting initially but house prices long term will also affect our decision Cheers Jo x
Old Sep 13th 2010, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
The Mater is an easy walk from South Bank/Vulture St train station, so a train commute would be OK. Cleveland (55 minutes) and Wynnum (35 minutes) are both on the coast and the railway line. Also Sandgate and Shornecliffe (50 minutes, change at Central) on the north side

Don't even think about driving into work: the traffic will frustrate you beyond belief and parking will cost as much as the train fares.
Thank you It is so hard to just distances from the web even with all these fabulous sites. Cheers Jo x
Old Sep 13th 2010, 10:07 pm
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

It all depends how much cash you have for a place. I would look at any area between the Dutton Park station and Yeerongpilly station on the link below but these areas wont be cheap.

http://www.queenslandrail.com.au/All...SouthEast.aspx

I also like any of the suburbs between Indooroopilly station and Corinda station on the link below.

http://www.queenslandrail.com.au/All...SouthWest.aspx
Old Sep 13th 2010, 10:25 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
Alternatively if you're workingnursing hours - you wont be travelling in peak hour, public transport will be infrequent and iritating after working a 12 hour shifts and you'll REALLY want to have some alone time in the car.

Off-peak travel to and from Mater is pretty good - no severe traffic issues and even if you cant find a free street parking space, the car parks around the Mater are subsidised for staff members so it'll work out cheaper to drive than catch public transport.

I'd be concentrating your search based on school quality and housing affordability and THEN considering how long the commute is - My wife works at the mater and finds the 20 minute drive from our little pocket of NW Brisbane no problem at all.