Reload this Page >

Architect Jobs in Oz

Architect Jobs in Oz

Old Sep 17th 2012, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

Flames123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Architect Jobs in Oz

Hello all,

with all but my meds finalized for the Visa Grant - i was looking at the job scene Down Under.

Am an Architect with over 10 years experience - largely in Corporate , Hospitality and High-end Residence interiors.

have been positively assesed by the AACA for migration purpose only. In order for me to register as a full fledged architect - i will need to work under an Australian registered architect for 2 years atleast .

I am proficient with Auto CAD, photoshop etc. for presentations - but not typically required by me for designing purposes.

I see a lot of requirements for Revit - i don't know the software but am not averse to learning it. I am more inclined towards Perth - but most jobs more suited to my experience seem to be from Sydney.

heres my question - what is the job scene like in Oz?
What salaries would I realistically looking at? Do appreciate any answers whatsoever.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 12:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Architect Jobs in Oz

Originally Posted by Flames123
Hello all,

with all but my meds finalized for the Visa Grant - i was looking at the job scene Down Under.

Am an Architect with over 10 years experience - largely in Corporate , Hospitality and High-end Residence interiors.

have been positively assesed by the AACA for migration purpose only. In order for me to register as a full fledged architect - i will need to work under an Australian registered architect for 2 years atleast .

I am proficient with Auto CAD, photoshop etc. for presentations - but not typically required by me for designing purposes.

I see a lot of requirements for Revit - i don't know the software but am not averse to learning it. I am more inclined towards Perth - but most jobs more suited to my experience seem to be from Sydney.

heres my question - what is the job scene like in Oz?
What salaries would I realistically looking at? Do appreciate any answers whatsoever.
Yes Sydney and Melbourne probably has the most architectural jobs. Construction is not exactly booming in Oz right now, but jobs are can be found.

Revit is the devil and unfortunately Oz has some fascination with it - a bit like they have with i-phones probably because Oz is the most marketing gullible country on the planet.

10 years experience .... hhmmm ... $70,000 maybe.... As you are probably well aware, unless you are running your own show, Architects are paid like shite.

It's only fair to warn you. The modern architecture in Oz it complete rubbish and completely driven by "what's the cheapest". If you are used to doing a little bit of nice stuff in London, throw that idea completely out the door when you work in Oz
Old Sep 17th 2012, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

Question Re: Architect Jobs in Oz

Originally Posted by Beoz
Yes Sydney and Melbourne probably has the most architectural jobs. Construction is not exactly booming in Oz right now, but jobs are can be found.

Revit is the devil and unfortunately Oz has some fascination with it - a bit like they have with i-phones probably because Oz is the most marketing gullible country on the planet.

10 years experience .... hhmmm ... $70,000 maybe.... As you are probably well aware, unless you are running your own show, Architects are paid like shite.

It's only fair to warn you. The modern architecture in Oz it complete rubbish and completely driven by "what's the cheapest". If you are used to doing a little bit of nice stuff in London, throw that idea completely out the door when you work in Oz

well, that seems to be the norm !!...i do rather decent stuff here in the Middle East. People have the money to splurge and have no qualms doing so!!

from a tax free country to Oz , and at 70K sounds rather disappointing!
Would i be able to manage (atleast till OH finds a job) ..and raise a family w/ 3 kids?
Old Sep 17th 2012, 9:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flames123
well, that seems to be the norm !!...i do rather decent stuff here in the Middle East. People have the money to splurge and have no qualms doing so!!

from a tax free country to Oz , and at 70K sounds rather disappointing!
Would i be able to manage (atleast till OH finds a job) ..and raise a family w/ 3 kids?
Oh they have the money here, but they have no appreciation of what value good design can give a project.

70000 - 90000 probably and yes then that is taxed. You'll need the dual income
Old Sep 25th 2012, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

part2_architect is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Flames123,

I am also looking where the best place is to go for architectural work in Oz, unfortunately I don't have quite the same experience as you! I graduated from my part 2 at what was been the worst time ever! I am getting mixed feed back from friends in oz and also our visa agent. Visa agent saying Perth and some friends saying Melb although from what I understand things have slowed there quite significantly and Architects have been removed from the skills in demand list for Victoria. Fortunately my OH is in a better position as his skills are in high demand everywhere it would seem! as the main reason for moving is for me to find work its so important we chose the right state! Though we can never know for sure until we try...

