British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Areas to avoid - Adelaide (SA) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/areas-avoid-adelaide-sa-583488/)

seayork2002 Jan 11th 2009 9:35 pm

Areas to avoid - Adelaide (SA)

Hi,

For those in the know we have changed our mind and am no longer thinking of Hallett Cove. We have just starting looking at Woodville North, Woodville Gardens, Kilkenny, Mitchell Park, Marion and Plympton Park.

Are there suburbs dodgy at all? High Crime etc.

And are there any others to definitely avoid?

I know this subject can be subjective but all advice will be useful.

Thank you

marco121068 Jan 12th 2009 7:28 am

Re: Areas to avoid - Adelaide (SA)

Originally Posted by seayork2002 (Post 7153838)
Hi,

For those in the know we have changed our mind and am no longer thinking of Hallett Cove. We have just starting looking at Woodville North, Woodville Gardens, Kilkenny, Mitchell Park, Marion and Plympton Park.

Are there suburbs dodgy at all? High Crime etc.

And are there any others to definitely avoid?

I know this subject can be subjective but all advice will be useful.

Thank you

Woodville & Kilkenny etc are certainly handy areas for the CBD and northern suburbs. Fair bit of old industrial buildings in Woodville North, though the area seems to be getting a load of money thrown in as lots is being redeveloped around there. The Racecourse at Cheltenham will be turned into housing at some stage soon(ish).

Graham and Maria Jan 12th 2009 7:35 am

Ive been recently look at moving from Canberra to Hallett cove, out of interest whats put you off as the houses seem very attractively priced, some with sea views ect.

A friend of mine lives near Glenelg and said Hallett wasnt too bad a place to live and certainly better then the likes of Elizabeth where property is also very low priced.

Share your findings pls :)

seayork2002 Jan 12th 2009 7:40 am

Hi,

I put it badly as I still think it is a brillant place to live so it wasn't Hallet Cove itself it is just the location from Adelaide itself, my husband and I both work in the University sector so we are not sure where will end up working so want to be as close to Adelaide as possible (but it a nice but affortable area)

Hope this helps

Hills Boy Jan 12th 2009 10:36 am

Originally Posted by seayork2002 (Post 7155271)
...my husband and I both work in the University sector so we are not sure where will end up working so want to be as close to Adelaide as possible...

Don't normally get involved in these posts but this advice should be innocuous enough for 99.99% of the people on here not to go off on a north vs south tangent.

Depending what you do in the sector it would be worth checking out what faculties are at which campus for each Uni around Adelaide. For example, a large part of Flinders Uni (if not all) is in the Bedford Park area (well south of the CBD) while parts of UniSA are in Mawson Lakes (north of the CBD).

seayork2002 Jan 12th 2009 10:41 am

You are right. I am serious when I say I never thought of that (I am not trying to be "smart").

Originally Posted by Hills Boy (Post 7155783)
Don't normally get involved in these posts but this advice should be innocuous enough for 99.99% of the people on here not to go off on a north vs south tangent.

Depending what you do in the sector it would be worth checking out what faculties are at which campus for each Uni around Adelaide. For example, a large part of Flinders Uni (if not all) is in the Bedford Park area (well south of the CBD) while parts of UniSA are in Mawson Lakes (north of the CBD).

pumpkin blossom Jan 12th 2009 11:18 am

I live in South Plympton and it takes me about half an hour in traffic to get to the Waite campus.
Would take about 15 minutes to get to Flinders I recon.
I used to get the bus to Adelaide uni in the city and had to set off about an our before I was due to start work.

I like Plympton. Has all the shops you need, not too far from Marion for shops. Only about 15 minutes from the beach.
We have not experianced any crime.

Good luck