Reload this Page >

Architectural jobs Perth

Architectural jobs Perth

Old Apr 3rd 2012, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

koolkat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Architectural jobs Perth

Hi all,

Im a british architect moved to Perth in january and can not get a job.

I have had interviews with some very good firms, where they keep saying come back when get more projects. Smaller firms Im either over qualified or dont want to risk someone without local experience.

I dont know what I am doing wrong as I have had interviews in the past in UK etc and they usually go fine.

I'm starting to think there is bugger all work for british architects here. Perth seems mining boom and thats just about it.

Ive tried going for drafting jobs but I think they rather want someone who is local and has just been doing that stuff already and can jump on board.

Im still plugging a long, there are still jobs advertised but all the jobs advertised they say they get overwhelming reponses and it all takes time and this is frustrating.

Any advice?
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 9:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Architectural jobs Perth

Originally Posted by koolkat
Hi all,

Im a british architect moved to Perth in january and can not get a job.

I have had interviews with some very good firms, where they keep saying come back when get more projects. Smaller firms Im either over qualified or dont want to risk someone without local experience.

I dont know what I am doing wrong as I have had interviews in the past in UK etc and they usually go fine.

I'm starting to think there is bugger all work for british architects here. Perth seems mining boom and thats just about it.

Ive tried going for drafting jobs but I think they rather want someone who is local and has just been doing that stuff already and can jump on board.

Im still plugging a long, there are still jobs advertised but all the jobs advertised they say they get overwhelming reponses and it all takes time and this is frustrating.

Any advice?
Sydney and Melbourne mate...... Brisbane at a stretch ..... The same problem the world over ..... Too many architects, not enough buildings.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

Look at it this way. You are at a distinct disadvantage due to not having local experience. Unless you were the best candidate for the job by a stretch, it's unlikely you will get anything.

I'm an Architectural Technician with over 12 years experience in the UK.

Apart from Melbourne there seems to be a huge amount of Architects, Technicians and Drafters out of work and only a handful of jobs going round. Here in Adelaide, I can't even get a job with a home builder company modifying their standard designs as they prefer someone that's worked locally.

I have a years local experience here in Adelaide, and get an interview with 90% of the jobs I apply for, but as soon as they discover I'm a brit with limited experience here, they seem to lose all interest.

We are either going to try a move to Melbourne or back to the UK in the next month or so, haven't decided just yet.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

part2_architect is an unknown quantity at this point

hey,

Just wondering if you managed to find work in Perth? myself and hubby are looking into moving to Oz - the visa co is telling us that Perth is the place to go for architects! (?)they still have architects on the skills list - it is a bit worrying to read your post!

Thanks