My friends in Melbourne are earning $75k + with much less experience than you have so I would be hopeful for you that you'll be on that at least. Visa agent advising us avg salary for an Architect in Oz is $80K.

Do you have any contacts in Architecture world in OZ?
Old Sep 25th 2012, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Architect Jobs in Oz

Hey there!!
well, do i know any Architects..... just the one in Adelaide and she did not sound too hopeful. having said that, not may ppl like discussing salaries when we know them personally. So i refrain from asking them such direct questions - even as to what we should be expecting. A public forum like this seems more helpful on that front.

I know my experience is good - question is will the Aussies think so and hire me on grounds of my overseas experience. moreover I am Asian - i dont know if that will affect my interview or package in any way ( i know Aussies are great and don't discriminate - but their humans too )

With regards to Melbourne i keep getting mixed signals (even though that seems ideal to me) - I know Sydney has maximum opportunities but am more inclined to either Melbourne or Perth.....

Fingers crossed!! and all the best to you as well
Old Sep 25th 2012, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

I think we won't know until we try, no matter what anyone advises you can't be sure really. we are trying to decide between Melbourne and Perth also. I have lots of friends in Melbourne which is a massive bonus and then family in Perth, but no contacts in Architecture world. OH voting for Perth - we were there 18 months ago and it really is a lovely place... Its very family orientated too.

When do you hope to move? I'd love to hear how you get on and I will keep you updated of any news I hear re work opportunities etc.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

i2avi is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi fellow Architects

I am going to be moving to Perth with OH and baby in November...we are fortunate to have a good family/friends (who have been there for over 20 yrs) support structure in Perth so not as daunting as if we had no one there when we arrive..... however let me fill you in with job prospects.

Having sent 100s of CV to Architect firms not one has offered me a job yet , however don't let that put you off...the thing I like about Australian firms is they have the courtesy of replying to emails and are more than happy to speak to you on the telephone.

Everyone I have spoken to have said unless you are in the country they are not interested...job wise there are opportunities and have lined up some meetings with employers so I am confident of landing a job when in Perth.

Would be interesting to hear from Architects based in Australia who can give a more detailed review of the current state of job prospects in our field as above is only my experience.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 11:28 am
Just Joined

Hey i2avi,

You must be so excited to be moving in November! Brilliant you have family in Perth also, its great to have that support network. That would be a major plus for us also. Perth is a beautiful place to live. I have not heard much about the Architecture opportunities here however they still have architects on the skilled list so there has to be work. What did the firms you were in contact with say? Were they encouraging?

All my friends working in Architecture are in Sydney and Melbourne. One friend is in Perth but he ended up going out to the mines to work and is planning to try Melbourne for Architecture work in next few weeks. So he is going to feed back to me how he gets on. I am also waiting on a 'friend of a friend' who was looking for architecture work in Perth to get back to me on what her experience has been, as soon as I do I will let you know also.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

i2avi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by part2_architect
Hey i2avi,

You must be so excited to be moving in November! Brilliant you have family in Perth also, its great to have that support network. That would be a major plus for us also. Perth is a beautiful place to live. I have not heard much about the Architecture opportunities here however they still have architects on the skilled list so there has to be work. What did the firms you were in contact with say? Were they encouraging?

All my friends working in Architecture are in Sydney and Melbourne. One friend is in Perth but he ended up going out to the mines to work and is planning to try Melbourne for Architecture work in next few weeks. So he is going to feed back to me how he gets on. I am also waiting on a 'friend of a friend' who was looking for architecture work in Perth to get back to me on what her experience has been, as soon as I do I will let you know also.
Very exciting yes, saying good bye is going to be tough. The encouragement given by those already in Perth has kept us motivated.

You are absolutely right why would they have it on SOL if there weren't any jobs? To answer this, I'd say the firms we've spoken to have been very encouraging and jobs are available but have reiterated that you need to be in Perth for them to take you seriously.

Please let me know what your friend says, and please feel free to fire questions.

Rav